Serge solo piece with patch notes

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Serge solo piece with patch notes

Post by beatcleaver » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:24 pm

This is a solo piece performed on a small serge system. I've described the patch as best as I can remember.

I'd wanted to make another piece just with the Serge for a while and since I'd just finished a sequencer heavy track this seemed like a good time for a break from all that.

The main idea with this one was to try to record a piece of Serge music/sound/whatever that was focused around some of the sounds that I like the best from the Serge. I really just wanted to make something to listen to that had two sounds especially - beating oscillators that just move against each other beautifully and sounds where there is an audible pitch that slows down and down into individual beats or ticks.

For the beating oscs, I only have one NTO so I used my one filter self oscillating. It's the extended range vcf, it oscillates the normal serge way, feeding back one of the outputs (I always forget which, I don't do it often). These two are mixed and put through a Res EQ to shape it a little.

For the pitching down type of sound I took a USG at audio rate, the output of that into the trigger of another USG (two halves of a Dual Universal Slope Generator really). It is this second USG that we hear. That second USG has its fall rate CV'ed by an envelope from a third USG. That envelope descending is what is slowing down the sound that we hear. As the pitch of the second USG descends, it picks out the harmonics of the first USG that is triggering it. The USG that we hear is also going through a triple waveshaper which is being FM'ed by the one remaining USG running at audio rate and the NTO that is playing the other part.

That third USG envelope is acting as a sort of clock as its end output is driving the clock input on a step sequencer. Some of the gates from that sequencer are attenuated to provide pitch information (notes) for the beating oscillators - the v/oct inputs of the NTO and self oscillating VCF. There are also two pitches fed into the first USG described above.

The variety and different sections of the track are just manual manipulations of the speed of the clock USG and the manually changing the fall rate of the second (audible) USG. I also plugged some of the gates in and out at different points so that it wasn't always the same sequence of pitches. Changing the mix of outputs and the waveshaper controls ekes out a little more variety too.

There's likely more FM'ing and patching going on that I've forgotten. Once I've used up most of the modules I can't help poking around to see what happens FM'ing whatever inputs are left unused.

There's some FX used - a Marshall pre-amp for a little grit and a Lexicon reverb. Though the Marshall definitely adds its colour, it's less than you might think. Putting signals through the triple waveshaper while fm'ing more than one of the inputs gets gritty pretty quickly, the Marshall just adds some snarl around the edges.

(*) I should explain... the title is a bit misleading. I didn't play this live in a meadow, I played this live in my studio at home.

The night after I put most of this together I had a dream where I played this on a small stage in a big green meadow at my friend Paddy's farm. Thing is. I don't have a friend called Paddy, who certainly doesn't have a farm with a large meadow. So when I played and recorded this in my room at home I had that image in my mind. It was one of the most vivid dreams I'd had in ages.

Thanks for listening.
Last edited by beatcleaver on Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Serge solo piece

Post by GrantB » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:34 pm

Great patch! Give my best to Paddy.

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:09 pm

Ditto! Some fantastic textures in there. I just wish it was longer - I had to listen to it four times in a row. :sb:

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:34 am

cheers :tu:

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:58 pm

Awesome track. Very cool. :tu:

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:56 pm

Lovely sound transformations :yay:
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

phisynth
banana nabab

Post by phisynth » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:25 pm

Fantastic sounds in there, pure serge indeed

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:49 pm

Fantastic work, love the title as well!

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:24 pm

wow, great patch (and nice written description)!

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."

YE'OLDE BOY
Common Wiggler

Post by YE'OLDE BOY » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:37 pm

yeah I loved the sounds in this great work.
It felt very complete with the silence framing the sound, no need for a four to the floor here, just lovely.
:sb:

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:00 pm

I'm lovin' this one! :love:
its like saying you experience michaelangelo because there is a picture on your happy meal
--shreddoggie
Last time I checked there was nothing Vanilla about old Chi- Acid....that shit's Chocolate as it gets.
--Kendall Station

mirf59
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mirf59 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:13 pm

Pretty yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Echohead
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Echohead » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 am

Wonderful sounds and descriptions. Thank you!

johannes
Common Wiggler

Post by johannes » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:03 pm

great piece. thanks for sharing

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”