Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

billtmiller
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by billtmiller » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Yippppeee.... Got my TRACKING monday and my 208c Command Center is IN TRANSIT from CA to Boston. Should be here FRIDAY. While i was in AWAITING FULFILLMENT status last week, I made a couple of (one minute) fun videos in prep of actual Easel arrival. Exploring Artural Easel V (deep into KRELL - music on this video is all EASEL V soft synth with a bit of Todd Barton flute samples via Morphagene) and making Program Cards (exploring figure 21card via Allen Strange / Todd Barton guidance) and remembering chatting with DON BUCHLA after his concert in Boston 2014. I have wanted a BUCHLA since i was a kid in the 1970s. SEE / HEAR more of my adventures via http://BTMTV.com & http://OrgyOfNoise.com

Big THANX to BUCHLA, Eric Fox/ Foxtone, Joel Davel, Marc Doty, Adam Clark, Wes Langill (and all the rest making it happen.) Really LUV Adam Clark's excellent GETTING STARTED with 208c tutorial video. http://buchla.com & http://foxtone.com
- TODD BARTON for being the keeper of the knowledge guru and guiding us to next level of Buchla Magick. http://toddbarton.com
- Artural Buchla Easel V SoftSynth Software https://arturia.com/
- JON DENT for his Buchla info resources (great program card knowledge and more. )http://djjondent.blogspot.com/
- NOISEBUG for the blank easel cards and being super Buchla dealer in usa! http://noisebug.org.net
- ERIC CRAWLEY of AHNE (Analogue Heaven North East). http://alt-mode.com/
- KURT KURASAKI - http://peff.com
- PAPZ - http://portabellabz.be
- THOMAS DIMUZIO for Buchla 200e inspiration and more! http://thomasdimuzio.com
- ALESSANDRO CORTINI (NIN) - http://cortini.bandcamp.com

MEGA THANX ALL of YOU BUCHLA luvers on Muff Wiggler.
Hopefully some of these links will be of help to YOU.

- SUPER THANX to SHERI HAUSEY and Ziggy Cat for ALL.
http://sherihausey.com

- MOST of ALL - THANX to the GENIUS of the BRILLIANT LEGEND Mr. DON BUCHLA. http://www.donbuchla.com/ - I was lucky enough to witness him and concert and after the show have a CHAT with him and his wife back in 2014. see photos: http://billtmiller.com/buchla

NOW... i just want/need a Buchla SKYLAB.

Last edited by billtmiller on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NazzNomi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NazzNomi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:21 pm

greenanother wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am
NazzNomi wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:34 am
I'm using a Sensel Morph, into an iPad, then into the Easel Command using an iPad camera adapter. It works great.
Sensel to ipad via Bluetooth?
I use a small USB hub; every connection is wired.

adolan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adolan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:24 pm

The waiting is killing me here...

makers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by makers » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:17 pm

I installed the MIDI A option tonight and that was painless. It was comforting to see a bunch of real vactrols inside.

I'm very impressed with the MIDI functionality so far.

I don't have the Sensel Morph yet but I did attach a Keith McMillen K-Board Pro to the host port and everything works well. The Command was able to power the K-Board with the USB A port. I configured the K-Board with MPE and Poly Channel Aftertouch both turned off. Channel Pressure comes through to the Pressure CV outputs.

The Future Retro FR-512 capacitance keyboard works really well with the Command too. I used the Eurorack 1/8" jacks in the back for Gate and 1 v/Oct. Then I used 1/8" to Banana without ground for the other CV outputs from the FR-512. The 1/8" Gate and 1 V/Oct in the back of the Command seem to make the ground connection well enough.
Last edited by makers on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:29 am

makers wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:17 pm
I configured the K-Board with MPE and Poly Channel Aftertouch both turned off. Channel Pressure comes through to the Pressure CV outputs.
What would happen if you used the MPE? I've got a Seaboard 25 and if the MPE functions aren't translatable to the 208c I'm probably going to sell it off for money towards a LEM218.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:02 am

I decided to take the plunge and order a Command. My local shop has some coming in soon (hopefully this week), that were unspoken for so I grabbed one. I'm undecided yet what to use to control it. I've got Pressure Points and 0-Ctrl in Euro format. I have a Keystep. I'd like to try to the Morph as well. Also really curious if the LEM218 is really necessary to complete the package. The store I ordered from also has a use Future Retro Keyboard, I'm wondering if I should grab that or just wait for an actual LEM218 or the Morph. I'm also interested in trying a few iOS sequencers, like Fugue Machine or Ribn for sequencing and modulation. Lots of possibilities.

Can someone explain how the grounding works with the banana plugs to euro? Banana's have no grounding shield, right? Is there a ground on the Easel you plug into?

makers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by makers » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:23 am

Yes there is a ground Banana in the back of the command. But it may not be necessary if you are going to use the Eurorack friendly 1/8" Gate and 1 V/ Oct inputs that are also on the back of the command.

Except for some of the colors it comes in, I think the Future Retro FR-512 is a near perfect match for the Command.

studio304
Learning to Wiggle

Post by studio304 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:45 am

Has anyone figured out some good Sensel templates / mappings to work with the 208C - I've messed around with the stock Thunder ones - but wondering / what controllers / mappings etc would work well with the 208 command

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:08 am

billtmiller wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:39 pm
Out of curiosty, how do you know what measurement of resistance on each resistor corresponds with the slider position on the interface?

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:43 am

Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

billtmiller
Learning to Wiggle

Post by billtmiller » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:51 am

YES... the answers are in the Easel 208 manual (RTFM) via https://buchla.com/guides/Buchla_Music_Easel_Manual.pdf
LOOK for the section of manual that sez METTA PROGRAMMING and the chart right there. Basically, the chart takes slider position (or switch or knob) and coverts it to resistor value. For instance 120K resistor is at value of 10 (or just like plugging a straight patch cord.) Sorting out the details of finding the perfect patch will take time... as always.

Also, check out Todd Barton exploring Allen Strange's Buchla Manual via this youtube playlist... later in the playlist he goes into FIGURES 18-21 and explains it further. in one video Todd's speaks of translating ALLEN STRANGE's FIGURE 21 to a program card as his WHITE WHALE and on his quest he explored variations and even broke it down to a BOTH mode where he has the essential program card resistors and actual easel face settings.
You can skip to section with videos for FIGURE 18 to FIGURE 21 if you want to get right to the program card nfo.

BOTTOM LINE - the ACTUAL VALUES are in the ORIG MANUAL under METTA PROGRAMMING.
Last edited by billtmiller on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:59 am

papz wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:43 am
RTFM
Lol. Can't get away with nuthin' here.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:02 am

billtmiller wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:51 am
YES... the answers are in the Easel 208 manual (RTFM) via https://buchla.com/guides/Buchla_Music_Easel_Manual.pdf
LOOK for the section of manual that sez METTA PROGRAMMING and the is a chart right there. Basically, the chart takes slider position (or switch or knob) and coverts it to resistor value. For instance 120K resistor is at value of 10 (or just like plugging a straight patch cord.) Sorting out the details of finding the perfect patch will take time... as always.

Also, check out Todd Barton exploring Allen Strange's Buchla Manual via this youtube playlist... later in the playlist he goes into FIGURES 18-21 and explains it further. in one video Todd's speaks of translating ALLEN STRANGE's FIGURE 21 to a program card as his WHITE WHALE and on his quest he explored variations and even broke it down to a BOTH mode where he has the essential program card resistors and actual easel face settings.
You can skip to section with videos for FIGURE 18 to FIGURE 21 if you want to get right to the program card nfo.

BOTTOM LINE - the ACTUAL VALUES are in the ORIG MANUAL under METTA PROGRAMMING.
Interesting! Thanks!

Wouldn't it be possible to just put a bunch of tiny trimmers on the card and then tune it that way rather than trying to guess with resistor values. Actual values fluctuate and yer never gonna get your exact patch translated. Sorry this is all new to me.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:17 am

Yes that's possible but handling the card might change the trimmers setting over times. You'd rather do this to set up the patch as a draft and then measure each trimmer value to reproduce it on a card with fixed resistors, accurate "exotic" values can be obtained using 2 SOT resistors in parallel.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

adolan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adolan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Woo! My Fed Ex tracking number landed! everything is on its way! my Synthi VCS 3 Card, extra cables etc..this weekend coming I will disappear into the abyss of bananas bongos and fun!

JoeMatt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JoeMatt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:24 pm

Got mine! Was unexpected with the COVID delays, had no idea it was coming this week, though it'd be another month.

I put together a really quick first impressions video. My first buchla so took a few mins to figure out a patch to make sound, skip to 4:20 if you're not interested in the overview part.

If anyone wants to see something specific, let me know. Been playing with it for 2 days now, pretty awesome but much different than subtractive synths. Not great tutorials out there, didn't come with much of a manual, trying to figure it out by copying patches from youtube vids of Alexander Cortinini performing on his Easel :hmm:

0netwo0netwo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:50 pm

JoeMatt wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:24 pm
Got mine! Was unexpected with the COVID delays, had no idea it was coming this week, though it'd be another month.

I put together a really quick first impressions video. My first buchla so took a few mins to figure out a patch to make sound, skip to 4:20 if you're not interested in the overview part.

If anyone wants to see something specific, let me know. Been playing with it for 2 days now, pretty awesome but much different than subtractive synths. Not great tutorials out there, didn't come with much of a manual, trying to figure it out by copying patches from youtube vids of Alexander Cortinini performing on his Easel :hmm:

this manual right here is pretty good

i dont have a buchla but its fun for me to read since i was thinking about getting one
maybe it will help you out

https://buchla.com/guides/Buchla_Music_Easel_Manual.pdf

tele_player
Common Wiggler

Post by tele_player » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Frankly, the manual is a reasonable tutorial, and an historical novelty, but it’s not a good manual.
Better than nothing, I suppose.

makers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by makers » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Some silly Zaps liberally slathered in Vallhala Feq Echo...

ddp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ddp » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:31 am

The manual reflects the spirit of the music easel, it's not for everyone.
Buchla

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:44 am

tele_player wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 pm
Frankly, the manual is a reasonable tutorial, and an historical novelty, but it’s not a good manual.
Better than nothing, I suppose.
I wholeheartedly disagree. I think it's more of a manual than comes with any other buchla product. Sure, that alone doesn't make it good but when I first got my easel I went through the whole thing and it gave me quite the insight. It gave me the bare tools I needed to "get going".

I think the strength of the manual lies within the meta programming section.. in my opinion the card port is a big part of where the magic/power lies within the easel. It has opened so many possibilities in terms of usability and expandability. In terms of electronics I have zero background, by reading the manual I got a grasp and understanding of the possibilities of the card port.

I highly recommend any new easel user work through the manual. Along with some of Todd Barton's videos it's one of the best resources out there.

tele_player
Common Wiggler

Post by tele_player » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:06 am

I agree, as a tutorial, the manual is useful. But it lacks the basic item by item definition of all switches, jacks, sliders, modules which is typically found in user manuals. Also missing are table of contents, index. The PDF with faux typewriter font is also less readable than if it had been reformatted with a more modern font. I'm sure, when BEMI released the reissued Easel in 2013 (or 2014?), it was expedient to reuse the Strange manual, and kind of cute. But that doesn't make it good in objective terms.

The 208C addendum is more modern, but it assumes familiarity with the earlier original Easel and BEMI Easel.

My only experience with Buchla is with a 208p clone, but I just might buy Easel Command one of these days. I won't have any trouble understanding how to use the new one, but it's clear that there are going to be new users without a clue about where to begin.

Along those lines, a pre-programmed Card which gets the thing going quickly would also be nice, as is done with the $500 Erica Pico System III.

BLACK MARKET
Common Wiggler

Post by BLACK MARKET » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:47 am

It's great to hear so many people are receiving (and more importantly, enjoying) their Easel Commands! You guys/gals have no idea how stressful this has been knowing the scrutiny that this would be under. I'm glad we waited to make it as good as it could be instead of bowing to the pressure to get it out sooner and hopefully the majority of people feel it's been worth the wait. Thank you.

As far as the "manual" goes it's my understanding that Don's philosophies on things like that were coming from the perspective of a classically trained musician. When you invest in a professional instrument, they don't come with instructions on what every little part is and how to use it. A piano does not come with an instruction manual. A guitar does not come with an instruction manual. A Saxophone does not come with an instruction manual. At that level you would be expected to already have a basic understanding of what it is that you are looking at. This is an instrument that you need to explore AND practice to be good at. If you just painted by numbers then you wouldn't really learn your instrument inside-and-out therefore never becoming proficient at it.

After having said all of that... I'm now going to fly in the face of everything about those philosophies and we will be releasing more traditional tutorials (video and written) for a modern era since what's different is that there are new users to Buchla because of this instrument. We need to break it down in a language to help them kickstart their love affair with Don's artwork. The very talented Adam Clark did the 208C addendum and will continue working on the more comprehensive guides that tie into the upcoming Easel accessories. Really it came down to first focusing on getting the product itself out the door with the knowledge that the majority of early adopters weren't as stressed about instant gratification and that between batch#1 and #2 we could release a newer manual as more and more new users gravitate towards Buchla. The older manual is fascinating for some and the newer one will be fascinating for others. Whatever floats your Buchla boat.

THANK YOU!!!!!
much love
-eric
Buchla+BlackMarket+Dreadbox(NorthAmerica)+ZVEXEffects(Modular)+Foxtone
FATHER/HUSBAND/PLATE-SPINNER

tele_player
Common Wiggler

Post by tele_player » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:38 am

Bravo, Eric!

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:45 am

Much appreciated, Eric. I teach math and physics and I get similar sorts of comments about textbooks with the "the book doesn't tell me how to solve this problem" sort of thing. Well, it does, because it teaches the concepts. But I often give them supplemental material as well. I like the Strange manual and the learn by doing approach a lot but I do understand why some more specific additional material would be helpful. The addendum is great! Personally, I think the sort of approach Make Noise has is perfect: both theory and concrete examples.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”