BENJOLIN 4U

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

frequenzteiler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by frequenzteiler » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:10 pm

" there's trimmers on the back to adjust each vcos "
where did u put them ? schematically ?
my benjolin also gives me about 1-2 octaves. but more is welcome :hihi:

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:28 am

anto32 wrote:
FatRocky wrote:Is it possible to get a Serge style adaptation from this Buchla pcb? I think the addition of clock in is something i want to try! Cool to have a wilder tabletop benjolin with no sync, but in a modular set up?
A Serge panel is something to draw and there's some adaptations to make for input voltages. I can try to imagine a layout. Could be cool!
FatRocky wrote:Is the Clock IN a possible mod that can be added to older Bejolin boards?
Of course you have to cut vco2 to pin10 of the CD4021 and replace it with a pulse that reach at least 2v.
Thanks for the info.

What i like of some Serge layouts is the control knobs at the bottom and all IN-OUT sockets at the top, very handy for tabletop playable modules , like the Benjolin.

anto32
Common Wiggler

Post by anto32 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:46 pm

frequenzteiler wrote:" there's trimmers on the back to adjust each vcos "
where did u put them ? schematically ?
my benjolin also gives me about 1-2 octaves. but more is welcome :hihi:
Yes, add a new cv input with a 51k resistor and a 10k trimmer in serie

ArguZ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ArguZ » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:14 am

できますか ?? ;)

anto32
Common Wiggler

Post by anto32 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:55 pm

Hahaha! Yes we can!!

No more RED for now guys

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:12 pm

Man I would love to feature this module on an episode of the Source of Uncertainty podcast. Hopefully someone will loan us one if they can peel themselves away from it!

wedaman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wedaman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi all,
I got a red one. This module is very functional and beautiful. I really like it.
And anoto32 is a gentle man and a nice guy.
Thank you.

anto32
Common Wiggler

Post by anto32 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:57 pm

mutierend wrote:Man I would love to feature this module on an episode of the Source of Uncertainty podcast. Hopefully someone will loan us one if they can peel themselves away from it!
Yes, I had some difficulties to put my demo videos all together. I believe that it's a lot of work due to the different approaches and musical directions you can go with this module. I'm very curious to hear your approach! Your podcasts are awesome, thanks you guys

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:05 pm

CLee wrote:
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
Prunesquallor wrote:I'd be interested in a LW Serge version of this.
+1
My 4U Benjolin. IIRC it was a FPE panel with Lazertran art. I'd be happy to share the layout and art if anyone wants it

This is great! the one i like the most. How deep it is? i´d like to have this one table top , the layout is perfect for playing it a la Serge.

I´m currently building a Bits i got from SynthCube, and have one of your Orgone Accumulators in LW full kit coming next week as well. After that i´d be very happy to build this. Are you planing a DIY kit version for sale?
:tu:

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:15 pm

FatRocky wrote: This is great! the one i like the most. How deep it is? i´d like to have this one table top , the layout is perfect for playing it a la Serge.

I´m currently building a Bits i got from SynthCube, and have one of your Orgone Accumulators in LW full kit coming next week as well. After that i´d be very happy to build this. Are you planing a DIY kit version for sale?
Hey, glad you're enjoying some of my modules.

This is built from a PCB run that Pete Hartman did (with permission from Rob). I'm not using Pete's layout of the controls so its all point-to-point wiring for the pots and jacks.

The build has the Benjolin PCB, CGS reverb, and a small mixer which you could easily build or use a CGS PCB. Rob allows limited runs of the Benjolin boards and I don't think Pete is planning another one. I was offering the artwork if anyone wanted it, though I've discovered that I don't have the final art, just an earlier version.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:51 pm

CLee wrote:
FatRocky wrote: This is great! the one i like the most. How deep it is? i´d like to have this one table top , the layout is perfect for playing it a la Serge.

Hey, glad you're enjoying some of my modules.

This is built from a PCB run that Pete Hartman did (with permission from Rob). I'm not using Pete's layout of the controls so its all point-to-point wiring for the pots and jacks.

The build has the Benjolin PCB, CGS reverb, and a small mixer which you could easily build or use a CGS PCB. Rob allows limited runs of the Benjolin boards and I don't think Pete is planning another one. I was offering the artwork if anyone wanted it, though I've discovered that I don't have the final art, just an earlier version.
Yes i like your modules, I saw the videos in your youtube channel. I haven´t finished to build Bits as i didn´t come with all pots and some ic , I´m waiting for the Orgone to arrive to see if I have to order some more components. Also i haven´t programmed the Arduino code on the teensy.

Can i send you a pm regarding doing the Arduino thing?

I hope to get a Benjolin pcb, i might ask Charlie to build me one in LW. He just built and sent one of your Quantizers with display and microtune mod, can´t wait to receive it.

:guinness:

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:09 am

FatRocky wrote:Can i send you a pm regarding doing the Arduino thing?

I hope to get a Benjolin pcb, i might ask Charlie to build me one in LW. He just built and sent one of your Quantizers with display and microtune mod, can´t wait to receive it.

Of course feel free to contact me.

Specifically on Arduino programing, you could also look at the original OA Euro build thread, there's probably discussions of it there. But if you'd like to dicuss, email me so we don't derail the Benjolin thread.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:26 am

CLee wrote:
FatRocky wrote:Can i send you a pm regarding doing the Arduino thing?

Of course feel free to contact me.

Specifically on Arduino programing, you could also look at the original OA Euro build thread, there's probably discussions of it there. But if you'd like to dicuss, email me so we don't derail the Benjolin thread.
Excellent thanks! I'll go to the threads.

anto32
Common Wiggler

Post by anto32 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:36 am

[video][/video]

lumin
Common Wiggler

Post by lumin » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:01 pm

that was dope. nice vid.
anto32 wrote:[video][/video]

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:31 pm

A very nice fellow Wiggler loaned me his Benjolin for the past month or so and I've been having a ton of fun with it. It definitely rewards exploration. I recorded this track with just the Benjolin PWM output to the VCF in, and the VCF out to the 227e, with effects from Echo Boy. Modulation is from the 223e and the 282e.

http://soundcloud.com/mutierend/buchla- ... experiment

vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vgermuse » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:26 pm

Wow Mutierend!!! Simply awesome :sb:
Thanks for sharing. :party:

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:14 pm

vgermuse wrote:Wow Mutierend!!! Simply awesome :sb:
Thanks for sharing. :party:
Thank you. ;) I asked anto32 to build one for me.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:34 am

How can I get a PCB to build a 4u Serge adaptation? :hmm:

pftjschute
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pftjschute » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:37 pm

FatRocky wrote:How can I get a PCB to build a 4u Serge adaptation? :hmm:
+1

Prunesquallor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Prunesquallor » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:39 am

pftjschute wrote:
FatRocky wrote:How can I get a PCB to build a 4u Serge adaptation? :hmm:
+1
+2
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

anto32
Common Wiggler

Post by anto32 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:49 am

Hi,
Do you ask me a Serge PCB +Panel Kit with the same mods implemented to the 4U Buchla? Sorry, I don't have such kits. And if it would happen, you should ask Rob his permission to sale this project.
The circuit is under licence as you know. So, as we have an agreement, I'm only building the Buchla format. Thinking about it I'm really excited to make a Benjolin for my Serge system, but if I do something, would probably be a one-off build. At the moment not at the top of my to do list.

As a short time solution, I may suggest you, to imagine and draw a Serge panel first and make your own circuit, in a DIY Serge way. Breadboarding is really doable, you just need time. Moreover, for a module you do for yourself you don't need to deal with the contingency problems that must be solved in a mass production.
Of course, I will be happy to help, and not the only one here, for sure.

davebr
Veteran Wiggler

Re: BENJOLIN 4U

Post by davebr » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:11 pm

He sent me a PCB and panel set for my help so I built it. I have a few pictures on my Buchla format Benjolin page. I didn't add any operational information since I have that on my 5U Bejjolin page.

Dave

Modulisme
Learning to Wiggle

Re: BENJOLIN 4U

Post by Modulisme » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:46 am

Thank you so much for adapting this fantastic module to the Buchla format

:yay:

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”