How much should I pay for an Easel?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Everett Caro
Learning to Wiggle

How much should I pay for an Easel?

Post by Everett Caro » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:04 pm

I've been thinking about all the different fields to get into with synthesis, and honestly I could go any way, Buchla/West Coast, Eurorack, 5U, and I've been particularly interested in Buchla with my manual readings recently. I'd like the control of the keyboard that the Music Easel has, but the Command would be a much easier thing to transport and is cheaper. So if I were to purchase a Easel, how much would be a good price? Where can I find a good one? Is a there a good substitute for the keyboard if I were to purchase the Command?
I like noise :razz:

triplizard
Common Wiggler

Re: How much should I pay for an Easel?

Post by triplizard » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:20 pm

The current prices for Easels seem to be kinda ridiculous - searching sold listings on Reverb they go from $4,500 to $10K. I have no insider info but it seems like Buchla is going to re-introduce an updated version of the Easel at some point, possibly soon. So if it were me I wouldn't pay anything more than the what Easels were priced at new - at least until you find out what Buchla is up to. The Easel command includes CV/Gate interface and I believe more fully featured MIDI integration than the Music Easel and is significantly cheaper so that's not a bad option IMO - I have a BEMI Easel but if I were buying one right now I'd go with the Command and the Sensel Morph, which seems to be a popular combo. Not a "keyboard" per se, but I almost never play my 218 like an actual keyboard so the Morph would do most of what I want to do. And who knows, Buchla may end up selling the 218 separately at some point too - again I'm guessing, but based on the various configurations of the Command available, if they re-introduce the Music Easel that seems plausible - so you could possibly add that on later. Also, there are some DIY/3rd Party variants on the 218 - others would know more about that but I've seen postings of people working on them.

triplizard
Common Wiggler

Post by triplizard » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:38 pm

And BTW I should mention there are a lot of other small updates/upgrades to the Easel Command - they've essentially taken most of the functionality of the AUX card (minus the digital oscillator) and moved them to the front panel, added dedicated audio outs for both oscillators and some other things, all of which are pretty awesome upgrades IMO. A tiny update that I would love to have is the "once" button on the pulsar - with the Music Easel you have to toggle to it to start the Pulsar, which quite often produces an unwanted little blip at the start of your performance. I haven't spent any time personally with the Easel Command, but in watching videos of it I would say the changes are all generally very useful upgrades and I don't see any that are negatives. (So I guess I'm saying unless you have to have a 218 right away and don't want to go with a 3rd Party/DIY version I can't fathom why anybody would pay above list for a less functional Music Easel when you can get an improved Easel Command for way less money. Well, unless I decide to sell my Music Easel - in which case people should pay way above list.)

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:54 pm

Just wait for the new one, it’ll be better anyway
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:32 pm

Couldn't one get a 208C and a LEM218 and put them in your own case and basically have a Easel? I guess the Command would offer you a bit more with MIDI and such.
The Buchla site also shows the LEM208 though I can't find anyone selling it. Basically it and the LEM218 module (not in a case) and you have an Easel.
Unfortunately the one I want is the Easel-K and I can't find it or the 223e Multi-Dimensional Kinesthetic Input / Tactile Input Port as a separate module to add to age LEM208.
Luckily I don't have any spare money so this is all a mental exercise for me right now.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

dialekt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dialekt » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 pm

pelican wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:54 pm
Just wait for the new one, it’ll be better anyway
What will make it better? The marketing?

I sent back my 208c twice because Eric Fox don't care about quality control. People act like having Joel on the team means something when he never built or worked on a 208 when he worked for Don. At first they swore up and down it wasn't the shitty new rohs compliant vactrols they are using in the 208c making it sound bad. It was the vactrols. Luckily for Eric most of the people who bought them are not Buchla owners or they would have had more returns.

FWIW 208c didn't sound nearly as good as my 208r or bemi 208 after they sent me one that actually worked.

Pagoda-100
Common Wiggler

Post by Pagoda-100 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:22 pm

My guess is that Eric does care about quality control. I would also guess that Joel is a super valuable asset.
Both guesses but I'd bet a few bucks on them being true.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:11 am

Can't you just commission a builder to make you a clone? I thought the good ones well built were meant to sound better anyway arguably

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:30 am

Buchla's bringing out a new Easel for $3999. Plus an upgrade path for recent 208 C's and Easel Commands, and a sub $1K 218 and a case. This spring, they say, and they seem pretty spot on with their timing. I picked up an Easel Command to get a head start on working with them. I'm a super newbie to Buchla and know nothing. I love love love the build on the Easel Command, but I do want keyboard and case. If you send a question to their General comments web page, they answer in a day or so and are very helpful with regards to this sort of inquiry.

analoglsd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by analoglsd » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:38 pm

RickKleffel wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:30 am
Buchla's bringing out a new Easel for $3999. Plus an upgrade path for recent 208 C's and Easel Commands, and a sub $1K 218 and a case. This spring, they say, and they seem pretty spot on with their timing.
Assuming that the spring release date for the Easel, you refer to, is coming from the video Buchla released in January, I'd keep in mind that they didn't have the new case or 218 to include in the video. Given that, I can't imagine that anyone is expecting anything near a spring roll out. I am excited to see what possible modifications they implement on the 218.

A few years ago, I picked up a new Easel from BEMI. It's one of my favorite instruments ever. I haven't had a chance to try out the 208c yet, but I really want to, and I admire the modifications that they made. Interested to see if there's much of a difference in sound. Honestly, I've tried several BEMI 208's, and they all have slightly different character, probably based on the vactrols. If they also do a similar update to the 218, I'll definitely be picking up the new Easel, and keeping the old one as well :party:

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:52 pm

analoglsd wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:38 pm
If they also do a similar update to the 218, I'll definitely be picking up the new Easel, and keeping the old one as well :party:
Well that answers my question which was,If I have an Easel Command and just buy a whole new Easel when they come out in spring is that acquisitive overkill or "planning ahead"? I'm very good at GASlighting my own bad self, always looking for fig leaves.

triplizard
Common Wiggler

Post by triplizard » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:22 pm

RickKleffel wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:52 pm
analoglsd wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:38 pm
If they also do a similar update to the 218, I'll definitely be picking up the new Easel, and keeping the old one as well :party:
Well that answers my question which was,If I have an Easel Command and just buy a whole new Easel when they come out in spring is that acquisitive overkill or "planning ahead"? I'm very good at GASlighting my own bad self, always looking for fig leaves.
I went the other route and started building a 200e system. Problem is it seems like it's almost impossible to find modules (at least Buchla ones). I found one used and have one on order from Noisebug. I ordered several more from Buchla directly but doesn't seem like they're going to be delivered any time soon. I'm like $5K into the system and have literally one module to show for it.

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:09 pm

triplizard wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:22 pm
I went the other route and started building a 200e system. Problem is it seems like it's almost impossible to find modules (at least Buchla ones). I found one used and have one on order from Noisebug. I ordered several more from Buchla directly but doesn't seem like they're going to be delivered any time soon. I'm like $5K into the system and have literally one module to show for it.
Hmm, maybe I should sell a bunch of my modules to you so I can buy a Colossus....
Robert
Co-host, Buchla podcast at http://sourceofuncertainty.audio

Dreadwvlf
Common Wiggler

Post by Dreadwvlf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:40 pm

@triplizard I think I went 200e around the same time
And I have had to be suuuuuuuper on top of the used market to find things. They’ve come from all over the place too. If you email buchla they can tell you what’s ACTUALLY in stock so you don’t get stuck paying way ahead of it actually arriving. I got a 291e filter bc they basically just had an order coming in and one wasn’t claimed yet. It’s crazy that a bunch of it is really just Mia at the moment but I know there are some parts issues too.

@mutierend got a 257e ya wanna part with? Eh eh???? 😎 Still can’t find one of those.

triplizard
Common Wiggler

Post by triplizard » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:13 pm

Yeah, it seems like some of the more basic ones are harder to find. They have 250e's in stock so I'm going to get one of those. 281e and 291e don't seem to be available anywhere and my system will be stuck as just an Easel accessory until I get those and one of the mixers. Oh well, I'm not in a desperate hurry and financially it's probably better if I spread out the purchases anyway.

Dreadwvlf
Common Wiggler

Post by Dreadwvlf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:23 pm

Damn I saw a 281e pop up here not long ago. It was gone immediately. Ask them about the 291e filters though. I literally just got one from them not long ago. Like last couple weeks.

triplizard
Common Wiggler

Post by triplizard » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:54 pm

He said he didn't have any 281e's or 291e's lying around but there wouldn't be a significant delay with them. So maybe I'll just put in an order and wait.

seozian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seozian » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:59 pm

Buchla direct is the way to go... Both times I ordered 200e stuff I was told the wait time is really just a matter of what they have to build and what they already have in stock.
:buchla:

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”