New Random*Source Serge oscillator?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

luchog
Crazy Pony

New Random*Source Serge oscillator?

Post by luchog » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:16 pm

Just saw this pop up on Modulargrid earlier this week: https://www.modulargrid.net/s/random-so ... and-trough

Dual PCO Precision Oscillator, with Peak and Trough, from Random*Source. Not seeing anything about it on the R*S website or Facebook. If legit, this would definitely be a must-have for my rig; but so far haven't found anything saying it's legit.

dksynth
Common Wiggler

Post by dksynth » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:53 pm

it is on their instagram so dollars to donuts it is legit

harolddonnelly
Veteran Wiggler

Post by harolddonnelly » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Looks like it might be legit!

What are peoples thoughts about breaking from the vertical grid structure with the VCOs? I think its kinda cool, feels congruent with the DUSG layout idea.
Last edited by harolddonnelly on Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flipper16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by flipper16 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:59 pm

The image has been taken from the Random*Source Instagram account so I would say it's legit... :tu:

https://www.instagram.com/serge_by_random_source/

R*S are pretty slow in updating their website and Facebook pages.

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:37 pm

This would be a pretty weird troll.
Honestly, I’d rather a crossfader than a peak and trough, though I get the appeal of the latter. It’s a great thing to add, anyway. I should leave a space free.

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:21 pm

dksynth wrote:it is on their instagram so dollars to donuts it is legit
I don't really do Instagram, so that explains why I missed it. Glad that it's legit, because it would be really useful to add to my Serge system eventually.
syncretism wrote:Honestly, I’d rather a crossfader than a peak and trough, though I get the appeal of the latter. It’s a great thing to add, anyway. I should leave a space free.
Personally, I would have preferred a Ring Modulator, but unfortunately they already stuck that on the Waveshaper, which I don't have nearly as much use for.
harolddonnelly wrote:What are peoples thoughts about breaking from the vertical grid structure with the VCOs? I think its kinda cool, feels congruent with the DUSG layout idea.
I have no strong feelings one way or the other, since I got my start in modular with Eurorack. Can't see any real disadvantage, other than preventing the use of standard banana bridge plugs.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:21 am

cool for modulation, but why they didn´t put the range switch on nto ( as the one on the animate)? and instead of this they do a matrix mixer or something. Or a dual preamp. Or the frequency sh.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:14 am

harolddonnelly wrote: What are peoples thoughts about breaking from the vertical grid structure with the VCOs? I think its kinda cool, feels congruent with the DUSG layout idea.
Well it looks like a DUSG layout... so goes well enough.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

qwoned
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qwoned » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:05 am

FatRocky wrote:cool for modulation, but why they didn´t put the range switch on nto ( as the one on the animate)? and instead of this they do a matrix mixer or something. Or a dual preamp. Or the frequency sh.
yeah I agree all three of those options would be much more interesting. I'd add bi-directional switch, active processor, ASR, …

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:25 am

qwoned wrote:
FatRocky wrote:cool for modulation, but why they didn´t put the range switch on nto ( as the one on the animate)? and instead of this they do a matrix mixer or something. Or a dual preamp. Or the frequency sh.
yeah I agree all three of those options would be much more interesting. I'd add bi-directional switch, active processor, ASR, …
I mean i understand they are doing the very essential and original modules first. in that case i´d be happy to hear the VCF 73 by R*S as well ( With TRIG IN mod of course)

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:12 pm

Potentially very exciting. If the basic circuitry has had a shake up too, then we would be seeing more of the input of Serge's return. To me that would be the main news here.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:21 pm

A couple years ago Ralf mentioned to me that they were planning to do a dual PCO in 3 columns like this.

Personally I would prefer the range switch on both oscillators, and just the single 1V/Oct input jack (the 2nd one on the top VCO looks a bit out-of-place). IMO that would be more interesting combined with the peak/trough.

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:40 pm

diophantine wrote:Personally I would prefer the range switch on both oscillators, and just the single 1V/Oct input jack (the 2nd one on the top VCO looks a bit out-of-place). IMO that would be more interesting combined with the peak/trough.
Wonder if that means that the bottom one would work well as an LFO.

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:02 pm

luchog wrote:
diophantine wrote:Personally I would prefer the range switch on both oscillators, and just the single 1V/Oct input jack (the 2nd one on the top VCO looks a bit out-of-place). IMO that would be more interesting combined with the peak/trough.
Wonder if that means that the bottom one would work well as an LFO.
It definitely does, and the range switch has been sorely missing from the R*S NTOs - too bad, because there's absolutely enough panel room for a switch.

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:30 am

ashleym wrote:Potentially very exciting. If the basic circuitry has had a shake up too, then we would be seeing more of the input of Serge's return. To me that would be the main news here.
Exactly. Otherwise his extremely welcome return could be less rewarding than I’d hoped. It’s the development of the odd bod modules I still hopeful and excited about

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:14 pm

When I spoke with Serge a few months ago, and asked him about getting an NTO, he told me to wait because he had something new in the works. So yes, this is almost certainly legit.

Edit-follow up: I just spoke with Serge and indeed it is a dual saw-core VCO pair.
Last edited by The Grump on Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fonik » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:59 am

The PCO ist the same circuitry as the NTO, but with less features.

If we talk P&T don't think of control voltages only. But yes, mixers and processors are always welcome in a Serge system. I get this point.
Big Boss at fonitronik.de
Tech Buddy at Random*Source/Serge

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:32 am

fonik wrote:The PCO ist the same circuitry as the NTO, but with less features.

If we talk P&T don't think of control voltages only. But yes, mixers and processors are always welcome in a Serge system. I get this point.
One of the only utilities I add to my eurorack serge is a Doepfer Max/Min (A172). I have created strange timbres processing peak and trough differently.

fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fonik » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:09 pm

luketeaford wrote:One of the only utilities I add to my eurorack serge is a Doepfer Max/Min (A172). I have created strange timbres processing peak and trough differently.
You got it! :banana:

We are very excited actually to have the P&T as a companion for the dual PCO.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:55 am

fonik wrote:
luketeaford wrote:One of the only utilities I add to my eurorack serge is a Doepfer Max/Min (A172). I have created strange timbres processing peak and trough differently.
You got it! :banana:

We are very excited actually to have the P&T as a companion for the dual PCO.

CAn I use the P&T section of the DUSG XL the same way?

fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fonik » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:41 am

FatRocky wrote:
fonik wrote:We are very excited actually to have the P&T as a companion for the dual PCO.
CAn I use the P&T section of the DUSG XL the same way?
This is the very reason we added the P&T to our DUSG MKII, since the DUSG MKII runs nicely as an VCO (tracking up to 4 octaves when set up properly and running the right range).

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:03 pm

"Moon on a stick" thinking here, but I'd like to see a variation of Peaks & Troughs with two signal inputs and a trigger input for a simple sample & hold for each section. Lot of power in one quarter of a Random*Source 4x4 module!

papa
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by papa » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:51 am

fonik wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:59 am
The PCO ist the same circuitry as the NTO, but with less features.

What I would relay go for this design is two waveshapers to give back some folding. Although P&T can do superb things, a PCO lucks for me the shaping and the idea to fold and give cv would be nice choice.
The rule is 2/1 (2 cv per 1 audio) spread the word!

johannes
Common Wiggler

Re: New Random*Source Serge oscillator?

Post by johannes » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:14 pm

Nice, will there be a eurorack version of this vco?

johannes
Common Wiggler

Re: New Random*Source Serge oscillator?

Post by johannes » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Doublepost

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”