Buchla Podcast

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

gaslampmusehog
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Buchla Podcast

Post by gaslampmusehog » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:20 pm

Great show today!

Fuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by Fuzz » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks gaslampmusehog!

For those who haven't heard it yet, here is the new episode of the podcast with Todd Barton.

darksparkler.bandcamp.com - Music
sourceofuncertainty.audio - Podcast

hamgristle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hamgristle » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:01 am

another great episode guys!!!
I've always loved this quote from the 200e Users Guide:

In Don’s words: “The Twisted version introduces some radically weird timbres. It is
definitely not recommended for those over 25 years of age or for anyone with golden ears.”

momo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by momo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:24 am

I always enjoy these podcasts - thanks so much to the guys producing them. I’m halfway through the latest one, there appeared to be quite a lot left out or not quite accurate about the 259e. I mean, I don’t know what the goal is in terms of casual interest vs. super nerding out. For example I made a lot of notes from back in the day - from the Yahoo 200e list and old threads here (that are probably hard to review in chronological order + fish out the tidbits). So I’ll email you guys in case any of it is of interest, or should you revisit the 259e in the future. BTW anytime you decide to plug in a banana CV out to Buchla audio in, you should probably announce a disclaimer that the system was not engineered for such use, and advise user caution and/or attenuation to prevent module damage.

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:41 pm

momo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:24 am
I always enjoy these podcasts - thanks so much to the guys producing them. I’m halfway through the latest one, there appeared to be quite a lot left out or not quite accurate about the 259e. I mean, I don’t know what the goal is in terms of casual interest vs. super nerding out. For example I made a lot of notes from back in the day - from the Yahoo 200e list and old threads here (that are probably hard to review in chronological order + fish out the tidbits). So I’ll email you guys in case any of it is of interest, or should you revisit the 259e in the future. BTW anytime you decide to plug in a banana CV out to Buchla audio in, you should probably announce a disclaimer that the system was not engineered for such use, and advise user caution and/or attenuation to prevent module damage.
The podcast is really a couple of fans having fun. Kyle doesn't have a 259e, and I don't purport to be an expert. We just like talking and exploring. One of the great things about doing the podcast, for me, is learning from listeners. If you'd like to share your notes, I'd be very happy to add clarifications and more info in the next episode.

You make a good point re: module damage. I didn't think about it because the voltage range was 0+ and wouldn't reach audio rate, but that's still an assumption. I did look at the voltage in my Mordax DATA before trying it out. We need a good solid FAQ about this kind of stuff, e.g., voltage ranges, stacking inputs, and so on.

chachi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chachi » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 am

non-buchla user here enjoying the podcast. sometimes, and this is not hard to understand, there are some module numbers and general buchla info taken for granted and i get a little confused but not nearly enough to curtail enjoyment.

would love to hear an interview with richard smith!

gaslampmusehog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gaslampmusehog » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:31 pm

Thanks for the new episode. Kind of exactly what I need right now!

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:52 pm

chachi wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 am
non-buchla user here enjoying the podcast. sometimes, and this is not hard to understand, there are some module numbers and general buchla info taken for granted and i get a little confused but not nearly enough to curtail enjoyment.

would love to hear an interview with richard smith!
TBH this is really challenging for us too. I try to say the name of the module when we use the model number, but it can get fatiguing to say "Multi-dimensional kinesthetic input port" a bunch of times. Kyle and I debated this for a while (too bad we didn't record that for Patreon!). In eurorack, there are module names that are super well-known even though they don't really "mean" anything, like Maths and Batumi, and there are module names that are esoteric, like Doepfer A-151. So we try to say the name of the module at least once and then use the numbers afterwards. Maybe we can make sure we point out what a module does if we casually mention it.

In the March episode, we talk about the influx of new and interested folks, so perhaps that's something we should explore further. And if you have suggestions on how we can make the terminology and discussions more inclusive, please let us know!
Last edited by mutierend on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by Fuzz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:54 pm

We're happy to provide some escapism during this time!

Part 2 of this episode will be out in 2 weeks, and over 2 hours of performance and patch breakdown videos will become available throughout the next several weeks to Patreon supporters at patreon.com/sourceofuncertainty.

Thanks for listening!
darksparkler.bandcamp.com - Music
sourceofuncertainty.audio - Podcast

hamgristle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hamgristle » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:50 pm

Enjoying ep10!!!
Thanks Guys

Common Wiggler

Post by 01235813 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 am

Fuzz wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:54 pm
We're happy to provide some escapism during this time!

Part 2 of this episode will be out in 2 weeks, and over 2 hours of performance and patch breakdown videos will become available throughout the next several weeks to Patreon supporters at patreon.com/sourceofuncertainty.

Thanks for listening!
:yay:

Great show.

It's great how you talk about newcomers, empathy at it's best.

Robert's statement: "I like having my assumptions challenged", deserves a mention. Well said.

:chug:

chachi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chachi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:42 pm

mutierend wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:52 pm

TBH this is really challenging for us too. I try to say the name of the module when we use the model number, but it can get fatiguing to say "Multi-dimensional kinesthetic input port" a bunch of times. Kyle and I debated this for a while (too bad we didn't record that for Patreon!). In eurorack, there are module names that are super well-known even though they don't really "mean" anything, like Maths and Batumi, and there are module names that are esoteric, like Doepfer A-151. So we try to say the name of the module at least once and then use the numbers afterwards. Maybe we can make sure we point out what a module does if we casually mention it.

In the March episode, we talk about the influx of new and interested folks, so perhaps that's something we should explore further. And if you have suggestions on how we can make the terminology and discussions more inclusive, please let us know!
thanks for your reply. yeah, i tried to think of a way of overcoming this problem but you’re right, unless it has a nice acronym like MARF, it’s tough to do. the doepfer stuff is a good example, i STILL have to look up most modules, even some that i’ve owned!

i guess i’ll just have to buckle down and learn the numbers. dang. 8-)

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:08 pm

Make a small cheat sheet and keep it near whatever device you use to read the posts. I have a folder I can open up with the numbers and names listed.

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:39 pm

chachi wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:42 pm

thanks for your reply. yeah, i tried to think of a way of overcoming this problem but you’re right, unless it has a nice acronym like MARF, it’s tough to do. the doepfer stuff is a good example, i STILL have to look up most modules, even some that i’ve owned!

i guess i’ll just have to buckle down and learn the numbers. dang. 8-)
It doesn't take very long, especially if you focus on the 200e stuff.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”