Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

909one
Common Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by 909one » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:12 am

@tardwash Where did you order from? I'm in the same boat. I'm considering selling a lot of my euro for this. I want the Morph to go with it as well.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:19 am

How well does eurorack play with Buchla stuff? I know it's 1 v/o vs 1.2 v/o for pitch but I've got the new Make Noise 0-Ctrl and I'm wondering if that would be a good compliment to the Easel Command? I'd have to convert to banana I know as well.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:32 am

Synovatron CVGT1 is what you need.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

fablesofsilence
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fablesofsilence » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:14 am

CVGT FTW.

https://youtu.be/qa-Lr4TrpGY has a patch with my Easel and my Eurorack sidekick. Patch explanation below the video. It all works much better than I thought when I started the project.

tardwash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tardwash » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:36 am

909one wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:12 am
@tardwash Where did you order from? I'm in the same boat. I'm considering selling a lot of my euro for this. I want the Morph to go with it as well.
I ordered directly from the Buchla site.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:40 am

tardwash wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:31 pm
I placed my order last night, and I think I managed to sneak into this batch that is shipping in the next few weeks. I ordered the Morph & usb A version. I’ve been wanting a Morph for a long time, so getting them together is really the icing on the cake. I’m selling most of gear to go with a setup consisting of a Pro 3, Easel Command and my eurorack. I’m very excited to finally own an Easel.
Did you see that the first run of Easels are sold out? I went to the site a few days ago and it had said that. Looks like the next run is coming in 90 days. I Wonder if ordering from a dealer one would get it sooner? There's someone in Chicago where I'm at that has pre-order.

Also, I know this is a weighted question, but I'd be selling a majority of my Eurorack to get one of these. Any advice on staying in Euro vs. going to the Easel? I essentially have an Easel in Euro right now, Verbos Complex Oscilator and Optomix, Maths, etc. I'm just honestly so fed up with the endless buying and selling of Eurorack environment, and every demo I've ever heard of the Easel I'm like, this is what I want. I'm just trying to emulate it in Euro. However there is a lot more control in Eurorack, with my current system, for the same price of what I'd be paying for the Easel. I kind of want the limitations though that a closed environment brings though. I'd probably just keep a few Euro effects that I have, Instruo Arbhar and Make Noise Mimeophone, maybe a controller and sell the rest.

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:55 am

909one wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:19 am
How well does eurorack play with Buchla stuff? I know it's 1 v/o vs 1.2 v/o for pitch but I've got the new Make Noise 0-Ctrl and I'm wondering if that would be a good compliment to the Easel Command? I'd have to convert to banana I know as well.
The Easel Command has a 1 v/octave input (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But it shouldn't really matter with the 0-Ctrl anyway, if you're sending pitch, since the 0-Ctrl doesn't have a quantizer. And I think the Command has a 3.5 mm gate input that gets converted to a Buchla gate as well.

tardwash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tardwash » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:39 am

I missed the part about them being sold out for 90 days, but I’m 100% that I want one, so I can deal if that turns out to be the case.

I can’t say if you would regret selling all of euro to get an Easel. I took about 6 or 7 months off from using my modular at the end of last year because I was also bit tired of chasing the next new thing. I also got totally screwed by Thomas Cook literally going out of business while I was in Europe - leaving me stranded. Anyway.... I got way back into Ableton and now that I’m using my modular daily again the temptation to get the newest thing is completely gone. The Mimeophon and Five12 Vector are the only modules I’ve purchased in the past year. If you want an Easel, get it!
Last edited by tardwash on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:40 am

mgscheue wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:55 am
909one wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:19 am
The Easel Command has a 1 v/octave input (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But it shouldn't really matter with the 0-Ctrl anyway, if you're sending pitch, since the 0-Ctrl doesn't have a quantizer. And I think the Command has a 3.5 mm gate input that gets converted to a Buchla gate as well.
I use the 0-Ctrl with a quantizer most of the time. If the Easel has a 1 v/o and standard gate input that's good to know though. As far as sending other voltages, for example to the timbre or something, the range is 0-10v or something similar? So aside from the 1/8 to banana connection there really should be any issue of voltages coming from euro used for non-pitch and non gate stuff?

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:44 am

tardwash wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:39 am
I missed the part about them being sold out for 90 days, but I’m 100% that I want one, so I can deal if that turns out to be the case.

I can’t say if you would regret selling all of euro to get an Easel. I took about 6 or 7 months off from using my modular at the end of last year because I was also bit tired of chasing the next new thing. I also got totally screwed by Thomas Cook literally going out of business while I was in Europe - leaving me stranded. Anyway.... I got way back into Ableton and now that I’m using my modular daily again the temptation to get the newest thing is completely gone. The Mimeophon and Five12 Vector are the only modules I’ve purchased in the past year. If you want an Easel, get it!
Yeah the only way to know is to use the Easel. If I bought one I'd wait a little bit to sell the euro, so all my efforts weren't gone with euro regarding what i have thus far.

ddp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ddp » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:20 pm

Foxtone lives, they said they should have more in 90-110 days. Love to hear about how ordering directly from Buchla works out.
Buchla

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:02 pm

Video up on how to install the USB-A host module. Looks simple.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:58 pm

So I don't understand... Doesn't the Command module come with USB already? Does something like the Sensel already work without this addition or does it need it to work?

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:19 pm

The Command Module package with the Sensel Morph comes with the USB-A host adapter. For people on the Kickstarter or who have ordered directly from Buchla, to expedite shipment to US customers with this first batch, Buchla is giving people the option of having the Command, USB-A host module, and Morph shipped first to Minneapolis and installed and put into one box there, or to be sent directly in three separate shipments. Eric said the latter should speed things up by about a week but of course that means the customer has to install the adapter.

The standard Command, without the Morph, has the adapter as an option. And yes, I believe the Morph needs the adapter to work.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:59 pm

Oh ok so If purchased the command from a dealer and then wanted to use the Morph with it Is have to buy the Usb A thing separately? I wish documentation on this coming out of the gates was better.

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:07 pm

I think that’s correct since the USB-A is an option. It is a bit confusing and is something they could make more clear.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:18 pm

Yeah it's especially confusing because I'd be making the jump from Euro world. I might just wait until the dust has settled and see a couple reviews first.

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:27 am

For me, too, aside from Euro Red Panel modules. I ordered in January, direct from Buchla, so arrival should be imminent and maybe I can help work through some mysteries.

island
Wiggling with Experience

Post by island » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:00 am

If anyone ever wants to write down some patches:
https://buchla.com/downloads/208C_blan ... _sheet.pdf
Easel + 416 Meta Expander & Snoopy a big show

rklem
Common Wiggler

Post by rklem » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:18 am

mgscheue wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:34 pm
Just got an email from Eric saying that they got the boats and the Commands will be shipping, with Kickstarters first, direct orders second, dealers third, in the order the orders were received. :party:
I ordered (and payed) in November at a European dealer. So someone who ordered in May at Buchla.com will receive the Command first? Questionable policy imho – to me, and to the dealer(s).

kirkis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kirkis » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:05 pm

it looks like the pcb of the easel is one board, how did they fit so much on one pcb? anyone know schematic details?

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:04 pm

They used SMT. :party:

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:13 pm

Am I correct in thinking your cards will work with this, papz?

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:01 am

They say the edge connector pinout is compatible with the previous Easel, if so any card will work.

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:04 am

kirkis wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:05 pm
it looks like the pcb of the easel is one board, how did they fit so much on one pcb? anyone know schematic details?
Roman's Rev 1 Easel clone was done the same way.
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Moogerfooger pedals, Minifooger pedals, and other interesting effects boxes that work well with modular, try me!

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”