Noisebug "just say no" press release

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Voltage_Controller
Wiggling with Experience

Noisebug "just say no" press release

Post by Voltage_Controller » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:28 am

https://www.noisebug.net/blogs/news/noi ... bye-buchla

Seems odd to make an announcement like this - sort of like "there is more to this story but we are not telling"
“The only truth is music.” ― Kerouac

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Noisebug "just say no" press release

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:11 pm

#drama but also its their business
TOO FAR GONE

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 pm

lol, a company we distribute cancelled our sales contract after all the great things we did for them so heres some spilled milk.

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Noisebug no longer carrying Buchla (but is a R*S Showroom now)

Post by antonriehl » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:15 pm

I'm a little sad to hear this, since it's where I bought my Easel Command. It will be nice to try out more R*S modules though.
 ! Message from: luketeaford
Removed a reference to being a duplicate now that the two threads are merged

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Noisebug no longer carrying Buchla (but is a R*S Showroom now)

Post by levelhead3 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:45 pm

Might be worth an update to the 'Serge Information and Purchasing' sticky?

Pagoda-100
Common Wiggler

Post by Pagoda-100 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:11 am

Obviously two sides to this. I understand the desire to sell direct but It is sad indeed. I love that shop. Good people.
On a positive note, Random Source 4U in the US!!!

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:13 am

Pagoda-100 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:11 am
Random Source 4U in the US!!!
True, I'm sure prices will still be rough...
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

WTB: US Blue Lantern 7200 GREEN

Pagoda-100
Common Wiggler

Post by Pagoda-100 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:59 am

I'm sure prices will remain MSRP ish, but we should save a boatload on shipping / customs. My last panel got stuck in the Fedex customs swamp for like 15 days after making it to the US. As long as it generates more sales / exposure for RS I think it should be a good thing. (Said the guy thinking about selling some Buchla to by more Serge)... ;)

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:46 am

Where's the "Just Say No" part come from?

Sure, it seems like a less-than-amicable divorce but I don't understand the additional comment.

I want to see Eric & BUSA succeed for a number of reasons; not all of them entirely selfish. There are people, jobs, and legacy involved and I want to see this work for the best.
The BEMI false start was dismaying.

The 200e really needs some attention as there are standing bugs that are over a decade old at this point.
Very much tired of "easel, easel, easel" over the past years as well. I understand it from a revenue point of view, and I'd do the same, but... :despair: I'm not the target market for that product.
In recent years, we got two cool but flawed modules (272e & 251e [kinda half-Don half-driven-by-others]) <<<<<( I updated this for better accuracy)and then a 252e that is kinda 90% baked (no dedicated clock in or out?) but not much in the way of maintenance updates and bug fixes.

Then there is the H-series of half-space modules, which were also ill-conceived, by folks that didn't understand the ecosystem all that well.

I'm still perplexed by how long it has taken for long-standing issues to get addressed. I understand revenue concerns but, COME ON, the flagship modules need attention and work. We've/I've been pretty patient for more than a decade. I always figured it would be best, on my part, to wait until any iteration of Buchla, Inc. was on solid financial/personnel footing before expecting maintenance work on the 200e modules.
As the problems and bugs are largely still there and resources are perpetually driven into other endeavors, I wonder if/when any statements will be made regarding the investment of resources into the flagship 200e, at least in fixing the matters that can be addressed via firmware. Then, perhaps, BUSA can approach the releasing of documentation regarding known (and some solved!) issues relating to hardware (225e external MIDI-to-CV outs [busses E-H]).
Again, the flagship and its customers pretty much deserve some respect and service at this point.
I've got well over the cost of an Easel Command invested in cases ALONE!

Nonetheless, and with all of the above out there; I'll state that I still adore the 200e system and own the majority of modules. The 251e kicks ass, btw; even if not completely ironed out. The system still calls to me and is more an instrument, in my assessment, than any other jumble of mixed manufacturer systems.

BUSA could also stand to better communicate with this forum. It would be nice to see and letting known issues just float in the wind is disheartening. I do understand a manufacturer's trepidation about such a thing but that's a touch dated in the modern world.

triplizard
Common Wiggler

Post by triplizard » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:26 pm

I didn't think there was anything weird about that press release. It sounds to me like Buchla is going to focus more on direct distribution in the US and decided not to distribute through Noisebug anymore, and Noisebug is kind of bummed but said nice things about Buchla in parting.

I have no idea how many units Buchla moves but I would guess it's not super huge, so processing orders, packing and shipping are probably not as burdensome as they would be for a lower cost, higher volume company. I imagine they ran the math and figured out that it was better for them to keep the retail margin for domestic sales themselves, and that they weren't gaining much from having a retailer presence since almost all sales would happen online anyway.

owenyolo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by owenyolo » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:34 pm

I was also wondering what the title meant.
Last edited by owenyolo on Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

kosmische
Common Wiggler

Post by kosmische » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:33 pm

Voltage_Controller wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:28 am

Seems odd to make an announcement like this - sort of like "there is more to this story but we are not telling"
I thought the same when I read the announcement on their website the other day, however Kent has some good points here. I guess the only constant is change, etc.

That said, the R*S news is pretty rad (if not lethal for my bank account).

Dreadwvlf
Common Wiggler

Post by Dreadwvlf » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:05 pm

Well from what I was told by an unnamed Noisebug source he just didn’t think the direction buchla was going was going to work...and this didn’t agree with it...which is fine...it’s hard to tel from that statement alone who pulled the plug and I’m not sure if he meant creatively or just in terms of direct sales instead of through shops but it’s not really my business to pry any further.

I just want buchla to actually manufacture some dang modules and fix the bugs on the ones that exist bc they are incredibly cool and fun.

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:27 pm

Long as they keep making them easels
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

PDT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PDT » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:28 pm

Voltage_Controller wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:28 am
"there is more to this story but we are not telling"
this

mermott
Common Wiggler

Post by mermott » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:10 am

This:
Kent wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:46 am
Very much tired of "easel, easel, easel" over the past years as well.
And this:
Kent wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:46 am
...COME ON, the flagship modules need attention and work. We've/I've been pretty patient for more than a decade.
In the youtube interview Eric Fox mentions spending thousands on fixing bugs seeming to imply it's something people do not notice but which is nonetheless important to him. Does anybody know which bugs he is talking about ?

I started my system in 2010 and i am still hoping for on an official repair/maintenance reference in Europe. I think enough Buchla systems have been shipped here to justify it at this point.

Kent

Post by Kent » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:59 am

Gestures by entities aren't noticed if those entities don't clearly communicate them.

Schneider's is being set up for service of some sort. They are shipping them some JTAG adapters as I type.

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:31 am

Pretty sure I read that the 251e was designed by Don. Yes, in one of the early 251e threads, Ezra/zebra was adding the randomization functionality and was fielding questions about the device, he mentioned that he didn’t design it, Don did. Other associates i involved no doubt.

Agree we need some bug fixes here and there. And it’s only needed bc the 200e is the best darn modular synth on the planet.

mermott
Common Wiggler

Post by mermott » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:47 am

Kent wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:59 am
Schneider's is being set up for service of some sort. They are shipping them some JTAG adapters as I type.
Thanks. Looking forward to this being announced and rolling.

Kent

Post by Kent » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:51 am

missingtwin wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:31 am
Pretty sure I read that the 251e was designed by Don. Yes, in one of the early 251e threads, Ezra/zebra was adding the randomization functionality and was fielding questions about the device, he mentioned that he didn’t design it, Don did. Other associates i involved no doubt.
I'm interested in reading that, if you can find it. It went right by me and is the first of heard of such. Link it, if you can.

Edit: only thing I found that seems applicable is this thread and I come away from it still holding the idea that Ezra drove the ship on the 251e.
missingtwin wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:31 am
Agree we need some bug fixes here and there. And it’s only needed bc the 200e is the best darn modular synth on the planet.
Indeed! :sb:

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:02 am

I’m sure the easel clone kits and 100 series clones don’t help the current Buchla company in getting and keeping the cash flowing in. But yeah the 200’s should be their focus!!
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:08 am

Honestly, what a load of nonsense. I once sent an email to this retail outlet explaining difficulties I had importing goods and asking if they could help and they showed no interest in helping me out.

It would be acceptable if this was the tragedy of the commons but it's nothing more than posturing.

architexture
Common Wiggler

Post by architexture » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:55 am

Good for Buchla for trying to get their house in order, my suggestion to them would be to continue to source outside talent.

They're working with Jon from THC already, they should bring Doug from StudioH and Alex from Keen into the mix either as contractors or full fledged lead designers. By bringing on talented engineers who love and respect the format and ecosystem Buchla could really bolster it's future and longevity as a company.

I understand the need to cut expenses and ship direct, and it doesn't hurt my feelings at all I just hope they focus their direction wisely since they are regrouping.

Kent

Post by Kent » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:21 am

architexture wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:55 am

They're working with Jon from THC already, they should bring Doug from StudioH and Alex from Keen into the mix either as contractors or full fledged lead designers.
They've got real jobs, my man.

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:42 am

Here’s the thread where zebra comments that don designed the 251e

viewtopic.php?t=84876

“i didn't design this thing, don did, but yeah i think its pretty straightforward.

ez”

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”