Buchla System purchase 2020?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Buchla System purchase 2020?

Post by Tonefloat01 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:11 am

REcDeso12oi wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Yup. Sounds and works exactly like a Buchla.. GREAT SUGGESTION

This.. exactly this!
Laughed my ass off watching this :hihi:
Totally the experience that I’m looking for in a Buchla system :sarcasm:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:49 pm

While I really don't like having blank panels in my case, I second the suggestion of starting small and growing from there. Get a 12wls case with these modules:

- 261e
- 281e
- 292e
- 266e

That's phase 1. It's ok to not have presets at the beginning. Just explore those modules as much as you can. Really grok how the 281e and 266e works. Then move on to phase 2:

- 225e
- 259e (or DPO/258e)
- 251e

Now you have two sound sources and (my favorite) sequencer, plus preset management, which is essential for the 251e. You can also clock the 251e with MIDI. Really dive into that 251e. Read all the posts here. Todd Barton (I think) created a great PDF with a summary of the posts. With those seven modules, you have a pretty amazing system already. Now it's phase 3:

- 291e
- 256e (or 257e)

Now you're getting into some pretty exciting modulation. The 291e merits focused exploration on its own. The 256e/257e is your avenue to shaping all the crazy CV you can get from the 266e, 251e, and 281e. With those 9 modules, you have a pretty substantial system (and investment). Now you have 3 module spaces left for phase 4. I would suggest:

- 227e
- 223e

Now you have incredible CV generation and modulation, exciting sound sources and modulation, and rich CV control of sound positioning.

Just my 2v for your consideration.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:16 pm

mutierend wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:49 pm
While I really don't like having blank panels in my case, I second the suggestion of starting small and growing from there. Get a 12wls case with these modules:

- 261e
- 281e
- 292e
- 266e

That's phase 1. It's ok to not have presets at the beginning. Just explore those modules as much as you can. Really grok how the 281e and 266e works.

You’re probably right..
As much as I’d like to start out with “everything” I should learn from my Eurorack experiences and start much, much smaller this time.
Thank you so much for being the voice of reason for you have made my wife undoubtedly very, very happy! :guinness:

Mike

fredguy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fredguy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:31 pm

mutierend wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:49 pm

- 261e
- 281e
- 292e
- 266e

That's phase 1. It's ok to not have presets at the beginning. Just explore those modules as much as you can. Really grok how the 281e and 266e works. Then move on to phase 2:

- 225e
- 259e (or DPO/258e)
- 251e

Now you have two sound sources and (my favorite) sequencer, plus preset management, which is essential for the 251e. You can also clock the 251e with MIDI. Really dive into that 251e. Read all the posts here. Todd Barton (I think) created a great PDF with a summary of the posts. With those seven modules, you have a pretty amazing system already. Now it's phase 3:

- 291e
- 256e (or 257e)

Now you're getting into some pretty exciting modulation. The 291e merits focused exploration on its own. The 256e/257e is your avenue to shaping all the crazy CV you can get from the 266e, 251e, and 281e. With those 9 modules, you have a pretty substantial system (and investment). Now you have 3 module spaces left for phase 4. I would suggest:

- 227e
- 223e

Now you have incredible CV generation and modulation, exciting sound sources and modulation, and rich CV control of sound positioning.

I was in a similar boat, pun intended, but went with a skylab case. The only thing I'd do differently from mutierend's suggestions would be to replace the 225e with a 206e for preset management and output mixing. You could leave out the 227e and have 2 spaces for expansion. Of course you could just get a 18wls case. :hihi:
"I drink gin, and once, when drinking gin, I made a large man cry." Bill Murray

rolsteins
Common Wiggler

Post by rolsteins » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:38 am

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:11 am
REcDeso12oi wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Yup. Sounds and works exactly like a Buchla.. GREAT SUGGESTION

This.. exactly this!
Laughed my ass off watching this :hihi:
Totally the experience that I’m looking for in a Buchla system :sarcasm:
If you are into patching and looking for digital system (Buchla 200 is digital, isn't?) secondhand G1 (almost unlimited number of available (and finished) modules and very musical sounding DAC, hundreds of presets you can save and recall for live performance instantly) will cost you 500-700 EUR max. With G1 you can patch "regular" synths sounds, you can patch "all"coast type of sounds, you can process external input, you can create whatever music you like.
https://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmo ... k_toc.html

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Hey Buchla People,

As you may know I’m seriously considering purchasing a system but I have a few more questions for you if you don’t mind answering for me.

1. Is it normal to wait almost two months to get a new Skylab sized system?
2. Why is there such limited stock (if any...) of new Buchla format modules available at their authorized dealers?
3. Are Buchla modules built to order or are they waiting for a boat to arrive from China (or wherever..) with new stock?
4. For longtime Buchla heads do you see the pond drying up on support (firmware) on the modules that you currently own?(I ask this based on me looking at the firmware revs of some modules saying 2012 was the last update...)
5. While I’m looking at modules that will make my Buchla system stand alone, ultimately I’d like to use it via my computer and control it from my DAW via expert sleepers and/or Ableton CV Tools or Bitwig. For the people currently using their Buchla systems this way, how much of a PIA is this to accomplish based on your experience?
6. Does it make sense to have multiples of the same Buchla oscillators or does one of each suffice?
7. Is the Lem 218 still available?

Thanks! :guinness:

Mike

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:44 am

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:16 pm
I have a few more questions for you if you don’t mind answering for me.

1. Is it normal to wait almost two months to get a new Skylab sized system?
2. Why is there such limited stock (if any...) of new Buchla format modules available at their authorized dealers?
3. Are Buchla modules built to order or are they waiting for a boat to arrive from China (or wherever..) with new stock?
4. For longtime Buchla heads do you see the pond drying up on support (firmware) on the modules that you currently own?(I ask this based on me looking at the firmware revs of some modules saying 2012 was the last update...)
5. While I’m looking at modules that will make my Buchla system stand alone, ultimately I’d like to use it via my computer and control it from my DAW via expert sleepers and/or Ableton CV Tools or Bitwig. For the people currently using their Buchla systems this way, how much of a PIA is this to accomplish based on your experience?
6. Does it make sense to have multiples of the same Buchla oscillators or does one of each suffice?
7. Is the Lem 218 still available?

Thanks! :guinness:

Mike
These are my opinions.

1. Yes. Buchla is a small company and (I assume) they are focusing on getting the 208C out.
2. See #1. Noisebug usually has a good stock of modules and they are great to work with.
3. I assume they build stock per demand from dealers. The modules are complex and take time to build & test.
4. I really hope so. They did update the app for the USB card, which is great. I would very much like firmware updates to address longstanding bugs.
5. My interface is DC-coupled so I was able to send CV to the Buchla and use a format jumbler to pipe through the CVGT1. MIDI is, of course, the easiest way to do this.
6. That is 100% personal preference, of course. In a small system like a Skylab, I would do two different oscillators, e.g., 261e and DPO, or 261e and 259e.
7. I don't think so. Buchla would know for sure. ;)

We interviewed Eric Fox for Source of Uncertainty episode 4. He provides some details and some hints on some of these questions.

Again, clarifying that these are my opinions/observations and I have no insider information.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:40 pm

mutierend wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:44 am
Tonefloat01 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:16 pm
I have a few more questions for you if you don’t mind answering for me.

Mike
These are my opinions.

1. Yes. Buchla is a small company and (I assume) they are focusing on getting the 208C out.
2. See #1. Noisebug usually has a good stock of modules and they are great to work with.
3. I assume they build stock per demand from dealers. The modules are complex and take time to build & test.
4. I really hope so. They did update the app for the USB card, which is great. I would very much like firmware updates to address longstanding bugs.
5. My interface is DC-coupled so I was able to send CV to the Buchla and use a format jumbler to pipe through the CVGT1. MIDI is, of course, the easiest way to do this.
6. That is 100% personal preference, of course. In a small system like a Skylab, I would do two different oscillators, e.g., 261e and DPO, or 261e and 259e.
7. I don't think so. Buchla would know for sure. ;)

We interviewed Eric Fox for Source of Uncertainty episode 4. He provides some details and some hints on some of these questions.

Again, clarifying that these are my opinions/observations and I have no insider information.
Thank you for the replies to my additional questions regarding a Buchla system, I greatly appreciate it!
I listened to your podcast and it gave me a better perspective of where the company (Eric) is headed since the changeover.
When I heard that the Buchla modules (used to be..?) manufactured in Monterey I wondered where because I grew up close to there...
Anyhoo, I learned a lot and It gave me more perspective that the Buchla world runs a bit different than the Eurorack world in that you can’t just drive to your local modular shop(s) and go home with an armful of Buchla modules on a whim... :cry:

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”