Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Molotov
Common Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by Molotov » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:16 am

Hello, I was wondering if anyone got reliable results from using the m.o.freq input, to trigger the sequencer steps?

I’ve flicked the internal switch to seq mode to enable this mode.

When using an external clock straight in, it doesn’t work, perhaps my clock pulse is too weak? When using a pulse direct from the pulser, it triggers the sequencer, but it’s kind of erratic and jumps all over the place. I’ve tried boosting my external clock in via the preamp and again, it sort of works, but not consistently.

I’m using a midi to clock converter and it’s producing a steady pulse.

However this is my first Buchla, so I’m not au fait with their needs. Perhaps they expect a ‘thicker’ pulse than other systems?

I’d love to get this working as would like to hook it up to a looper eventually..
Ambient // Drone // Elektronische Musik.

Radio/blog: https://www.flatlandfrequencies.com/
Submissions: flatlandfrequencies@gmail.com

Molotov
Common Wiggler

Post by Molotov » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:24 am

Hmm, going via the inverter seems to be helping!

Sidiblue
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sidiblue » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:49 pm

Hi,do you have an idea about the availability of the next batches?
Thanks!
I am on a waiting list :party:
Last edited by Sidiblue on Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

prphnc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by prphnc » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:23 pm

Molotov wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:16 am
Hello, I was wondering if anyone got reliable results from using the m.o.freq input, to trigger the sequencer steps?

When using an external clock straight in, it doesn’t work, perhaps my clock pulse is too weak? When using a pulse direct from the pulser, it triggers the sequencer, but it’s kind of erratic and jumps all over the place. I’ve tried boosting my external clock in via the preamp and again, it sort of works, but not consistently.

However this is my first Buchla, so I’m not au fait with their needs. Perhaps they expect a ‘thicker’ pulse than other systems?

I’d love to get this working as would like to hook it up to a looper eventually..

as far as i understand the adendum you can either use a cv source to modulate the step count or make the socket an output that gives a pulse when a step is in the off position. external clocking of the sequencer is done via the card.

Molotov
Common Wiggler

Post by Molotov » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:42 pm

prphnc wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:23 pm
Molotov wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:16 am

as far as i understand the adendum you can either use a cv source to modulate the step count or make the socket an output that gives a pulse when a step is in the off position. external clocking of the sequencer is done via the card.
Aha ok, modulating the step count would explain the erratic behaviour! I misunderstood it’s use then.. Shame they don’t come with the old school cards like the previous easels, as this is a feature I’d like to use 😃 thanks for the clarification!

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:00 pm

Improved old school program cards are available on http://www.portabellabz.be/208prog.html
A pulse input to clock the sequencer is a standard feature of the BOB expander and an optional feature of the 208 ToolBox http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

mella
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mella » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:39 pm

winn3r wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:33 pm
Buchla FB just posted this..

$3999 Easel and sub-$1000 LEM 218e coming Spring 2021. No new photos.

Timestamp 4:14:
https://www.facebook.com/BuchlaUSA/vide ... 572128601/

DOES ANYBODY HAVE MORE INFO ABOUT THIS? WHEN? HOW? pleazz
:cloud:

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:38 am

Anyone else had problems with the USB Host board in the Easel Command ?

I got a few lock-ups / hanging notes & the 208C stopped responding to all MIDI input at the weekend. I had an Arturia Beatstep Pro connected.

even a few power cycles didn't cure it initially. I then reverted to powering the BSP externally & using din MIDI & all was normal.
Then it worked again via the host port. Then crapped out again ... this time just powe cycling the BSP worked & then it worked solidly for a good hour or so

It's not a massive problem - though I am intending to play live with this set-up ( that was one of the reasons I got the Host Board - to streamline cables etc for gigs ) & it would be bit worrying thinking I might get a MIDI hang-up mid-set !

Intermittent problems are the worst - it's like there's no rhyme or reason to it

Sidiblue
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sidiblue » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:39 am

mella wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:39 pm
winn3r wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:33 pm
Buchla FB just posted this..

$3999 Easel and sub-$1000 LEM 218e coming Spring 2021. No new photos.

Timestamp 4:14:
https://www.facebook.com/BuchlaUSA/vide ... 572128601/

DOES ANYBODY HAVE MORE INFO ABOUT THIS? WHEN? HOW? pleazz
:cloud:
No everyone is waiting :)

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:27 am

Xmit wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:38 am
Anyone else had problems with the USB Host board in the Easel Command ?

I got a few lock-ups / hanging notes & the 208C stopped responding to all MIDI input at the weekend. I had an Arturia Beatstep Pro connected.

even a few power cycles didn't cure it initially. I then reverted to powering the BSP externally & using din MIDI & all was normal.
Then it worked again via the host port. Then crapped out again ... this time just powe cycling the BSP worked & then it worked solidly for a good hour or so

It's not a massive problem - though I am intending to play live with this set-up ( that was one of the reasons I got the Host Board - to streamline cables etc for gigs ) & it would be bit worrying thinking I might get a MIDI hang-up mid-set !

Intermittent problems are the worst - it's like there's no rhyme or reason to it
Mine was being erratic/stopped working. Turned out I didn’t seat it hard enough - that might not be your issue but it was mine, FWIW. Now it seems fine.

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:02 am

^
cheers. yeah, I did wonder about that. I'll see if it stays working now. If not I'll try re-seating even more firmly. It feels sort of wrong to press it in really really hard somehow ?! Like you'll break something ... :eek:

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:42 am

Xmit wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:02 am
^
cheers. yeah, I did wonder about that. I'll see if it stays working now. If not I'll try re-seating even more firmly. It feels sort of wrong to press it in really really hard somehow ?! Like you'll break something ... :eek:
Yeah it was kinda weird pushing it that hard. I’m used to ICs with shorter pins (and only on two sides), so it did feel like I was gonna break it.

Molotov
Common Wiggler

Post by Molotov » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:35 am

prphnc wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:23 pm
external clocking of the sequencer is done via the card.
In which case, instead of the sequencer, is there any way of external clocking the pulser without the program card?
Either midi clock or cv pulse? I notice it has off/ext mode as an option, but not getting much luck there either. I'd rather not use midi notes.. :hmm:

aquifer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aquifer » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:27 am

Yes - through the pulser input banana socket - set the pulser to 'kbd' and 'trans' and push the period slider to the top. Note that the pulser expects a 12v gate.

Molotov
Common Wiggler

Post by Molotov » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:48 am

aquifer wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:27 am
Yes - through the pulser input banana socket - set the pulser to 'kbd' and 'trans' and push the period slider to the top. Note that the pulser expects a 12v gate.
Oh excellent! Thanks for the tip, will try this tonight..

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:58 pm

This looks like a great price point for me to jump into the Buchla world. How would I get it to play well with my Eurorack gear? I'd love to be able to cross patch the Buchla from my eurorack sequencers and so forth. Now if only Serge would come out with an affordable entry point then having these two classics would be amazing.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:48 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:58 pm
This looks like a great price point for me to jump into the Buchla world. How would I get it to play well with my Eurorack gear? I'd love to be able to cross patch the Buchla from my eurorack sequencers and so forth. Now if only Serge would come out with an affordable entry point then having these two classics would be amazing.
The simple answer is that the Easel Command accepts 1v/oct and Eurorack gate.

But, if you want to go back and forth, a format jumbler is a great option. I just added this one from Low-Gain, and immediately started getting amazing back and forth modulation. https://www.low-gain.com/shop/p/utl1

They also have one with inline attenuators, if you need that. You should plan to use an attenuator going from Buchla to Eurorack to control any differences in voltage. (From what I understand, most Eurorack won't be damaged by 15v, but I don't know if that's always true)

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:08 am

I’ve done all the work to integrate my Easel Command with my modular rig and lots of other gear. But really I’m not doing a lot there beyond integrating controllers (right now I’m loving my Haken Continuum, my MicroFreak and my 0-Control for different flavors of this). Otherwise, I’m not really playing outside the 208c box much. The 208c is a very deep ecosystem, and one I keep finding new areas to dig into without adding in the gazillion pieces of other owned gear I could hook up. Part of why I’m loving the Command is that it’s a deep, self contained realm to play in. It’s a true instrument.

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:08 am

getting back to my troubles with the USB Host module : I'm ready to throw it out of the window now. :sstorm:

Not working again. Opened the 208C up - re-seated about 10 times, checked & re-checked. Then actually didn't seat it fully - had it standing a bit proud...Worked. Great, I thought. Popped the top back on - checked, still working. Screwed the plate back on, moved back in situ in my studio & powered on - nope. Back to power only, no MIDI input. I bought this thing for live use - hardly confidence inspiring if gently moving it causes it to flake out again.

Then spent another 30 mins or so re-seating, power-cycling, repeat. Nothing. Can't get it to work at all now. I've taken it out & have reverted back to good 'ol DIN MIDI.

I think there has to be something wrong with this Host board ? they can't be that flaky ? All the pins are in fine... Guess I may have to contact Buchla. :cry:

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:28 am

Ugh. Hopefully someone at Buchla can sort it out for you! Deep breath...

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:43 am

yeah cheers - support ticket sent

izmond
Common Wiggler

Post by izmond » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:41 pm

Good luck with your midi board. And on that note, what do you guys like to use the usb midi for? It’s nice having it power and receive midi from a keyboard (til the new 218 comes out), and my wife bought me a playtronica touch thingy (which could be cooler than it is), I was a little disappointed that my OP-Z doesn’t send midi over usb(seems like it should). I may eventually get the morph, but is anybody having revelatory experiences with any other controller types?

Kja
Common Wiggler

Post by Kja » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:56 pm

Opz send's midi over usb.. You have it set wrong. Read the manual.

mgscheue
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:27 pm

Just got an email from Detroit Modular that they have some Easel Commands in stock, in case anybody’s looking.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:19 am

antonriehl wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:48 pm
The simple answer is that the Easel Command accepts 1v/oct and Eurorack gate.

But, if you want to go back and forth, a format jumbler is a great option. I just added this one from Low-Gain, and immediately started getting amazing back and forth modulation. https://www.low-gain.com/shop/p/utl1

They also have one with inline attenuators, if you need that. You should plan to use an attenuator going from Buchla to Eurorack to control any differences in voltage. (From what I understand, most Eurorack won't be damaged by 15v, but I don't know if that's always true)
Awesome! I think that it would be a great addition to my setup along with more mixers and percussion modules. I also like the 252e Buchla Polyphonic Rhythm Generator module but think you need a separate boat for that module.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”