Pin Hornet vs. Portabella

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, lisa, luketeaford, Joe.

wsequeira
Polyphonic Wiggler

Re: Pin Hornet vs. Portabella

Post by wsequeira » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:38 pm

You are welcome!
Live in the heart, it's timeless.

synthichap
Learning to Wiggle

Post by synthichap » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:30 pm

:ripbanana:
Last edited by synthichap on Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

REcDeso12oi
Common Wiggler

Post by REcDeso12oi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:56 am

like i said, it's all digital. Just a little chip in there. Just like the moog modular reissues.
---------------

http://chasedeso.com

construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:46 am

:oops:

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:47 am

:doh: :cry:

warnton
Wiggling with Experience

Post by warnton » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:21 am

shot twice, called Sandro for a new one
portabellaschuss2.jpg

construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:15 am

:popcorn:

wsequeira
Polyphonic Wiggler

Post by wsequeira » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:53 am

Rough crowd??!? :eek:
Live in the heart, it's timeless.

SmartBits
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SmartBits » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:45 am

A few days ago me and a fellow Portabella owner put our machines together for a comparison. Not too many differences, especially soundwise it seemed more or less the same, but there are a few little ones.
There's a different behaviour of the random voltage generator (much faster rate on v2019). The toggle switch for the RVG to envelope now has "off" printed on the panel instead of to output. The behaviour there is also different. On the 2019 it's an "or" switch, routing the RVG trigger to either output or envelop. In the 2020 it's always present at the output and the switch only affects the envelope. The reverb mix knob responds different, though still a bit odd. And the trigger button is red on the v2020, aluminum on the v2019.

Duckbutt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Duckbutt » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:09 pm

For the current Portabella owners - what did you buy as far as additional pins (either of the standard resistance or the other two available)? My initial thought was to have the 16 standard and maybe 3 - 4 each of the other two. Seems almost a waste to spend this much and not max out the pins. But then again, the price from Pin is something like 15 USD for each additional pin - YIKES! And someone mentioned earlier that the other resistances might not be all that useful. Any thoughts?

Someone mentioned getting pins directly from the matrix manufacturer. Is that an option? If so, what does it cost going direct like that?

Also - what are all the options for pin colors? So far I think I've seen white, yellow, red, green, and black. According to Pin there are just the three resistances available. So are people just mixing up the colors for whatever they like? Or is there a pattern? I know atleast the red pins posted earlier were said to just be for personal preference.

Lastly (I think) - has anyone tried painting or putting colored inserts onto the knobs? I was thinking this would be nice to try on an extra set of knobs, assuming they can be had for a reasonable price.

jjsynth
Common Wiggler

Post by jjsynth » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:32 am

I got some extra pins directly from Ghielmetti. They were about 10USD a piece.

momo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by momo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:05 pm

If PIN is charging USD $15 for pins, he is not marking them up much, if at all. Ordering from Ghielmetti is quite the PITA, and their prices are steep. Also, for EU folk, they are in Switzerland, so ther are import duty and taxes ato pay too. However if that's a bitter pill, on the upside, the pins are totally gorgeous, gold plated and machined - far, far more robust that Seelectro ones. Swiss engineering - what else would we expect?

Duckbutt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Duckbutt » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:54 pm

momo wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:05 pm
If PIN is charging USD $15 for pins, he is not marking them up much, if at all. Ordering from Ghielmetti is quite the PITA, and their prices are steep. Also, for EU folk, they are in Switzerland, so ther are import duty and taxes ato pay too. However if that's a bitter pill, on the upside, the pins are totally gorgeous, gold plated and machined - far, far more robust that Seelectro ones. Swiss engineering - what else would we expect?
Cool, that is all good to know. I didn't realize the pins were going to be that much. It is peanuts compared to the cost of the Portabella anyway, so not that big a deal.

Speaking of, back to the other question - what does everyone feel is a good minimum number of pins to have (assuming you don't want to risk running out)? And how about the makeup of the different resistances? My current thought is to get 8 more standard (24 total), 4 of the next resistance, and 4 of the last resistance. If that is nuts or anyone has suggestions based on real world usage, I'd love to hear it.

Lauflicht
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lauflicht » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:07 pm

I had some correspondence with Sandro in 2018 and he recommended me to only get the 68K as additional resistor value. So I ordered additional 16 pcs. 2k7 in white and 4 pcs. 68K in green (because I like that colour). I ordered directly from Ghielmetti, which as Sandro had pointed out will be cheaper. BTW, these are made to order in any quantity, in any resistance and colour is the information I got from them. Took a few weeks. Pricing as above, which I do not think is expensive for a custom order.

PS: I got them all in 1% accuracy - no additional cost. No need to get less accurate resistors as in the past with worse accuracy in order to save money (I believe on the orig the 1% pins were green).
Love is the message.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”