Anyone Using a CL Rolzer with Serge/LW/Bugbrand?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

hollunderkurve
Learning to Wiggle

Anyone Using a CL Rolzer with Serge/LW/Bugbrand?

Post by hollunderkurve » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:32 pm

Hello fellow wigglers, I was just reading up more and more on the CL Rolzer and have been wondering about how, or if any of you out there might use the Rolz with either Bugbrand or Serge/LW. I did find one video showing someone using a Rolz to trigger a chirper and DRM, but other than that not much...

I have a Bugbrand set up that I love, will soon have a LW serge-style panel (thank you Charlie!), and was just thinking about how all the ways in which something like the Rolz could act as a very odd, non- traditional "sequencer/controller" for either of those systems... or as a potential way in which they could be brought to "talk" to one another (of course they don't need the mediation of a third party... they have so much to say to one another on their own :hihi: ) I assume it should not be a technical voltage problem (given what I have read about the Rolz on the CL website), but was just more interested in people's experiences with those devices.

Thanks!

architexture
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Anyone Using a CL Rolzer with Serge/LW/Bugbrand?

Post by architexture » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:32 pm

The browns on the rolzer output a -10v spike. As long as your equipment is setup to handle that it's OK.

Really though, most synths use a +10v spike as a pulse. So the brown outs on a rolzer won't likely trigger something external. The browns also act as inputs, but whatever output you are sending from will also receive a -10v spike when the rolzer triggers. It could potentially fry the gear you are attempting to send a trigger from.

My advice is to get an oscilloscope and check what is being sent back and forth.

Also, be sure to use shared grounds and read the spec for your other banana gear.

hollunderkurve
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hollunderkurve » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:59 pm

architexture - thanks for the advice, especially about the -10V pulse... it must not be a problem for Bugbrand gear (if done right) since I have found these two pictures (one is a video on instagram, but I don't have instagram...) where a synthvoice and some Reds are working with it - perhaps these people are around here somewhere..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:05 pm

Hopefully your Serge panel will have a CGS381 Dual Processor on it. Turn that brown upside down, and mix multiple rolls.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:18 am

There won't be any danger from the amplitude of voltages coming from external devices to the bug and they should work (as in function as expected) just fine.

The worry would more be whether amplitudes of typically 10V Peak-to-Peak (+/-5V or 0 to +10V) would be fine for the CL stuff - what are the power supply rails for such things? I thought some were lower voltages - eg. power rails of 0V to +9V (centred around +4.5V).

You can always attenuate, etc, but I would be wary of any situation where some careless connection caused an issue - you want to be able to patch without worry and I'm not yet sure enough about CL voltage ranges to be able to say either way with certainty.

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:48 am

I have sent bugbrand 10v Peak to peak signals to CL many times and its always been fine (only as far as +/- 5v though never - 10v). Just my experience.... Don't take that as an endorsement from either manufacturer as it being OK.
Did it regularly with my tetrax and continue to now with my meng qi sidraw which contains sidrassi pcbs.

My experience with the floating +4.5v and the oscillators and gesture outputs from those instruments is that it required a significant attenuation or offset to be able trigger things on the Bug in much of a meaningful way. If you're using them as modulation sources though it's fine.
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

hollunderkurve
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hollunderkurve » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:44 am

GrantB wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:05 pm
Hopefully your Serge panel will have a CGS381 Dual Processor on it. Turn that brown upside down, and mix multiple rolls.
it will not in fact, but will have 2x DTG, 1xSSG, a Stroh's Flexwave Osc, Dual VCA, VCFQ, Stereo Mixer, +1 tiny little WM.... (Very excited about this!). That should also provide some options too i believe without getting into too many problems with voltage? I will need to chat with Charlie. I will also soon be the proud owner of one of Tom's Matrix mixers which might also add another way/more options.

Everyone else - thanks for the info about Bug-CL experiences and voltage issues. Sounds like there still might be some potential problem spots- need to get more details. If I was to get a Rolz the situation would then not be sending Bug Voltage to the CL, but the other way around, which does not sound like it could pose as many problems...
Last edited by hollunderkurve on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

hollunderkurve
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hollunderkurve » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:49 am

architexture wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:32 pm
My advice is to get an oscilloscope and check what is being sent back and forth.
also, yes. you are right. will get on it at some point. any suggestions on moderately sized/priced option(s)?

architexture
Learning to Wiggle

Post by architexture » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:43 pm

Something like this is nice
amazon . com/gp/product/B01J16NV54

Good oscilloscopes have come down significantly in price. They can also help you better understand your CL gear and how it would interact with other gear, AND if you need to fix or build anything it's super handy :D

Cheers

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”