Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:52 pm

My point is that if you have some feedback you think is important for Buchla (or any other designer/developer/producer) to hear, telling them directly, rather than just leaving it on a third party forum and hoping for the best, is likely to be more efficacious.

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:55 pm

I agree that personal feedback is well warranted and possibly appreciated, any interaction that I've had with Eric Fox has been pleasant to say the least.
mdoudoroff wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:00 am
Unlikely. You should probably be writing them directly.
I find it unlikely that this 3rd party forum and the input which its wide user base generates, is not being heard by BUSA. It's an open discussion among enthusiasts, all nicely bundled in one place. Quasi prime market feedback.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that I think an open discussion and maybe a general consensus of ideas may be of higher value than an inbox with 50+ emails full of recommendations.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:26 pm

01235813 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:55 pm
I find it unlikely that this 3rd party forum and the input which its wide user base generates, is not being heard by BUSA. It's an open discussion among enthusiasts, all nicely bundled in one place. Quasi prime market feedback.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that I think an open discussion and maybe a general consensus of ideas may be of higher value than an inbox with 50+ emails full of recommendations.
Maybe, but that would vary wildly from developer to developer. I’ve been around here a while. Some devs love hanging out at MW and are highly engaged, some are sporadic, and some would frankly rather die than come here. I’ve seen little evidence of anyone from Buchlas past or present being consistently engaged here, and precisely zero evidence of Buchla engaged in “market analysis”. Yes, Eric Fox is seemingly a pleasant and good guy, and a busy one—and that’s why I’ve found it most useful to contact him directly. Anyway, good luck. I like the arp clock sync cv idea, too.

Jericho
Common Wiggler

Post by Jericho » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:47 am

Franck wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:05 pm
thesnow wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:32 pm
can a buchla command c desktop be racked in a portable rack case? not to expand a bigger buchla system but just to be racked on its own?
You can buy the 208c without the boat or unrack it and put it in another boat, but you need a Buchla boat, because the size and power/control connector is special to Buchla.

see https://buchla.com/boats/

There are other companies that offer compatible systems.
I'm currently thinking of getting an easel command with the option to expand it later to a bigger rack. I'm aware that I would lose the midi functionality then. I've watched the USB Host installation video and the Easel Command seems to have ribbon cables to power it. I'm new to Buchla and I'm wondering if I need some sort of power adaptor to connect the unracked easel command to a regular Buchla boat?

here is the USB installation video.

rawore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rawore » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:30 pm

Searc for substrings ‘usb-a’ ‘usb host’ did not work on buchla site

This link gets to module order page:
https://buchla.com/product/buchla-easel ... TTYcPBckzM

rawore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rawore » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:35 pm

lilskullymane
Common Wiggler

Post by lilskullymane » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:32 pm

wonder if it’s possible to make the arp input on a 218e into a clock sync with a firmware update? or to slow down the min time without sync... hopefully not a hardware thing

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:42 pm

This would be nice to add to a eurorack setup as well as a serge setup.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:41 am

-
Last edited by 01235813 on Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:13 am

Jericho wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:47 am
I'm wondering if I need some sort of power adaptor to connect the unracked easel command to a regular Buchla boat?
This is a good question. I had automatically assumed it would just work..

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:22 am

quite excited today as my Easel Command is finally landing ! :sb:

Quick questions for UK folks : how is ordering Buchla bits direct from the USA ? I know I'm going to want to grab the USB Host port expansion...Looks like ordering direct from Buchla is this only way ? I did email them a week or so ago but I guess they're very busy. Is it ok just to go ahead & order from their online shop for a UK order like this ? cheers :guinness:

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 am

I got my USB Host from Signal Sounds in Glasgow... its a great store, very nice people.
https://www.signalsounds.com/buchla-format
Not sure if they still have them in stock though - drop them a line.

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:37 am

Xmit wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:22 am
quite excited today as my Easel Command is finally landing ! :sb:

Quick questions for UK folks : how is ordering Buchla bits direct from the USA ? I know I'm going to want to grab the USB Host port expansion...Looks like ordering direct from Buchla is this only way ? I did email them a week or so ago but I guess they're very busy. Is it ok just to go ahead & order from their online shop for a UK order like this ? cheers :guinness:
I got my expansion direct from Buchla. They were super fast and Eric answered the one question I asked on the order form comments. I've had decent luck with orders from UK firms coming here so I’d hope the reverse is also pretty safe, especially for such a small item.

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:55 am

^
yeah - I guess I'll just hit them up with an order, it's a simple jiffy bag in the post item any how isn't it.

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:57 am

chriscarter wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 am
I got my USB Host from Signal Sounds in Glasgow... its a great store, very nice people.
https://www.signalsounds.com/buchla-format
Not sure if they still have them in stock though - drop them a line.
aah - cheers ! I will give Signal Sounds a shout - didn't think of that.. I've bought Eurorack from them & they were great. ta dude

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:24 pm

Congrats mark - look forward to hearing where you take it...

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:54 pm

^ Cheers Andy !

Managed to spend a couple of hours with it tonight...

Initially a bit of a scare as something was rattling inside the case ... sounded like a screw. So I opened it up & lo & behold it was : one of the screws from the reverb tank.
Sorted that & thankfully all was well on power up.

Loving it. The tone is incredible. Got some nice initial sequencer fun going..
I can see the key is finding all the little perfect nooks & crannies.. but both oscillators have a lot more perfect sweet spot than I’d anticipated. It’s a learning curve I can’t wait to crack on with though.

Managed to find a USB Host expansion in stock at Schneidersladen in the end. Going to spend a few days just patching the Easel alone.. then I’ll try sticking some MIDI into it.

It’s a lovely instrument. Feels great to play. Well happy. 😊

rawore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rawore » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:54 pm

I’ve got a sensel morph attached to usb host not responsive . Is there specific 208c switch config to use usb host? Or an alternative test for host function. A simple device?

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:43 am

rawore wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:54 pm
I’ve got a sensel morph attached to usb host not responsive . Is there specific 208c switch config to use usb host? Or an alternative test for host function. A simple device?
Did you load in the Sensel preset for the Buchla? The default settings on the Sensel don't work with the Easel Command, so you need to spend a bit of time doing that initial configuration.

Two things to check if you already have:
1. Does the Sensel work with a DAW on your computer (or any other software)
2. Does the Easel Command work with any other MIDI devices in the USB A host port? Any simple keyboard should be able to run the Easel.

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:59 am

antonriehl wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:43 am
rawore wrote:
Did you load in the Sensel preset for the Buchla? The default settings on the Sensel don't work with the Easel Command, so you need to spend a bit of time doing that initial configuration.

2. Does the Easel Command work with any other MIDI devices in the USB A host port? Any simple keyboard should be able to run the Easel.
Download link to the preset file is here: https://morph.sensel.com/pages/easel

captnapalm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captnapalm » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:06 am

Does anybody know what is needed to plug a 208c into a standard card edge PSU distro board? Is Buchla USA selling a converter cable, or anybody know what the 208c connector is exactly?

adolan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adolan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:49 pm

I know this may be a dumb question but say I have my TR-08 and my 208c and I want to control the tempo via the TR-08, how can I achieve this? If I set up the Tr-08>208c over midi cable what do I need to do to use the TR-08 as the clock? I cant trigger out from the TR-08 to the 208c right? (or can I?) so what else can I do? I am really looking for options I may not be aware of or thing about, with my SH-101 or SE-02 I get it but in the Buchla game im not so sure, sorry if that seems silly...

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:28 pm

The 208c doesn't respond to clock, but instead gates/pulses. So, I'll sometimes take the clock output of my other instruments (Keystep Pro, or Grandmother, etc) and run that into the gate input on the Easel Command. I can then set the pulser/sequencer/noise/EG etc to the Keyboard input, and they will follow that clock.

I don't know the TR-08 well, but it looks like it can output midi, and if that's the case you could "play" the 208c from the TR-08. You might also be able to use that trigger output into the gate input on the 208c.

For the MIDI implementation, Buchla has made pretty much everything accessible through midi, and you can see it on their documentation: https://buchla.com/guides/208C_208MIDI_ ... tation.pdf
For example, if you send midi notes 9-11 on any channel 1-5, you would trigger just the pulser. You could then set a constant rhythm (8ths or 16ths) to the pulser, and use that to drive the rest of the 208c.

rawore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rawore » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:45 pm

antonriehl wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:43 am
rawore wrote:

Thanks for help. I had the right template. Eric replied today saying to try powering off and unplugging the host module, checking if din midi in worked... I looked more closely and found my problem... my answer to Eric:

"Din was working.

Took a look at the ‘socket’ for the usb-host plug-in from the ‘back’, right side of the case. Found that the leftmost pin of the module ‘back’ was hanging out; had separated the long left row from the back row...

Removed host board, gently bent the left side of the ‘socket’ back true to the end row and watched closely to make sure pins were all in socket holes. Powered up, Success.

User error.

I had plugged and un plugged the host board before writing you earlier but had not noticed the pin in the gap between socket sides.

Synth madness associated with new module ;)

"

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:53 pm

rawore wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:45 pm
Took a look at the ‘socket’ for the usb-host plug-in from the ‘back’, right side of the case. Found that the leftmost pin of the module ‘back’ was hanging out; had separated the long left row from the back row...

Removed host board, gently bent the left side of the ‘socket’ back true to the end row and watched closely to make sure pins were all in socket holes. Powered up, Success.

User error.

I had plugged and un plugged the host board before writing you earlier but had not noticed the pin in the gap between socket sides.

Synth madness associated with new module ;)
Yeah - I had a really hard time getting the USB host board seated right myself, so you’re not alone in the struggle.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”