A "new" Buchla 265 (functional) clone!

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: A "new" Buchla 265 (functional) clone!

Post by tobb » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Great work!

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: A "new" Buchla 265!

Post by tobb » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:18 pm

KSS wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:38 am

My comment stems from a phone call i made to Don to ask about re-making one if his older modules. True to form, his first reply was "Why would you want to do that?" The ensuing conversation made clear he was about doing something new vs re-doing something old. We talked awhile, during which he said it was okay to use the old circuit design -again saying but why would you?- but *not* to use the panel design. His emphasis on *not* -and the rest of the conversation- made clear what I wrote already.
He told the same story to each one asking permission... ,nothing new.

Some got exclusive permission to use a particular panel design for limited purpose..,some other where asked not to do a particular module using and panel but his request was ignored.

Imo he was just pissed a bit ppl cloning his stuff but could not prevent it.

The rest is history..

finlayshakespeare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by finlayshakespeare » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:56 am

Hahah thank you to everyone for your input! I don't want to start any arguments, and I can see everyone's perspectives, honestly.

I realise that this whole thing could be taken as somewhat heretical - it's taking something that Don designed and changing it by a fair amount, but still keeping it within the framework of what he was doing - and it's also rather selfish on my part because this is what I want the module to do :lol: But as others have eluded to here, I decided to open the project up to the wider crowd in case anyone else wanted a go at this but didn't necessarily need or want a 266. Or they wanted MORE on top of their 266. Who knows.

Again, this is likely to be the only thing I ever do in Buchla format. I'll have to end up with a third row before I look at doing anything extra, and I really want to keep my system at two rows for now.

tommy.york
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommy.york » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:39 pm

edit: nm for now!
Music @ Soundcloud, streaming DIY builds + live music @ twitch and YouTube.

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:01 pm

finlayshakespeare wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:56 am
Or they wanted MORE on top of their 266. Who knows.
:whistle:

finlayshakespeare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by finlayshakespeare » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:50 am

levelhead3 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:01 pm
finlayshakespeare wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:56 am
Or they wanted MORE on top of their 266. Who knows.
:whistle:
Noise go PSSSSSSHHHHHHHHT

finlayshakespeare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by finlayshakespeare » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:16 am

Just a small update on this! I'm almost at the end of quarantine having returned from France after playing a couple of shows, so on Saturday I'm returning to the workshop to build up one of the rev2 PCBs, simply to ensure that everything is good with them. Once that's done, any pre-orders will shipping out next week.

Also, do we have a Mr. Rodman here? I've emailed him about his order but haven't heard anything back...

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Post by Brian2020 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:33 am

finlayshakespeare wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:16 am
Just a small update on this! I'm almost at the end of quarantine having returned from France after playing a couple of shows, so on Saturday I'm returning to the workshop to build up one of the rev2 PCBs, simply to ensure that everything is good with them. Once that's done, any pre-orders will shipping out next week.

Also, do we have a Mr. Rodman here? I've emailed him about his order but haven't heard anything back...
Hey Finlay,

Thanks for reaching out here as I didn’t see your email (I’ll check to see if it might have ended up in the spam folder).

finlayshakespeare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by finlayshakespeare » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:00 am

Preliminary BoM is up here! I might well make some changes to this tomorrow, so please don't order all the Rs and Cs just yet, but this should give a decent feel of the build difficulty and price. :tu:

finlayshakespeare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by finlayshakespeare » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:19 am

Woohoo! Rev2 boards work, so those who placed pre-orders will be having theirs dispatched imminently. Here's a photo of the new board, (almost) stuffed. Note that I'm yet to add the second NSL32s on the dual vactrols, and also that R31 + R131 are do not fit (optional 1M resistor... best not to fit in my experience as it can cause instability on the stored voltage section)
Attachments
buchla265rev2pcb.jpg

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”