Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Memecos
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by Memecos » Wed May 06, 2020 4:35 am

So they made two different types of cases? One with the USB-A port and the other without it? That's strange...

Selador
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Selador » Wed May 06, 2020 4:38 am

Memecos wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:35 am
So they made two different types of cases? One with the USB-A port and the other without it? That's strange...
No, that , as I understand it, there is the Command case with all the I/O. And then have the option of buying the module by itself, the 208c, and adding to that a USB/MIDI breakout I/O panel for the accessory slot at the back of most all Buchla cases, like where the firmware update panel goes

But details are lacking, and no one knows what it costs. It's one of the things keeping me back from buying it, since I don't want the command case at all, but I don't want to jump on the 208c without the I/O functionality
Born like this, into this, as chalk faces smile

keimart.in

Memecos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Memecos » Wed May 06, 2020 4:40 am

Selador wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:38 am
Memecos wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:35 am
No, that , as I understand it, there is the Command case with all the I/O. And then have the option of buying the module by itself, the 208c, and adding to that a USB/MIDI breakout I/O panel for the accessory slot at the back of most all Buchla cases, like where the firmware update panel goes

But details are lacking, and no one knows what it costs. It's one of the things keeping me back from buying it, since I don't want the command case at all, but I don't want to jump on the 208c without the I/O functionality
I hope so :hihi:

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Wed May 06, 2020 5:08 am

greenanother wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:03 pm
The recent set of posts in this thread on USB A? Okay, thanks for following up. Had my suspicions something wasn’t right. They’re apparently overloaded over there right now.
I'm pretty sure the only difference between the $2999 version and the $3299 version is that one has the sensel morph included but they both have the same midi functionality while the $2599 version is just the 208c module with no midi. I hope that's the case anyway.

greenanother
Veteran Wiggler

Post by greenanother » Wed May 06, 2020 6:08 am

Well if whoever has Eric’s ear could ask him to post a definitive answer here, that would be helpful.
https://soundcloud.com/greenanother

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Wed May 06, 2020 6:45 am

Yeah, it's confusing. I wish I could find it but my recollection is that I asked him whether I'm correct in thinking that the Command Module with the Sensel Morph comes with the USB A port and the Command Module without the Morph does not, and he said yes, that's right.

Vatican2
Common Wiggler

Post by Vatican2 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:34 am

I asked a while back... the module is the same no matter what format you buy it in. The “command” simply includes the standalone case. Maybe command is the new LEM. Anybody know what LEM stood for?
"Practice love on animals first; they react better and more sensitively."

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Wed May 06, 2020 9:01 am

Lunar Excursion Module. They have space-themed names: Skylab, Snoopy, LEM, Command Module... .

tokyojoe
Common Wiggler

Post by tokyojoe » Wed May 06, 2020 9:27 am

Preordered the Easel Command a couple of days ago at Noisebug. Really excited to finally dive into the world of Buchla. Down the line I have my eye on either the LEM4 or getting a bigger case (10U) and building the system slowly.

Memecos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Memecos » Wed May 06, 2020 9:37 am

tokyojoe wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:27 am
Preordered the Easel Command a couple of days ago at Noisebug. Really excited to finally dive into the world of Buchla. Down the line I have my eye on either the LEM4 or getting a bigger case (10U) and building the system slowly.
Me too, it's my first Buchla module :hyper:

greenanother
Veteran Wiggler

Post by greenanother » Wed May 06, 2020 10:02 am

Vatican2 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:34 am
I asked a while back... the module is the same no matter what format you buy it in. The “command” simply includes the standalone case. Maybe command is the new LEM. Anybody know what LEM stood for?
That’s not where the confusion lies. It’s established that the new Easel module (208c) is the same whether stand-alone or in the Command case.

What IS confusing, is what is IN the case. We know all Command cases have USB B ports and DIN MIDI, but we don’t know for sure whether ALL cases come with the USB A (host) port installed (which is needed to use a Sensel Morph controller). So we wait...

greenanother
Veteran Wiggler

Post by greenanother » Wed May 06, 2020 10:27 am

OKAY! Now I know for SURE! Foxtone just emailed me apologizing for the confusion and told me that the USB A host module IS indeed optional and is around a $49 install OR you can just buy the higher model with it already installed and the Sensel Morph controller with Thunder morph overlay included. :party:

sofftdrugs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sofftdrugs » Wed May 06, 2020 10:29 am

hey all!
I just got off the phone with Eric and bugged him about all this USB stuff.
So, the Easel Command, (the standalone unit) has OPTIONAL USB-A hosting, the A-port is built onto the power board, but will be covered by a little window on the back of the unit. To upgrade it, you just need to install a daughter board onto the unit, no soldering or anything.
He said the upgrade will be around 50 dollars.

The Sensel Bundles will already have this upgrade included.

Sounded like they were aware of the confusion and working on some sort of video or statement .

adolan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adolan » Wed May 06, 2020 11:39 am

Well that's good to hear, that it can be there if ya want/need it later. I really can't wait to get my hands on mine....

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Wed May 06, 2020 11:50 am

That's good new and it aligns with what I thought he told me a while back. Yeah, I figured it couldn't be too expensive given that most of the difference in price is the cost of the Morph.

episod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by episod » Wed May 06, 2020 12:42 pm

For those of us who pledged for this via kickstarter, I hope we get an option to request the USB-A host port before shipping time comes up.. I already had the Sensel Morph with Thunder overlay and would definitely rather plug it in directly rather than having to chain through a midi hub first. For $50 I'd gladly add on.
Reality Technician on Soundcloud // @episod on Twitter

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Wed May 06, 2020 1:14 pm

sofftdrugs wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:29 am
hey all!
I just got off the phone with Eric and bugged him about all this USB stuff.
So, the Easel Command, (the standalone unit) has OPTIONAL USB-A hosting, the A-port is built onto the power board, but will be covered by a little window on the back of the unit. To upgrade it, you just need to install a daughter board onto the unit, no soldering or anything.
He said the upgrade will be around 50 dollars.
This is very reassuring, thanks for the heads up!

peloazul
Common Wiggler

Post by peloazul » Wed May 13, 2020 11:02 pm

If it helps anybody else out - the power cable that the 208C (at least the one that I have) shipped with was about 12". When I went to install it in an easel case (plastic, BEMI/BUSA, LEM208 type), the 208C power cable would not reach to the busboard in the lower-right (with the handle in front, by the user). One quick order to Jameco for 26pin ribbon cable, and a few 26 pin ribbon cable compression fittings, and a 4-5 day wait later, I made the ribbon cable about twice as long. Routing the new power cable through the aperture between the two boats required removing the busboard (but this is pretty trivial). Here are some illustrative photos (pardon the bad lighting - the studio is mostly lit my disco ball/spotlights at night, but I put the empty case and 208C on the workbench).

Case with longer cable (208C power inlet is under the keyboard input bananas):
IMG_0880.png

Fully assemble 208C "Easel":
IMG_0883.png

Bonus picture of the rear of a 208C:
IMG_0881.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tele_player
Common Wiggler

Post by tele_player » Thu May 14, 2020 12:03 pm

It's cool to see a more modern build - I'm about half way along building a 208p. I wonder what vactrols are being used in 208C?

greenanother
Veteran Wiggler

Post by greenanother » Thu May 14, 2020 2:28 pm

tele_player wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:03 pm
I wonder what vactrols are being used in 208C?
I was actually wondering the same. Actually, does anyone know what the difference is between the Easel LPGs and the 292e LPGs? The 200e vactrols seem “snappier” from the videos I’ve seen, but maybe that has more to due with what is being fed into the 292e (FM from 261e and 258e)? Or maybe the 281e envelopes or 251e pulses are the factor?

adolan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adolan » Wed May 20, 2020 12:39 pm

This landed in my inbox a lil while ago...
Hey there everyone,

Wes here from Foxtone, if you’re receiving this message then we are on the home-stretch of getting a 208C Easel Command into your hands.

We’ve may have already spoken prior to this, but the Covid-19 situation delayed the production of the Easel Command and is still making the Buchla crew nervous to say a concrete date of when we’ll have tracking info for all of you, but they assure me it will be quite soon.

I just want to thank everyone for their patience and understanding throughout this entire process, and reassure you that we’re working as hard as we can alongside Buchla to get these instruments to you as soon as possible.

If you have any questions or concerns, please get in touch and we’ll straighten it out.

Thank you again for the support, and hopefully the next time you hear from me it’ll be with tracking numbers ;)

-wes

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Tue May 26, 2020 6:25 am

Anyone get their tracking numbers yet?

Memecos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Memecos » Tue May 26, 2020 7:36 am

dadRabbit wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:25 am
Anyone get their tracking numbers yet?
Nope

adolan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adolan » Tue May 26, 2020 2:59 pm

Nope, I didn't get anything tracking related yet either.
I really hope this happens soon, I never have participated in the pre-order/big payout and wait scheme and I gotta be honest it's not my thing and tbh I am finding out that I def ain't built for the long wait.....

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Tue May 26, 2020 7:02 pm

adolan wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:59 pm
Nope, I didn't get anything tracking related yet either.
I really hope this happens soon, I never have participated in the pre-order/big payout and wait scheme and I gotta be honest it's not my thing and tbh I am finding out that I def ain't built for the long wait.....
I think this will definitely be worth the wait!

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”