Synthi AKS owners on Muff?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

sanders
Veteran Wiggler

Synthi AKS owners on Muff?

Post by sanders » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:55 am

This is a lot to ask, probably, but I'm hoping to find a Synthi owner who wouldn't mind sharing a few dimensions with me?? Are there any Synthi owners on this forum?

I'm building an AKS work-a-like, but I'd like to maintain the AKS look as close as possible. So, I'm looking for the size of the front panel, lengthwise and heightwise. I'd guess it's about 15" x 11".

The other dimensions I'd love to know are for the Spartanite case. The front panel dimensions will give me pretty good idea, but I'm curious about it's width? I'd guess it's 4" wide.

I'm sort of surprised that this info isn't on the web somewhere, but I haven't been able to turn it up yet-- so, if there are any benevolent EMS users out there..

scienceblu
Learning to Wiggle

Synthi AKS dimensions

Post by scienceblu » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Hello,
I would like to help you about the right dimensions. I have an early AKS, I can send you the dimension in centimeters.
Let me know the parts that you need

sanders
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sanders » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks very much!!

I PM'd you with details, but basically I'm just looking for measurements of the front panel and of the attaché case. Nothing fancy. I've gotten pretty good at determining placement and spatial relations based on a few measurements, and some good pictures. Of course, there's a ton of photos available.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 pm

I believe a closed case lying flat measures:
19" at the widest case/18" at the narrowest case/4-1/2" tall (5" with rubber feet)

Case closed front to back:
14-1/2" includes handle or hinges

The Samsonite case also has about 1/4" lip around it so you have to take that into account.

I know someone who has worked on a few, so these should be pretty accurate measurements.

sanders
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sanders » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:05 pm

This is quite a bit larger than I estimated. These dimensions are from memory?
MindMachine wrote:I believe a closed case lying flat measures:
19" at the widest case/18" at the narrowest case/4-1/2" tall (5" with rubber feet)

The Samsonite case also has about 1/4" lip around it so you have to take that into account.

I know someone who has worked on a few, so these should be pretty accurate measurements.

Raglani
EMS blasphemer

clones

Post by Raglani » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:06 pm

talk to these guys...

Phutney
one clone

another clone

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:19 pm

sanders wrote:This is quite a bit larger than I estimated. These dimensions are from memory?
MindMachine wrote:I believe a closed case lying flat measures:

From notes... should be very accurate. EMS may have used more than one case manufacturer though. It is actually Spartanite not Samsonite that made at least some of the cases:
http://noisedesign.blogspot.com/2010/05 ... ynthi.html

scienceblu
Learning to Wiggle

Synthi AKS dimensions

Post by scienceblu » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:46 am

Hello,
...Better later that never ;-)
Here are 3 AKS pics with all the right dimensions in Centimeters
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PhutneyBuilder
Common Wiggler

Synthi A dimensions

Post by PhutneyBuilder » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:41 pm

OK here we go.

It was designed before 1970 so all the dimensions are in Imperial.

Base Width = 18"

this is parallel to a height of 6 1/4"

This then tapers to a Top Width = 17 1/4" at a height of 13 1/4"

The top bulges to a height of 13 3/4"

I was told that it was designed to fit inside a standard 19" rack, which it does.

The depth isn't that important, as Spartanite cases are in very short supply, so if you are intending to put it in a briefcase, I would make the chassis depth to fit.

PhutneyBuilder
Common Wiggler

Re: Synthi AKS owners on Muff?

Post by PhutneyBuilder » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:44 am

Hi All,

Now that we've moved into the 3D printing age, it's perfectly possible to print a briefcase (I dare not say the trade name of "Etinatraps" just in case (no pun intended) someone gets the hump, but I'm seriously investigating the viability of producing 100 off cases, I'll keep you posted when I have a cost for this, but I'm hoping the cost is a lot less than the £750.00 each, the biggest problem is the case hardware, but polished aluminium catches made exactly like the originals are an option.

Derek.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:22 pm

I started to construct a Synthi "work alike" in Eurorack. I wanted to build it in a skiff/briefcase like the AKS. I used to own a couple of AKS and they were the perfect size to take to a gig. Unfortunately the modules I chose to use to make my unit were too deep to make a shallow skiff with them. I thought of stripping out the PCBs and making my own one large front panel and mounting the behind it sans, connectors and make or het a matrix to make the connections, but that would be way too much work with the energy I have nowadays. Not to mention surely fucking something up in the process.

This is the dream design. I am most the way there but will probably not get the sequencer. AS modules are not cheap here in the states and that unit alone is around id around $1300 which is probably more than all the other modules. I have most all the other modules already, just got the cash for the Synthi filter and Envelope shaper (probably the most like the original) and will fill the sequencer space with something different. I have a few more different AS filters so may just try and make an all AS cabinet.
Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 9.11.21 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:57 pm

PhutneyBuilder wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:44 am
Hi All,
Now that we've moved into the 3D printing age, it's perfectly possible to print a briefcase (I dare not say the trade name of "Etinatraps" just in case (no pun intended) someone gets the hump, but I'm seriously investigating the viability of producing 100 off cases, I'll keep you posted when I have a cost for this, but I'm hoping the cost is a lot less than the £750.00 each, the biggest problem is the case hardware, but polished aluminium catches made exactly like the originals are an option.
Derek.
You'll spend far less in time and effort, with likely better results, using casting rather than 3DP.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:16 am

PhutneyBuilder wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:44 am
Hi All,

Derek.
I'm not familiar with any printers that can do a similar finish and material. That would be a huge printer too. Care to share any specifics? there was also some discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7558&hilit=ems+case&start=1075
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”