Newbie question about Buchla power

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Newbie question about Buchla power

Post by Tajnost » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi,

I'm in trouble with making an "easel" out of what I've got here... So I've got 218 in a LEM slim boat with a single power socket and 208 in a black 4U Samodular passive boat (now it takes power from another system with a long power cable ). So I want to put them both into a diy case which I also have, and wonder if it is possible to take power for 208 from LEM boat with having 218 also powered at the same time. Maybe it is possible with a kind of a Buchla power splitter if something like this exists? It would be a perfect solution 4 me...

If not, what is the cheapest and easiest way to get power pack for my passive boat? Of course, I've written to Samodular, but no reply for weeks, so I've started to look for other options... Maybe he's still thinking : ) Another problem with this boat is since this 208 is very deep, there's not so much space left inside, so it should be super compact and shallow power board...

Thanks in advance for any tips and ideas! :help: :hail: :zombie:

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Re: Newbie question about Buchla power

Post by Tajnost » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:21 am

Ok, to make things a bit easier, I rephrase my questions:

- Is the LEM 218 PSU would be able to power a 218 and 208 together?
- Seems the 218 doesn't need +12V as the 208 probably. So this rail may not be present in the LEM boat. If so, a 7812 +12V regulator with the capacitors should be installed to the mini distro board to make +12V from the +15V rail. Is that correct?

:hide: :eyes:

lumin
Common Wiggler

Post by lumin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:43 am

There is no "splitter" for a buchla power supply. There is a passive distribution board. There are a few people who sell them here (papz I believe still has some). I do not know the power rating on the 218 LEM PSU, but I would be surprised if it could power the 208.
Or you can do it right and buy/build a 211 PSU. Not very expensive and will do the job properly.

ArguZ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ArguZ » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:22 am

Actually the 218 LEM case PSU is special...
I could not power a few of our modules but the 200e ones worked.
You might be right about the 12V rail, best thing is to measure with a DMM.
I would go with a 211 to be on the safe side.

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Post by Tajnost » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:05 pm

Thanks for tips! :sb:

Yeah, since it's safer with 211, I would go for it, but there's another limitation I need to take into account - I have 208e which is quite deep, but the boat and the case are not : ) so there's only a little space left for the power board inside the boat, 6cm x 15cm.

Is it still enough space for the 211 inside? I've searched, but haven't found exact 211 board size online, it looks like it will fit, but...

Maybe there's a smaller alternative (with just one rail for 208)? Also, I'm not so good with electronics, maybe there's someone around who can sell/build the board (preferably, set with pre-soldered jacks, ground... ). Again, I've searched around, found a few builders and the's one online for 100$ on reverb... but I would appreciate advice on a reliable builder/seller.

lumin
Common Wiggler

Post by lumin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:44 pm

This might be small enough to fit in a shallow case.
http://www.portabellabz.be/distro.html
Papz may build it for you for a fee.

If you want to save money, DIY is the way to go, especially in Buchla world. This format is not cheap. You may want to get your electronic knowledge up even just a little bit. Lots to read by some super smart folks on this forum. I am nowhere near being an EE, so had to research just to get basic knowledge. Much of what I have learned on here (and google searches) has helped me do some easel mods, build my own 211, and various other easier tasks.
Good luck

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Post by Tajnost » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:36 pm

lumin wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:44 pm
This might be small enough to fit in a shallow case.
http://www.portabellabz.be/distro.html
Papz may build it for you for a fee.

If you want to save money, DIY is the way to go, especially in Buchla world. This format is not cheap. You may want to get your electronic knowledge up even just a little bit. Lots to read by some super smart folks on this forum. I am nowhere near being an EE, so had to research just to get basic knowledge. Much of what I have learned on here (and google searches) has helped me do some easel mods, build my own 211, and various other easier tasks.
Good luck
Thanks, yes probably Papz is the way, we already in contact... Thanks!

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Post by Tajnost » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:14 am

After installing a passive power distribution board made by Auxren into my custom case and try to power 208e and 218e both from one LEM218 PSU, I've got an issue: both modules turn on, but the OSC tuning on 208 isn't correct anymore and 218 acts weird and freezes after dozens of minutes. My idea is that LEM218 PSU is not enough to power both modules, unfortunately (despite all, incl. Buchla support told me that it can power both modules ).

Of course, after it failed this way, I've tried to connect them again to different PSUs and they work as good as before, exactly as they should.

So wondering what to do now! I still need to power both modules of my Easel with one PSU. My passive distribution board by Auxren theoretically could be upgraded to active, but not sure if it's a good idea and if it won't be the same as with LEM218. Another option is to get pre-build 211 from Samodular, and install it into the case, but it will take time and costs about a hundred euros.

Looking for the best, solid solution. Thanks in advance for your help!

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:53 am

Not knowing Buchla supplies in any detail, but believing they are DCDC based, right?
So you need to know:
i) the module current draw
ii) what the DCDC is capable of supplying & ensuring it has the capacity to power your modules
iii) what power (amp) external DC supply the DCDC needs to generate its full capacity.

jimfowler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimfowler » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:13 am

“Looking for the best, solid solution.“

I would (and always do) recommend a linear psu. All my power supply issues were addressed by ditching the computer power supply.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”