Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

lumin
Common Wiggler

Post by lumin » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:30 pm

Well this doesn't have the 218 or the easel case. The pricing is pretty much in line. I spent over 4K on mine on the used market early on.
I am just thinking about new folks wanting to enter into the buchla world. The 208 at that price is a great entry.
rolsteins wrote:
lumin wrote:Price is proper as well.
Is it?
It looks like 1/3 price drop for Easel...
Not good message for those who spent 5k$ or more purchasing older versions.

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:43 pm

lumin wrote:I am just thinking about new folks wanting to enter into the buchla world. The 208 at that price is a great entry.
That's the way I am kind of looking at it. I would really like to get a full blown Music Easel but as we all know it's a bit of chunk of $ to pick one up. So maybe I could justify stepping into the Buchla world with this. We'll see.

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MechaSeb » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:42 am

01235813 wrote:What exactly is it that you find to be killing the spirit? Is it the green?
That would be silly to think so.

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:06 am

MechaSeb wrote:
01235813 wrote:What exactly is it that you find to be killing the spirit? Is it the green?
That would be silly to think so.

In my eyes the knobs could be yellow, purple or pink and the spirit would remain virtually unscathed...

Everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion. To me it's the sound, thats where the magic (or was it the spirit) is.. the sound and the workflow. I remember the moment I first heard a buchla sound.. it was a calling like I've seldom had in life. It spoke to me, this was to be my instrument. In jest I say, without getting slightly esoteric I cannot go on :hihi:

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:00 pm

I'm debating over getting this or a half-empty Easel, that is, a case with a 208, but no 218, which is about $3200. I plan on trying either one with a MicroFreak, which has 1.2 V/oct and 10V gate. I only have Euro and semi-modulars and no Buchla, but if I like the half-empty Easel, I could add a few modules to it, or add the 218 if I don't like the MicroFreak. On the other hand, this Easel Command Center would be a lot more compact if it turns out I don't want to add on, and saving the studio space would truly be welcome. The price difference is only $300, so that's not a factor.

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MechaSeb » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:40 am

01235813 wrote:To me it's the sound, thats where the magic (or was it the spirit) is.. the sound and the workflow.
Exactly.
I maybe should have quote Knarzwaltz instead.

thee ghost ov n_phay
Common Wiggler

Post by thee ghost ov n_phay » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:25 am

Seems like a pretty good deal, quite interested.

Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:13 pm

I've seen a few Easels pop up online since this was announced...

I've been wanting an Easel for a while too and that's a great way of getting into the Buchla world for sure. But I've been wondering, too, if what attracts me to the Easel so much is the fact it feels like a proper instrument to me. It's a semi-modular synth, yes, but it feels like the way it's made in its case gives it that proper finish look you don't get with full modular setups as far as I'm concerned. I love the idea of learning how to use a Buchla synth through what feels like a fully-thought instrument with a definitive shape (although yes, one can always use cards and make it evolve, etc...) The new Command Module is extremely tempting but do I want to lose that magic that makes the Easel so different from other modular systems to me by buying one? I still don't know.

pines
Common Wiggler

Post by pines » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:35 pm

Anyone know anything about a release date?

meatcliff
Ultra Wiggler

Post by meatcliff » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:38 pm

Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:I love the idea of learning how to use a Buchla synth through what feels like a fully-thought instrument with a definitive shape (although yes, one can always use cards and make it evolve, etc...) The new Command Module is extremely tempting but do I want to lose that magic that makes the Easel so different from other modular systems to me by buying one? I still don't know.
The 208 on it's own is still pretty deep and there's a lot to explore, especially if it's paired with some nice effects, but can definitely be a gateway to additional modules. With midi it might be enough to satisfy that if you pair it with a nice controller.

vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vgermuse » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:15 am

pines wrote:Anyone know anything about a release date?
By end if this year! It’s really quite a wonderful extension of the Buchlidian
neural network paradigm, imho.

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:57 am

I should have watched the video before trying out the 208C at Knobcon! I was hearing white noise coming through the 2nd LPG, and I didn’t know where it was coming from! Great sounding unit, and it will now fit into shallower cases like the Skylab.
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Dotcom Box 11 case, and Moogerfooger and Minifooger pedals!

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:19 am

looks great! :sb:

Knarzwaltz
Common Wiggler

Post by Knarzwaltz » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:28 am

MechaSeb wrote:
01235813 wrote:To me it's the sound, thats where the magic (or was it the spirit) is.. the sound and the workflow.
Exactly.
Why? I did not mention something silly like the color.

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MechaSeb » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:35 am

Knarzwaltz wrote:
MechaSeb wrote:
Exactly.
Why? I did not mention something silly like the color.
Your assumption of "killing the Buchla spirit" without argumentation let us imagine what could be the reason of your comment.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:13 am

:popcorn:
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

REcDeso12oi
Common Wiggler

Post by REcDeso12oi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:39 am

Did anyone mention the return of the Spike waveform? Very very welcome addition in my opinion! I missed that guy. :sb:

tarandfeathers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tarandfeathers » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:42 am

REcDeso12oi wrote:Did anyone mention the return of the Spike waveform? Very very welcome addition in my opinion! I missed that guy. :sb:
That's a panel graphic change only, IIRC. The waveshape was always identical to the original easel, they just drew it differently on the reissue.
Dunnington Audio - Various Buchla accoutrements available

REcDeso12oi
Common Wiggler

Post by REcDeso12oi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:55 am

INTERESTING. I would be shocked if this was actually true. That would mean there is something seriously wrong w/ my 208r's waveform when compared to my previous BEMI 208s ;) But I have been known to make a mistake every once in a while. Maybe someone who knows for sure could clear this up.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:05 am

From what I could see on a few BEMI Easels that I serviced, I'd rather say that the BEMI 208 waveforms don't have the proper wave form. The spike is not a spike... but not a ramp either. :mrgreen:
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

REcDeso12oi
Common Wiggler

Post by REcDeso12oi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:13 am

haha so interesting. I wonder if that's why they changed the waveform on the panel

gruvsyco
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gruvsyco » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:47 pm

I so wish this thing was available right now.

1n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 1n » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:45 pm

Two years ago, I spent a long time thinking about how to become a modular synthesist. I really wanted a music easel. But I went euro because I had zero cash. Used modules and simple DIY got me started and more interested.

I now know what I like doing with modular, and want to do more, especially with live performance and interfaces, but still no cash. The command module seemed the best-priced way to go. But...

Short version: I'm selling all but a small number of my much-loved 6U/104 hp-worth of euro modules and putting the cash towards the music easel I should've bought in the first place. Plus a banana-3.5 converter box.

rolsteins
Common Wiggler

Post by rolsteins » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:44 pm

1n wrote: I now know what I like doing with modular, and want to do more, especially with live performance and interfaces, but still no cash. The command module seemed the best-priced way to go.
big part of Easel's applicability to live performance is it's "keyboard".

without it I even don't know if command module alone (at so high price!) can do live job well.

boxes like PICO 3 are 10 x cheaper, 10 x smaller and those functionality more or less the same...
Last edited by rolsteins on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:54 pm

A lot of these 208 questions answered here by Eric Fox-

https://sourceofuncertainty.podbean.com/

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”