Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by antonriehl » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:01 pm

rawore wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:45 pm
Thanks for help. I had the right template. Eric replied today saying to try powering off and unplugging the host module, checking if din midi in worked... I looked more closely and found my problem... my answer to Eric:

"Din was working.

Took a look at the ‘socket’ for the usb-host plug-in from the ‘back’, right side of the case. Found that the leftmost pin of the module ‘back’ was hanging out; had separated the long left row from the back row...

Removed host board, gently bent the left side of the ‘socket’ back true to the end row and watched closely to make sure pins were all in socket holes. Powered up, Success.

User error.

I had plugged and un plugged the host board before writing you earlier but had not noticed the pin in the gap between socket sides.

Synth madness associated with new module ;)

"
Glad to hear it was an easy fix, and good eye for catching it! Those multipin connectors are deceiving for sure!

peloazul
Common Wiggler

Post by peloazul » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:53 am

captnapalm wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:06 am
Does anybody know what is needed to plug a 208c into a standard card edge PSU distro board? Is Buchla USA selling a converter cable, or anybody know what the 208c connector is exactly?
It's a little card edge connector on a pcb with a 26 pin socket. Pic inline but crappy. Can crack open case if you need a better photo. I ordered a 208C so it came with the adaptor.
IMG_0880.png
IMG_0880.png (189.59 KiB) Viewed 1536 times

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:34 am

Yeah - I had a really hard time getting the USB host board seated right myself, so you’re not alone in the struggle.
thirded. Having read this thread I was super careful doing this last night... Powered my Beatstep Pro up & I assumed all was good. But quickly realised no note / gate data happening at all. I checked the BSP was spewing MIDI out via USB by connecting it to Live quickly - all good.

The little Teesnsy host chip appeared to be seated just fine in the socket - But simply pulling it out & reseating it again, pushing it in this time with a bit more force than I really deemed acceptable did the trick.

Just thought worth adding this to the thread for future folks doing the same thing - as it was a bit of a headscratcher otherwise.

captnapalm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captnapalm » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:17 am

peloazul wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:53 am

It's a little card edge connector on a pcb with a 26 pin socket. Pic inline but crappy. Can crack open case if you need a better photo. I ordered a 208C so it came with the adaptor.

IMG_0880.png
Thanks! Apparently the person I was looking for one for contacted BUSA and they shipped him out a cable.

dumaisaudio
Common Wiggler

Post by dumaisaudio » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:47 pm

For someone getting into Buchla for the first time, should I look at waiting for the 208c and updated 218 later this year, or am I safe to look at used BEMI easels? Seems like the quality control on BEMI stuff wasn’t that good, so I’m guessing it’s best to wait. I definitely want the easel all in one format, which it seems that Buchla is bringing back.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:46 pm

Just wanted to point out that Todd Barton has started a nifty series focused on the 208C. The first two videos are live on YouTube, with more coming.

dumaisaudio wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:47 pm
For someone getting into Buchla for the first time, should I look at waiting for the 208c and updated 218 later this year, or am I safe to look at used BEMI easels? Seems like the quality control on BEMI stuff wasn’t that good, so I’m guessing it’s best to wait. I definitely want the easel all in one format, which it seems that Buchla is bringing back.
Depends how patient you are. 😉 I’m waiting.

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:05 pm

dumaisaudio wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:47 pm
My inclination is to use the 208c, and then add in the 218 once it is out... of course I already have the Easel Command, so I might be biased. The cool thing with the 208c is that you get the sound, and you have the opportunity to really learn that module without "needing" the 218. And you can still use a myriad of other controllers with the Easel Command. I've also heard that there will be an upgrade path to the completed Easel, so unless there is a large gap in price by buying them separately, if you can get one now, then you're already on the path.

I also think being able to use a full Easel with the MIDI/CV controls of the Easel Command will continue to provide a future of integration with other gear you may have. So, if you question the build quality of the BEMI versions, I think you should get the Command.
mdoudoroff wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:46 pm
Just wanted to point out that Todd Barton has started a nifty series focused on the 208C. The first two videos are live on YouTube, with more coming.
This series is so good already. It really shows that his years of knowledge allow him to approach this instrument in exciting ways.

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:27 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:

Amazing stuff. I’ve only had my 208c easel command for a few weeks, and keep finding myself amazed at how simple and how deep it is. I’ve wanted a Buchla since 1980 -ish when I was a 12 year old reading secondhand synth mags that I got for 10 cents at the library book sale. While it’s crazy it took this long it does seem like a good time to finally get on board.

prphnc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by prphnc » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:21 am

Ears wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:27 pm
mdoudoroff wrote:

Amazing stuff. I’ve only had my 208c easel command for a few weeks, and keep finding myself amazed at how simple and how deep it is. I’ve wanted a Buchla since 1980 -ish when I was a 12 year old reading secondhand synth mags that I got for 10 cents at the library book sale. While it’s crazy it took this long it does seem like a good time to finally get on board.
40 years. Isn't that the normal waiting time for buchla? Reminds me to finally put myself on the synthi list. :hihi:
I am also waiting for the new Easel :hyper:

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:46 am

prphnc wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:21 am
Ears wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:27 pm
mdoudoroff wrote:

40 years. Isn't that the normal waiting time for buchla? Reminds me to finally put myself on the synthi list. :hihi:
I am also waiting for the new Easel :hyper:
LOL. I am kicking myself for not ordering a Synthi back in the day - seriously I thought about it in college but was way too broke for such things. With 20/20 hindsight it would’ve worked out most likely in terms of finances.

Anyhow I think you’ll find your Easel well worth the wait!

Molotov
Common Wiggler

Post by Molotov » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:16 am

In case anyone in the UK are looking to get one of these, I just ordered the Easel Command from Juno and clicked for 'better price' and got it for £2599. Which seems to be a fair bit cheaper than elsewhere!
Ambient // Drone // Elektronische Musik.

Radio/blog: https://www.flatlandfrequencies.com/
Submissions: flatlandfrequencies@gmail.com

kapteinknirk
1-Post Wiggler

Post by kapteinknirk » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:51 am

Hi all, first post in this forum! 

Got my 208c about two weeks ago, and I am so glad I went the Buchla way! It truly is a living and breathing thing!

I initially had the impression that it could be difficult to program, but as mentioned in previous posts, it's really intuitive, and it's so easy to get something really special and interesting going on! 

This is my first experience with Buchla, and I am already gasing for the 100/200 series reissues...  where will this lead me? 8-)

dumaisaudio
Common Wiggler

Post by dumaisaudio » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:11 am

Sounds like I should be patient and wait then, which is what I was leaning towards. I'm not seeing anywhere in the US that has the command module in stock anyway.

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:16 am

n case anyone in the UK are looking to get one of these, I just ordered the Easel Command from Juno and clicked for 'better price' and got it for £2599. Which seems to be a fair bit cheaper than elsewhere!
arrghh. Why didn't I do that ! :bang:

I had one on order with KMR - took advantage of their 10% Black Fri sale which got it down to £2565.....But ultimately they couldn't fulfil the order : it became apparent that Commands had landed in the UK about a fortnight ago, but KMRs were already spoken for - they took 3, I was number 4 on the list.
They said they weren't at all sure when they'd get some more so offered me a refund.

In my panic I just ordered from Juno at full price. Idiot. :hihi:

Oh well - it's only money. :confused: :hihi:

Still - I don't regret a penny. Next to my KARP 2600FS the 208C is easily the best synth I've ever bought. Congrats on yours ! ;)

Molotov
Common Wiggler

Post by Molotov » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:29 am

Xmit wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:16 am

Still - I don't regret a penny. Next to my KARP 2600FS the 208C is easily the best synth I've ever bought. Congrats on yours ! ;)
Likewise! Feel very fortunate to finally own one and also lighter, having shifted a load of stuff to afford it..
One day I'd love to get it in a case with a 218, but I'm happy to wait and use it as-is for now.

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:52 pm

Watching Todd Barton’s videos I realized that the random step sequence thing is done with an internal switch. Anyone do this yet, and do you have thoughts on the trade offs? I’m thinking the step stuff is more interesting to me than one more Mod Osc CV, but I don’t know what I don’t know...

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:24 am

Ears wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:52 pm
Watching Todd Barton’s videos I realized that the random step sequence thing is done with an internal switch. Anyone do this yet, and do you have thoughts on the trade offs? I’m thinking the step stuff is more interesting to me than one more Mod Osc CV, but I don’t know what I don’t know...
I changed it 2 weeks ago, and have found it to be a very rewarding change. The change is a very simple one, so easy to go back if you don't like it. I will probably keep mine set this way. :)

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:05 am

Ears wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:52 pm
Highly recommended, the "price you pay" for doing this is not being able to use a shorting bar to connect the modulation oscillator's pitch to the sequencer, you have to use a cable. In the manual Joel Davel makes reference to why he made this connection on the 208c.

With the original Easel (and all of the clones) it was possible to make a connection between the sequencer and MO pitch via banana. With the Easel reissue, the MO frequency and Index have been mirrored thus removing the ability to use a shorting bar to patch sequencer to MO pitch.

From the 208c addendum:
It re-establishes a shorting bar distance connection from the sequencer to the modulation oscillator that was in the 1974 208 and provide another independent input to the modulation oscillator.
Here a link to the 208c addendum

I've really taken an appreciation to the shorting bars. With one hand and one move you can make or break a connection, you can actually incorporate this into the way you play. It took me a while before I fully understood and appreciated the power of the shorting bars. Not to mention that they are tidy and easily assessable.

You can also affect the stages of the sequencer using the sustain input from the envelope generator. The sustain input then controls both the stages and the EG sustain. This involves shorting a 2-pin header (H29) on the pcb via a jumper. This is easily done if you have a jumper. This way you can keep the connection from MO to the sequencer using a banana bar whilst being able to control sequencer stages from the front panel. The EG sustain and MO stages input then "share" an input connection.

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:11 am

Thanks all - gonna pull out the screwdriver and try it out today!

And yeah, I love the shorting bars for all the reasons mentioned!

shanebroderick
Common Wiggler

Post by shanebroderick » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:02 pm

Does everyone agree about the build quality? Any problems out there?

mgscheue
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:29 pm

Zero problems for me!

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:50 am

^
Build quality is great. I had a loose screw rattling around when I unboxed : it was just from the reverb tank, probably just never tightened up on assembly. Poppsed the hood & screwed it back in tight - all good. My Master out knob seems a little 'scratchy' compared to the others ( physically I mean, not crackly audio etc ), but it's hardly a big deal & I guess it may loosen up a bit with time. Having said that, it's sort of set & forget anyway: I have it around 3 'o' clock & then I seem to be doing all my adjustments from the two Gate Channel knobs.

I love it.

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:31 am

I’m very happy with the build quality on mine. Not sure what kinds of issues were around for BEMI days, but so far I’m very pleased.

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:04 am

Completely happy with the build quality on mine. Solid as a rock, no loose parts, knobs and sliders smooth as silk. 100% satisfied.

Molotov
Common Wiggler

Post by Molotov » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:11 pm

edit: Deleted as found answer earlier in thread :doh:

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”