Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:10 pm

I hope it isn’t similar to the prior app based solution

msprigings
Veteran Wiggler

Post by msprigings » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:50 am

I agree. It would be a slam dunk if it just simply worked with the 200e bus as the other 200e modules do. Also if it could receive midi over the bus. I imagine there are hardware considerations with that but it seems odd they would redesign the boards and not include that kind of functionality.

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler

Post by elmerfudd » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:34 am

Having MIDI on the I2C buss should be easy in that it was already implemented on the 218e. Due to the architecture of the Easel presets are a different story. 200e modules are fly by wire, the pots feed encoders that drive the circuits. Easel pots directly couple to the circuit. The preset would have to be an add on in the card slot, how you would then cable that to I2C buss is another question. I am currently setting up a case for a 208C/218 combo that has a buss isolator and a Lemo cable to connect to my 200e system. Hope to share midi data through out.
Another thought though is that the Easel would loose functionality if it was redesigned for full 200e. A major aspect of its form is the visual (graphic) feedback of the slider positions. In a true preset mode all of that would be meaningless, the state of the sliders would not reflect the state of the synth.

msprigings
Veteran Wiggler

Post by msprigings » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:53 pm

elmerfudd wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:34 am
Having MIDI on the I2C buss should be easy in that it was already implemented on the 218e. Due to the architecture of the Easel presets are a different story. 200e modules are fly by wire, the pots feed encoders that drive the circuits. Easel pots directly couple to the circuit. The preset would have to be an add on in the card slot, how you would then cable that to I2C buss is another question. I am currently setting up a case for a 208C/218 combo that has a buss isolator and a Lemo cable to connect to my 200e system. Hope to share midi data through out.
Another thought though is that the Easel would loose functionality if it was redesigned for full 200e. A major aspect of its form is the visual (graphic) feedback of the slider positions. In a true preset mode all of that would be meaningless, the state of the sliders would not reflect the state of the synth.
Very good point. I don't have a 208 so mostly just dreaming. I guess the trick is if the card controlled aspects can be preset managed in a more typical 200e way.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Regarding the sliders visual feedback when using presets; how did they work in the prior iteration of Easels? Also, not every knob on all 200e modules work with preset recall, they have grey caps on the knobs.
So, they could either go with the 200e paradigms of where knobs/sliders are don’t necessarily reflect Their settings in the patch and they don’t make everything preset recallable.

Common Wiggler

Post by 01235813 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:06 pm

deltaphoenix wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:14 pm
Regarding the sliders visual feedback when using presets; how did they work in the prior iteration of Easels? Also, not every knob on all 200e modules work with preset recall, they have grey caps on the knobs.
So, they could either go with the 200e paradigms of where knobs/sliders are don’t necessarily reflect Their settings in the patch and they don’t make everything preset recallable.
With prior iterations of the easel do you mean the iprogram card?

If so, it works together with an ipad app, you have to set up the patch (including patch cords) within the app and this translates to the easel. One is not able to save the settings from the physical easel to the app. (That would be awesome!) So if I discover a cool patch I spend a few minutes setting this up within the app. This is practical for revisiting a patch later down the road. Countless times I have listened to a song I wrote, frustrated not being able to figure out how I did this in the past. So in order to save a preset I have to make myself set this up within the ipad but I am always happy and appreciative to the effort when I come back and rediscover..

Concerning visual feedback I found this to be a really cool solution. The drawback is, you have to have the ipad at hand in order to see the patch, otherwise you can recall 24 pre-made patched from the card itself. I guess this could be very useful for live situations.

I have to say I think the idea is pretty cool, I just wish they would make an app available for macos/pc. It makes me a little nervous being reliant on an ipad based solution. That said, I'm sure Buchla has reasons for going this route.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:04 am

Okay, I meant to type prior iteration of easel preset recall (I was working outside and on my phone when I posted that). I didn't know that the app required the preset to be "patched" in the app. Definitely see the pluses and minuses that you shared to that approach.

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:04 am

01235813 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:06 pm

Concerning visual feedback I found this to be a really cool solution. The drawback is, you have to have the ipad at hand in order to see the patch, otherwise you can recall 24 pre-made patched from the card itself. I guess this could be very useful for live situations.

I have to say I think the idea is pretty cool, I just wish they would make an app available for macos/pc. It makes me a little nervous being reliant on an ipad based solution. That said, I'm sure Buchla has reasons for going this route.
I have always thought of the iprogram Card as a live tool, so that you do not need to swap out cards during a performance. I think that the iPad use is novel (I wish that I had that option for other hardware), but being able to use a small laptop or other tablet device would make sense as well.
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Dotcom Box 11 case, and Moogerfooger and Minifooger pedals!

Common Wiggler

Post by 01235813 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:44 am

Henfield wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:04 am

I have always thought of the iprogram Card as a live tool, so that you do not need to swap out cards during a performance. I think that the iPad use is novel (I wish that I had that option for other hardware), but being able to use a small laptop or other tablet device would make sense as well.
I agree, the ipad is great. It just makes me nervous that it's a closed system, one is not (without a jailbreak, if that's still an option) able to install prior iOS releases, meaning with a single iOS update the app could be rendered unusable. With a mac/pc I feel I have more options, whether it's a vm or just being able to backtrack an OS installation via a mirrored drive or whatnot.

I guess at the end of the day one always has this issue with software. I'm just not used to having expensive hardware being coupled to software. I really don't mean to come across as over critical, I knew this before I purchased the card. :slight_smile:

Back to the Command and it's presets, I'm really curious as to how Buchla is going to go about doing this. I have the feeling that it's gonna be good. After all, they have been on a roll...

Schneiders sent me an email a few days ago stating they are receiving 5 Command these days, one of them which has my name on it. :hyper:

rklem
Common Wiggler

Post by rklem » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:12 pm

So... did Schneiders deliver? Who's first?

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:14 pm

Yeah I am kind of anticipating seeing these things out in the wild. I may just go ahead and splurge on one since I missed out on the whole deal of getting a new Korg ARP 2600. I would more than likely pickup one of these anyway even if I did get the ARP but it would have to wait quite awhile to save up the funds to do so.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

Paul_N
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paul_N » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:41 pm

I’ve noticed that Foxtone appears to have a 208C command module available for immediate purchase, although I have not called to confirm. I’m tempted, but am hoping to see if they come out with a new easel package that includes the new 208. I’ve also seen some BUSA/BEMI 208s show up on reverb - I suspect some easel owners are dropping in the new 208 and selling off the old one.

-Paul

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:41 am

Noisebug, on Reverb, is estimating June 1 for the Command Module. (Their web site still says Jan/Feb 2020 ETA, Detroit Modular January 2020, and Buchla USA still says January 2020 so obviously those have not been updated)

Pen_Dinas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pen_Dinas » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:14 am

deltaphoenix wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:10 pm
I hope it isn’t similar to the prior app based solution
Was there any info on this. Now there's a USB port I wondered if that would mean that there will be a way to connect directly to the system?
Of is it still a case of buy-in the iProgram card?

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:45 am

mgscheue wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:41 am
Noisebug, on Reverb, is estimating June 1 for the Command Module. (Their web site still says Jan/Feb 2020 ETA, Detroit Modular January 2020, and Buchla USA still says January 2020 so obviously those have not been updated)
Yeah I queried Blake at Noisebug about a week ago on if he had any updates on ETA of shipments. He said that he didn't know yet but would contact Buchla. So he probably did which but only updated the Reverb ad so far. Just a guess.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

Jruss993
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jruss993 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:54 am

I played with one of the standalone units at NAMM. I’ve been wanting to step into Buchla for a long time and the 208C felt like the perfect introduction. Sounded so unbelievable

BLACK MARKET
Common Wiggler

Post by BLACK MARKET » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:12 am

Hey guys/gals,
Here is a copy of the latest announcement I sent out yesterday. Preset manager is being worked on by Joel, Darren, and Charles...so I still need to get the official word from them as to just exactly how powerful we can make it. Hopefully I can get you answers on that soon.

Thanks for all of your excitement and patience as we navigate this unique time while moving forward with launching a new product to hopefully give a chunk of people a bit of inspiration they are looking for :)

Hello Everyone,
I hope you and your loved ones are all staying safe during these unique times.
We just wanted to give a quick update letting you know that things are still moving forward with production on the 208C and Easel Command.
Our production facility in San Francisco still has a small crew working and are currently doing through-hole hand assembly as I write this. If things continue without further interruption, the 208C should be shipping later next month (April) with the Easel Command following a couple of weeks after.
As far as things that concern our day-to-day operation and staying healthy, I’m glad to report that we are all doing well and have taken the necessary precautions to keep everyone safe while allowing orders and customer service requests to continue without any notable delays. The techs/engineers and myself are all working remotely with only one person in the office processing orders and shipments at a time. So far this has been a good balance and we understand the need for everyone to feel some kind of “normalcy” from time-to-time which is why we chose to continue as long as it is safe to do so. It is also my understanding that most of our retailers around the world are operating in a similar way and still accepting orders and inquiries. We’re all here to help.
Thank you for your continued support and please NEVER hesitate to reach out directly to me or anyone on the team if you have any questions or concerns. We look forward to helping you feel inspired and creative during these strange and challenging times! Stay safe+sanitary+sane.
-Eric Fox
Chief Plate Spinner for Buchla

Common Wiggler

Post by 01235813 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:51 pm

BLACK MARKET wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:12 am
Thank you for your continued support and please NEVER hesitate to reach out directly to me or anyone on the team if you have any questions or concerns. We look forward to helping you feel inspired and creative during these strange and challenging times! Stay safe+sanitary+sane.
-Eric Fox
Chief Plate Spinner for Buchla
Thanks for taking the time to give us an update. Can't wait to get the Command! :goo:

Jd1979
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Jd1979 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:55 pm

Knarzwaltz wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:56 am
Next step in killing the Buchla spirit :tu:
Change needs to happen if Buchla is to stay in the game. As of the past ten years there have been quite a few quality issues which I think has done a number on their reputation.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”