New Random*Source Serge oscillator?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by levelhead3 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:09 pm

diophantine wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:21 pm
Personally I would prefer the range switch on both oscillators, and just the single 1V/Oct input jack (the 2nd one on the top VCO looks a bit out-of-place). IMO that would be more interesting combined with the peak/trough.
Ditto. That second 1V/Oct input placement looks really awkward. A range switch would add a lot more functionality in this context. Maybe for the production version? (fingers crossed)

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: New Random*Source Serge oscillator?

Post by FatRocky » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:47 pm

The Peak and Trough on the DUSG XL works great with the sections as oscillators. I think the second CV input is there for feedback patches.

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:39 pm

Aye, hadn't meant to criticize the inclusion of the second 1v/oct jack - the original PCO has one (along with a range switch) - but just it's panel location. To my eye having the banana jack in that off-grid location just looked hackneyed here, especially with the truncated '1V/O' label. The range switch works better in that position.

I know they did the same thing on the XL, but at least there they were consistent with the 'both' jack, which sort of sets up a pattern. The 'pulse' jack still bugs me on that module too though.

Really though, I think the stacked module layout for the dual PCO was a mistake. I understand the "big section/little section" aesthetic of the 4x4 series, but in this case I think the traditional layout would have felt less cramped and awkward.

In my fantasy world the dual PCO would be two vertical modules, and that amazing peak & trough section would replace the squashed vertical single CV processor on the Dual Slope Generator module. The traditional stacked dual CV processor would then appear on some other module - as it does on the Edelweiss. I'll be getting an Edelwiess instead of the component 4x4 modules for that very reason.

fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fonik » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:47 pm

johannes wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:14 pm
Nice, will there be a eurorack version of this vco?
Considering the grid and our front-panel specifications I think the NTO is the better option for Eurorack. But I am open to ideas, so what do you think?
Big Boss at fonitronik.de
Tech Buddy at Random*Source/Serge

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:57 pm

fonik wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:47 pm
johannes wrote:
Considering the grid and our front-panel specifications I think the NTO is the better option for Eurorack. But I am open to ideas, so what do you think?
I agree that NTO is the way to go in Euro, but if you're taking requests that extended ADSR would be a welcome 14hp.

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:04 am

Speaking of the NTO & mixers, any word on the 3 channel mixer currently paired to La Bestia's NTO appearing on a 4x4 module? It's the only mixer > 2 channels in the R*S catalog at the moment, it would be very welcome in the 4x4 world.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:21 am

levelhead3 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:04 am
Speaking of the NTO & mixers, any word on the 3 channel mixer currently paired to La Bestia's NTO appearing on a 4x4 module? It's the only mixer > 2 channels in the R*S catalog at the moment, it would be very welcome in the 4x4 world.
The 555 4x4 has the 3 channel audio mixer as well - but your point is still valid since there aren’t many of them and they are discontinued.
I would love to see a Utility 4x4 - something like a preamp, a dual VCA, audio mixer & cv processor.

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:04 pm

levelhead3 wrote:

Indeed. More than the Peak and Trough and similar utilities, I'd really like to see more VCAs and mixers; like the X-Fader, or the 3-channel CV mixer that the La Bestia has. The basic DUSG has the CV processor, but it would be nice to have a dual like the Edelweiss has. What would be great is a 4x4 CV processor module, akin to the STS CV Processor M-Class; with the CV Mixer from La Bestia, the CV Processor from the DUSG 4x4, an Active Processor, and a X-fader or Schmidt trigger.

Something like a 4x4 version of the EuroSerge ACTIVE PRO / NOISE / PRECISION CV-PRO module, replacing the Noise section with a linear VCA, would be awesome. And maybe an Audio version with log versions of the linear processors on that module.

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Re:

Post by levelhead3 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:05 am

levelhead3 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:09 pm
diophantine wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:21 pm
Personally I would prefer the range switch on both oscillators, and just the single 1V/Oct input jack (the 2nd one on the top VCO looks a bit out-of-place). IMO that would be more interesting combined with the peak/trough.
Ditto. That second 1V/Oct input placement looks really awkward. A range switch would add a lot more functionality in this context. Maybe for the production version? (fingers crossed)
Quasi-dead horse award, but I've been spending time looking at various R*S panel combinations and the stacked PCO layout is actually growing on me.

One final thought though - it would look a lot less awkward (and be a lot more functional) if both oscillators had both the 2nd 1v/o jack and range switch. Assuming the functionality is there underneath the panel on the PCB, any chance this can make it to the production version?

As it sits now it's less functional than the original vertical version, and it doesn't need to be. The current prototype/concept design proves there is room for both input jack and switch.

My OCD still twigs a bit on the '1V/O' text, but only because it's sitting right next to the primary jack's '1V/OCT' text. Maybe make them both '1V/O' as you do in other tight quarter locations (e.g. the DSG XL and DTG/ADSR modules)?

So that's my vote - add the range switch to both, and have the 2nd 1v/oct input either on both or, to play devil's advocate, neither. The NTO has the dual 1V/oct jacks already, so having a single 1v/oct jack but adding the range switch for the PCO would help differentiate between the two oscillators modules. And might motivate sales as well... :whistle:

fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fonik » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:21 am

deltaphoenix wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:21 am
I would love to see a Utility 4x4 - something like a preamp, a dual VCA, audio mixer & cv processor.
Yes. That sound good.
Since we still expand the portfolio it is always a balance between panels/modules for starter and panels/modules for larger systems. But one thing is for sure, there is a lack of utilites like simple VCAs, processors and stuff.
Big Boss at fonitronik.de
Tech Buddy at Random*Source/Serge

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:22 am

fonik wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:21 am
deltaphoenix wrote:
Yes. That sound good.
Since we still expand the portfolio it is always a balance between panels/modules for starter and panels/modules for larger systems. But one thing is for sure, there is a lack of utilites like simple VCAs, processors and stuff.
Understandable, building out a full range of reengineered modules is a monumental undertaking and I know a lot of people are grateful for this work - I am.

Also, good to hear that you get that users could use more simple utility modules and hopefully that is remedied after the PCO :)

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:35 pm

deltaphoenix wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:22 am
fonik wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:21 am
deltaphoenix wrote:
Yes. That sound good.
Understandable, building out a full range of reengineered modules is a monumental undertaking and I know a lot of people are grateful for this work - I am.

Also, good to hear that you get that users could use more simple utility modules and hopefully that is remedied after the PCO :)
Indeed. Love to see what R*S is doing with their 4x4 panel offerings; it's a nice compromise between the larger Shop/M-class formats, and the single-module LW/CGS format. I'm just impatient for more utilities. :cloud:

johannes
Common Wiggler

Post by johannes » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:00 pm

fonik wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:47 pm
johannes wrote:

i think for crossmodulating sines and all kind of fm purposes the dual pco would be very handy, if you would like to go the serge euro route.
of course the dusg xl has the 2 sine outs but not the eurorack version. :waah:

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:36 pm

levelhead3 wrote:
There's always the attenuverting mixer that accompanies the DUSG, which is pretty powerful in its own right for audio purposes, but admittedly a unipolar audio mixer is no mess, no fuss. And of course, as noted, there's the dual 555.

Then again, there was no crossfader in 4x4 beyond the NTO module until the triple waveshaper came out, and god damn, I am hurting for crossfaders. The crossfader is the main reason I've gone so long with a Gator instead of, say, a DUSG and Divide + Compare module.

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:39 am

syncretism wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:36 pm
levelhead3 wrote:
There's always the attenuverting mixer that accompanies the DUSG, which is pretty powerful in its own right for audio purposes, but admittedly a unipolar audio mixer is no mess, no fuss. And of course, as noted, there's the dual 555.

Then again, there was no crossfader in 4x4 beyond the NTO module until the triple waveshaper came out, and god damn, I am hurting for crossfaders. The crossfader is the main reason I've gone so long with a Gator instead of, say, a DUSG and Divide + Compare module.
Anyone know of the 555 is truly discontinued or just out of stock? Because it sounds like a fantastic VCO. And it has a mixer. :mrgreen:

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:23 am

i´m getting very excited with this module ( the Peak and Trough module specifically) .
After playing hours with the DUSG XL ´s P&T at audiorates, i believe this module (placed together with the NTO ) is a drone monster machine.
And if you add a DUSG XL it will be even better.

The simple reason: 3 x PEAK INPUTS , 3 x TROUGH INPUTS. I´ll be getting one of these for sure. :goo: another option could be having the Peak and Trough here paired with other useful stuff here in a 4x4 panel. But like this is also lots of fun and i believe that´s why the the second cv input in one of the PCOs

johannes
Common Wiggler

Post by johannes » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:42 pm

sounds great. can we hear something? :party:

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:22 am

Also, I’m really happy to see pulse outputs on this. Are they properly squared up and can trigger other modules, like slope generators, without the need for an additional comparator?

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:28 pm

johannes wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:42 pm
Yes i did some recordings in sync with some dodgy iphone videos.

the videos are here in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=225913

Vast_Halo
Common Wiggler

Post by Vast_Halo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:15 pm

Fonik, are there any plans to bring Peak and Trough functionality to the Eurorack format?
I really like what I heard in Fat Rocky's DUSG XL demo.

johannes
Common Wiggler

Post by johannes » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:15 am

FatRocky wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:28 pm
johannes wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:42 pm
Yes i did some recordings in sync with some dodgy iphone videos.

the videos are here in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=225913
oh, i missed that. indeed very nice soundings stuff!

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:22 pm

are we expecting 4u DIY? :hmm:

Gandalf
Common Wiggler

Post by Gandalf » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:43 am

Vast_Halo wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:15 pm
Fonik, are there any plans to bring Peak and Trough functionality to the Eurorack format?
I really like what I heard in Fat Rocky's DUSG XL demo.
Check the EuroSerge ES84

Vast_Halo
Common Wiggler

Post by Vast_Halo » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:48 pm

Thanks for the tip, Gandalf!

hox3d
Common Wiggler

Post by hox3d » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:02 pm

A pic on the thing is on their Facebook page ;)
Matte-fueled habits

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”