What defines this?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Stides
Wiggling with Experience

What defines this?

Post by Stides » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 pm

So I've been collecting the sputnik euro modules, as well as some serge. Is this subform actually defined by banana jacks?

I ask not to cause a shit storm, but actually I want to better learn my sputnik gear and don't actually feel like the euro forum will have the answers I need.

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Re: What defines this?

Post by syncretism » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:14 pm

It was just a catch-all for (at the time) formats that were tightly coupled with specific manufacturers who, for various reasons, weren’t sufficiently online (or interested) to justify their own su forums. If Grant Richter weren’t engaged with MW early on, Wiard would probably be here, too (but then there are those Frac modules).

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:43 pm

syncretism wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:14 pm
It was just a catch-all for (at the time) formats that were tightly coupled with specific manufacturers who, for various reasons, weren’t sufficiently online (or interested) to justify their own su forums. If Grant Richter weren’t engaged with MW early on, Wiard would probably be here, too (but then there are those Frac modules).
fyi it actually did used to be 'Buchla, EMS, Serge & Wiard' at one time (i seem to recall its tag-line being "the expensive stuff" or something like that). it was at the point when Grant passed the torch to Cary, so to speak, and the Wiard company was relocated to Wessex, UK that the MW Wiard manufacturer subforum was created and this forum became 'Buchla, EMS & Serge'.

cheers
"all the clouds turn to words. all the words float in sequence. no one knows what they mean. everyone just ignores them..."

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:03 am

I view this forum as Bananas and EMS plus we are cool and other odd ball stuff allowed.

I have kind of felt like the Euro Serge is really for the Eurorack sub-forum but there are definitely some great resources for the Euro Serge people over here.

This isn't the West Coast Synthesis sub-forum (which using that term can ruffle feathers sometimes) or else Make Noise, Sputnik, Verbos, Red Panel, etc Eurorack modules would be here. Discussion about those modules happen in the Eurorack sub-forum and therefore I think Euro Serge belongs there mostly.

blw
Common Wiggler

Post by blw » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:51 am

The Euro forum should have the answers you need. Many contribute to all forums, plus Sputnik specific users are really what you are hunting, plus Serge/"west coast"/whatever styles are pretty popular generally in Euro. I wouldn't want to tell someone else what to do, but the easy distinction to me is that posts about Euro modules best fit in the Euro forum. I might try it there and see how it goes, or try a thread here discussing Serge patching concepts in general here if preferred.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:07 pm

What defines here? Not Euro. Not Frac. Not 5U. And possibly adding- not covered in one of the distinct separate manufacturers forum. But on that one there's some crossover.

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:08 pm

numan7 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:43 pm

fyi it actually did used to be 'Buchla, EMS, Serge & Wiard' at one time (i seem to recall its tag-line being "the expensive stuff" or something like that). it was at the point when Grant passed the torch to Cary, so to speak, and the Wiard company was relocated to Wessex, UK that the MW Wiard manufacturer subforum was created and this forum became 'Buchla, EMS & Serge'.

I have a super-faint recollection of that! I must be thinking of GR's forum activity in the Eurorack (or Malekko) subforums.

momo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by momo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:06 am

I’ve always seen this sub-forum as a place that focuses on the exotic, esoteric, boutique (and I suppose therefore the most expensive of what’s on offer). I like it’s slower pace, but miss the increased frequency of posts compared with a decade ago. Many knowledgeable users past and present imparting knowledge here in a respectful way - it’s what drew me to Muffs :love:

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:08 pm

I think it's clearer to post things about Serge circuits here for example since the eurorack form is a lot of people who care about how it works with other euro (ok but mostly irrelevant for my serge in eurorack format). Apart from cycle switches and 3.5mm jacks, the R*S serge modules are the same. At least one person has even built the R*S modules in eurorack format with bananas. :guinness:

If you have SSG tricks to share-- this feels like a good place to me (although there is also the synthesis techniques and if you can make your patch work more generally that is probably even better).

All that said, I hang out in all the forums and I subscribe to topics I care about that are harder to find-- like anything with a lot of serge info that ends up in euro forum for one reason or another.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”