R*S Carnivore + BlueSky reverb only videos

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

R*S Carnivore + BlueSky reverb only videos

Post by FatRocky » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:38 pm

COVID-19 home quarantine allowed me some extra time for wiggling and feel very happy about it. So i thought in challenging myself by jamming with only the Random*Source 4x4 Carnivore and adding reverb. This is extracted from a 1:30 hour jam last night focusing on modulating the SSG Triangle out (Cycling the Smooth side) all within the Carnivore itself, such a cool and self-contained 4x4 panel. Hopefully i´ll be doing more of these and please add yours in this thread as well.

Last edited by FatRocky on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
NightGoat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by NightGoat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Superb! Keep 'em coming, I'm thinking of getting/building one.

levelhead3
Common Wiggler
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:53 pm
Location: Olympia

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by levelhead3 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:46 pm

:hail:

Jd1979
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:57 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by Jd1979 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:52 pm

Wow!!! So how are you getting all of the timbral shifts? I just got a new serge system and am very curious as to how to achieve the self modulation of this sort.

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by FatRocky » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:31 pm

The Carnivore includes 3 modules in a single 4x4 panel: the SSG Smooth and Stepped Generator, the DTG (Slopes) and a Noise section. The SSG Stepped section + Noise, provides the voltages for changing the SSG Smooth Triangle output . Both Slopes provide Clocking and Extra-Modulation.

Jd1979
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:57 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by Jd1979 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:35 pm

FatRocky wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:31 pm
The Carnivore includes 3 modules in a single 4x4 panel: the SSG Smooth and Stepped Generator, the DTG (Slopes) and a Noise section. The SSG Stepped section + Noise, provides the voltages for changing the SSG Smooth Triangle output . Both Slopes provide Clocking and Extra-Modulation.

Wonderful!! Thank you for sharing. I will have to experiment with this. I love the sounds btw! Super cool.

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by FatRocky » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:23 pm

Jd1979 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:35 pm
FatRocky wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:31 pm
The Carnivore includes 3 modules in a single 4x4 panel: the SSG Smooth and Stepped Generator, the DTG (Slopes) and a Noise section. The SSG Stepped section + Noise, provides the voltages for changing the SSG Smooth Triangle output . Both Slopes provide Clocking and Extra-Modulation.

Wonderful!! Thank you for sharing. I will have to experiment with this. I love the sounds btw! Super cool.

Share your Serge explorations as well! Thanks for the comments :tu:

User avatar
Claude
Common Wiggler
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:31 am
Location: NNY
Contact:

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by Claude » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:57 pm

This is very welcome, as there are were virtually no demos of solely the Carnivore module previously. Please post more, everyone!

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by FatRocky » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:46 am

Here´s another Carnivore video from last night jam:


Jd1979
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:57 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by Jd1979 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:53 am

Claude wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:57 pm
This is very welcome, as there are were virtually no demos of solely the Carnivore module previously. Please post more, everyone!
Thank you for sharing!! Question: in the second track, what are you using to get that tabla ish string tone? Basically the sound that starts the track.

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by FatRocky » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:46 am

Claude wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:57 pm
This is very welcome, as there are were virtually no demos of solely the Carnivore module previously. Please post more, everyone!
Wow i din´t see these tracks at first.

They are indeed fantastic!, both .
:yay:

User avatar
Claude
Common Wiggler
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:31 am
Location: NNY
Contact:

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by Claude » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:02 pm

Jd1979 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:53 am
Claude wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:57 pm
This is very welcome, as there are were virtually no demos of solely the Carnivore module previously. Please post more, everyone!
Thank you for sharing!! Question: in the second track, what are you using to get that tabla ish string tone? Basically the sound that starts the track.
Oh dear, I hope I haven't confused things and I hope I'm not misreading. I apologize if I implied that the links in my signature, which seem to have embedded themselves as players, were from the Carnivore, which they aren't. That said and to answer your question as I understand it, the tabla-type sounds in the Figure From Ground track are from the Mutable Instruments Elements module processing some noisy business from Mutable Instruments Braids.

Pulling the thread back on topic, I confess that having gotten the R*S euro VCM and VCFQ together and in my rack, with a ResEQ waiting for me to source parts and build, I'm still very curious about 4U. As a mostly complete voice Carnivore is super-interesting. Would love even more solo Carnivore videos, even without reverb. These are very entertaining at least to me!

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by FatRocky » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:26 pm

Claude wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:02 pm
Jd1979 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:53 am
Claude wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:57 pm
This is very welcome, as there are were virtually no demos of solely the Carnivore module previously. Please post more, everyone!
Thank you for sharing!! Question: in the second track, what are you using to get that tabla ish string tone? Basically the sound that starts the track.
Oh dear, I hope I haven't confused things and I hope I'm not misreading. I apologize if I implied that the links in my signature, which seem to have embedded themselves as players, were from the Carnivore, which they aren't. That said and to answer your question as I understand it, the tabla-type sounds in the Figure From Ground track are from the Mutable Instruments Elements module processing some noisy business from Mutable Instruments Braids.

Pulling the thread back on topic, I confess that having gotten the R*S euro VCM and VCFQ together and in my rack, with a ResEQ waiting for me to source parts and build, I'm still very curious about 4U. As a mostly complete voice Carnivore is super-interesting. Would love even more solo Carnivore videos, even without reverb. These are very entertaining at least to me!
No worries i just didn´t noticed your tracks in your signature, i did when i saw the commentary after yours. They are great ! and of course i can hear that they are not made just with a Carnivore :lol: . I can olny tell you that the Mantra Panel includes the Carnivore and my other favorite instrument like module: the DUSG XL. I would go and build that entire panel at once , instead of getting module by module,, from there you can expand with 4x4 .

User avatar
Claude
Common Wiggler
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:31 am
Location: NNY
Contact:

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by Claude » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words! I hear you about the Mantra panel, solid advice for sure. Alas, particularly in the midst of a pandemic, I don't anticipate purchasing an entire panel kit anytime soon, hence my interest in individual 4x4 modules. I have definitely entertained various notions involving format jumblers and a micro-skiff of one or two 4x4 modules as part of my travel rig. I am certainly at least months away from such a plunge, but certainly enjoy doing my "due diligence" in researching such things!

As with euro, it's exciting to have modules that can stand alone somewhat, keeping us entertained and teaching us while we grow our systems. At least that's my patient take on it, others might be driven mad by waiting!

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by FatRocky » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:40 pm

Yours, its also a wise advice. Everyone learns at their own pace. And Directions.
I wouldn´t do this videos without reverb , i did the DUSG XL Peak & Trough with no fx.
I do this for fun

User avatar
Claude
Common Wiggler
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:31 am
Location: NNY
Contact:

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by Claude » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:56 pm

I just got smart and subscribed to your YouTube channel which revealed your DUSG XL videos!!! Thank you for making these!
And yes, keeping having fun- huzzah! :nana: :nana:

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by FatRocky » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:29 am

The third (tonight ) Jam chopped in 11 mins and one xtra take. This is with the SOLPE PULSE OUT and the SSG Filter






:tu: :tu: :tu:

User avatar
NightGoat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by NightGoat » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:42 am

FatRocky wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:26 pm
Claude wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:02 pm
Jd1979 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:53 am
Claude wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:57 pm
This is very welcome, as there are were virtually no demos of solely the Carnivore module previously. Please post more, everyone!
Thank you for sharing!! Question: in the second track, what are you using to get that tabla ish string tone? Basically the sound that starts the track.
Oh dear, I hope I haven't confused things and I hope I'm not misreading. I apologize if I implied that the links in my signature, which seem to have embedded themselves as players, were from the Carnivore, which they aren't. That said and to answer your question as I understand it, the tabla-type sounds in the Figure From Ground track are from the Mutable Instruments Elements module processing some noisy business from Mutable Instruments Braids.

Pulling the thread back on topic, I confess that having gotten the R*S euro VCM and VCFQ together and in my rack, with a ResEQ waiting for me to source parts and build, I'm still very curious about 4U. As a mostly complete voice Carnivore is super-interesting. Would love even more solo Carnivore videos, even without reverb. These are very entertaining at least to me!
No worries i just didn´t noticed your tracks in your signature, i did when i saw the commentary after yours. They are great ! and of course i can hear that they are not made just with a Carnivore :lol: . I can olny tell you that the Mantra Panel includes the Carnivore and my other favorite instrument like module: the DUSG XL. I would go and build that entire panel at once , instead of getting module by module,, from there you can expand with 4x4 .
The Carnivore can be built from individual CGS pcb's too SSG, DTG and noise. That' plan. With 2 separate panels from LW. I think it's still only 4 ' wide.

User avatar
Claude
Common Wiggler
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:31 am
Location: NNY
Contact:

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by Claude » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:32 pm

Look what I just found on the YouTube:

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by FatRocky » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:51 pm

Thanks for posting it

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by FatRocky » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:20 pm

Claude wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:32 pm
Look what I just found on the YouTube:
The "risky" type of passive mixing i´m mentioning in this video is by stacking different OUTPUTS together using the bananas before inserting in into an INPUT. Many experts and readings say you should´t do that. That´s why i say that you can do it at your own risk and i´m not responsible if you damage your modules. In my case i can certify my modules are not getting damaged as i do that since i got them about 2 years ago and they still work as i received them. Maybe there are some specific builds that are more tolerant than others. My DUSG XL and CArnivore do it well, My LW DUSG Cycle in as well. Of course I´m not expecting for something too musical or predictable. They don´t mix really, they merge voltages in a wild way i can´t explain and every input reacts differently. You can see that in most of my Serge videos. They sort of saturate creating all sort of pitches.
When i do the same with pulses from my Serge gate Sequencer or TKB it´s the same , it´s not predictable like using a Logic module. :bananallama:

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by FatRocky » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 am

two more videos here, with the Corona Chicken Patch i did last night:



Last edited by FatRocky on Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by FatRocky » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:27 am

And the last two (for now) dedicated to the great Slew function (with some no typical portamentos) Voltages quantized externally.




User avatar
Claude
Common Wiggler
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:31 am
Location: NNY
Contact:

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by Claude » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks for this lovely series of videos!

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Only R*S Carnivore + reverb VIDEOS

Post by FatRocky » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:37 am

:wink:

Post Reply

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”