Buchla Podcast

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

YE'OLDE BOY
Common Wiggler

Post by YE'OLDE BOY » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:58 am

To be honest it's the not knowing whats next I like.

I get it that the module is linked with the guest as they can open up a whole world of information on their use in a real life situation.

I like the way you go through the evolution of how a module started out in the 100 and developed to it's 200e what was dropped or added.

the 230e might have to be in two parts :hihi: [/quote]

gruvsyco
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gruvsyco » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:29 pm

mutierend wrote:The 230e episode is 3x longer.
Just a heads up. the https in you sig is giving an invalid response when clicked. http on the other hand redirects correctly.

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:35 pm

gruvsyco wrote:
Just a heads up. the https in you sig is giving an invalid response when clicked. http on the other hand redirects correctly.
Thanks for that. I broke the cardinal rule and didn't test it. :deadbanana:

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:51 am

Episode 2 of Source of Uncertainty is out!

For the second episode of Source Of Uncertainty we tread into deep waters with the control voltage leviathan known as the Multiple Arbitrary Function Generator Model 248. We are then honored to talk with the iconic composer and Buchla legend Suzanne Ciani!

Enjoy!

gruvsyco
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gruvsyco » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:35 pm

https://sourceofuncertainty.podbean.com/

because the redirect does not appear to be working right now.

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:15 pm

gruvsyco wrote:https://sourceofuncertainty.podbean.com/

because the redirect does not appear to be working right now.
DNS and SSL woes. The redirect should be working now. :)

gaslampmusehog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gaslampmusehog » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:38 pm

I’ve searched the web, but cannot find an image of Ciani’s 248’s + Klee setup. Does anyone have an image?

ryangaston
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ryangaston » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:42 pm

Excellent podcast yet again—I don't have a MARF personally, but sitting through the conversation about it really made me reconsider a lot about it. Seeing it in a new light for sure!

Great work folks...looking forward to next month :guinness:
"I have always been outside and I've chosen to remain there."
--DB

Fuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by Fuzz » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:19 pm

ryangaston wrote:Excellent podcast yet again—I don't have a MARF personally, but sitting through the conversation about it really made me reconsider a lot about it. Seeing it in a new light for sure!

Great work folks...looking forward to next month :guinness:
Thanks for listening! It was fun to focus on the MARF, but that's what I tend to think about most of the day anyways :hihi:
darksparkler.bandcamp.com - Music
sourceofuncertainty.audio - Podcast

slam
Common Wiggler

Post by slam » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:19 pm

It was MARFelous. Would love to see a video of the easel and the MARF playing together.

Anyone know where get a MARF?

Fuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by Fuzz » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:05 pm

slam wrote:It was MARFelous. Would love to see a video of the easel and the MARF playing together.

Anyone know where get a MARF?
I have several videos of the MARF with my Easel on my Instagram @darksparklermusic.

Bill Lynes that we mention in the podcast might be able to help you out with a v2. He can be reached through his Reverb page: https://reverb.com/shop/modular-express ... dium=share

slam
Common Wiggler

Post by slam » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 pm

Cool thanks for the lead on the MARF. Looks like one will be heading my way by the end of the year.

Been enjoying Year One. Good stuff and inspiring.

ddp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ddp » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:49 am

I basically understand what the modules can do for the most part, but the workflow is a constant source of bewilderment. Easel+AUX+227e Skylab here.
Bitwig Studio, Max, Buchla Music Easel + Skylab + LEM3, Moog One, RISE Seaboard 49, LinnStrument, MP11SE

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:07 pm

ddp wrote:I basically understand what the modules can do for the most part, but the workflow is a constant source of bewilderment. Easel+AUX+227e Skylab here.
What do you mean by "workflow is a constant source of bewilderment?"

ddp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ddp » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:52 pm

I mean that I love my strange skylab I assembled and I continue to learn things about what it can do every day. I have no idea either why that post is on this thread, it doesn't make sense to me either, carry on.
Bitwig Studio, Max, Buchla Music Easel + Skylab + LEM3, Moog One, RISE Seaboard 49, LinnStrument, MP11SE

nidas
Common Wiggler

Post by nidas » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:38 am

Great show - both episode are great - bacame a patreon but I can´t see any video for the 266?

Did you make a video for that episode aswell?
So much easier to follow and it would be great with some of your patches?

Synesthesia
Northern Light Modular

Post by Synesthesia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:57 am

bloody brilliant episode - totally enjoyed it .

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:03 am

nidas wrote:Great show - both episode are great - bacame a patreon but I can´t see any video for the 266?

Did you make a video for that episode aswell?
So much easier to follow and it would be great with some of your patches?
We didn't record a video of the 266 episode, unfortunately. We realized, starting with the MARF episode, that a video would be really useful, and we will have videos for Patreon going forward. I just bought a nice new overhead camera mount to make the videos look great. :)

tmeade
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tmeade » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:52 pm

That was a fantastic interview!!! I’ve been studying her performances and specifically trying to understand how she uses the MARF in her performances. One thing that is clear is that she is very particular to a certain workflow and I understand and completely respect that!

However... a question I have for you guys (interviewers and anyone that uses a 248) is about what functions might be missing from say, 2x 250e s? I’m can see how having sliders gives a visual description of shapes and that there is a lot of direct control and feedback of many of the functions. I can definitely see how someone with her perspective would not connect with the newer e designs but for those of us who are more malleable, I feel like 2x 250e would cover it all? No?

Thanks,
-Tom

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:16 am

tmeade wrote:That was a fantastic interview!!! I’ve been studying her performances and specifically trying to understand how she uses the MARF in her performances. One thing that is clear is that she is very particular to a certain workflow and I understand and completely respect that!

However... a question I have for you guys (interviewers and anyone that uses a 248) is about what functions might be missing from say, 2x 250e s? I’m can see how having sliders gives a visual description of shapes and that there is a lot of direct control and feedback of many of the functions. I can definitely see how someone with her perspective would not connect with the newer e designs but for those of us who are more malleable, I feel like 2x 250e would cover it all? No?

Thanks,
-Tom
Hi Tom. Thanks for the kind words and I'm very happy you enjoyed the podcast. Recreating Suzanne's patch was really fun. I don't think we did it justice, but close enough. :)

Suzanne talks about the 250e and her frustrations with it in Episode 60 of Podular Modcast. Here's a link: https://podularmodcast.fireside.fm/suzannecianipodmod

Fuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by Fuzz » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:45 pm

tmeade wrote:That was a fantastic interview!!! I’ve been studying her performances and specifically trying to understand how she uses the MARF in her performances. One thing that is clear is that she is very particular to a certain workflow and I understand and completely respect that!

Thanks,
-Tom
Thanks for listening Tom!

Yes, I think you could get similar function results with two 250e modules. You wouldn't end up saving any space with two 250e's but you do get dedicated 16 steps per module and "e" preset functionality compared to the MARF. You don't get "Reference" outputs (helpful but not vital), 2 minute functions per step, and what I think (and Suzanne) is a better workflow/play-ability with the MARF.

Both have their place and are great designs in their own right.

gaslampmusehog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gaslampmusehog » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:37 pm

Really enjoyed the latest podcast featuring 1979. Can’t wait for the next, keep it up!

Fuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by Fuzz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:17 pm

Thanks for listening!

And for those who haven't checked it out yet, you can listen to the new episode here: http://sourceofuncertainty.podbean.com/ ... -milholen/

gaslampmusehog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gaslampmusehog » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Really enjoyed this weeks show! Appreciate the work.

ArguZ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ArguZ » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:58 am

That was really cool...
You guys rock...all four of you :)

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”