Photos of the EMS (Cornwall) Synthi A 2011

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

mike sheridan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mike sheridan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:27 pm

mass fabricate the synthis!!!!
www.soundcloud.com/mikesheridan

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:03 pm

mass fabricate the lies! :twisted:
wtb: silence

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:04 pm

sascha.victoria wrote:mass fabricate the lies! :twisted:
or the truth? :despair:
wtb: silence

supersounddesign
Wiggling with Experience

Post by supersounddesign » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:25 pm

I for one am happy to see the Synthi back as a topic of conversation after a drought filled with krell patches, (though the krell patch does rule!).

I am getting a bit antsy waiting for my synthi. It should be here by the end of October, which is great for me seeing that I shall need to save about a months salary to pad out my bank account.

After all of this I am hoping I actually get along with it.

D

nathanxl
Pickup Truck Full of Forty Minutes

Post by nathanxl » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:54 pm

I follow this thread to see pics of the new Synthi As out in the wild and in use, hopefully with videos of the action too... Well because thats what the thread was originally made for.
All this conjecture, gossip and assumption is fine but to all those people that have taken delivery of the new one please share some documentation with the rest who are curious.

Thanks.

supersounddesign
Wiggling with Experience

Post by supersounddesign » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:15 pm

nathanxl wrote:I follow this thread to see pics of the new Synthi As out in the wild and in use, hopefully with videos of the action too... Well because thats what the thread was originally made for.
All this conjecture, gossip and assumption is fine but to all those people that have taken delivery of the new one please share some documentation with the rest who are curious.

Thanks.
Agreed. We have seen the pics, howza bout some videos?

synthfanatic
Common Wiggler

Post by synthfanatic » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:07 am

There's a new Synthi A video on YouTube:

hocustotem
Common Wiggler

Post by hocustotem » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:26 am

synthfanatic wrote:There's a new Synthi A video on YouTube:
haha i posted that video when the synthi was fresh out-of-the-box. I hadn't seen a synthi in 10 years (since university!) and obviously had an ill understanding of the control side of the matrix, as evidenced by several pointless patches.

Now that i have a feel for it i'm hoping to post more, and better. But constantly working a job to make up the money i spent on the freakin thing. (At least i have the time to use it after work to relax.)

Anyway-- surely someone here can do better with their own new Synthi A.

synthfanatic
Common Wiggler

Post by synthfanatic » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:51 pm

I guess a new EMS Synthi A is available on Ebay.de:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... ink:top:de

It's not mine (I don't ever plan on selling it), but I wonder how much it will go for...
Last edited by synthfanatic on Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supersounddesign
Wiggling with Experience

Post by supersounddesign » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:29 pm

synthfanatic wrote:I guess a new EMS Synthi A is available on Ebay.de:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 902wt_1304

It's not mine (I don't ever plan on selling it), but I wonder how much it will go for...
wow.. interesting.

synthfanatic
Common Wiggler

Post by synthfanatic » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Has anyone received a new Synthi recently? I'm curious so who has received a new unit since the last batches went out in August.

supersounddesign
Wiggling with Experience

Post by supersounddesign » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:35 am

synthfanatic wrote:Has anyone received a new Synthi recently? I'm curious so who has received a new unit since the last batches went out in August.
I spoke with Robin on the phone. There were some delays in the latest batch.
Mine was supposed to be done in mid October but now I'm looking at the end of November.

So, the Oct batch has offset the rest down the line.

Robin said he would send me a photo of mine once it gets basically slapped together.

Hope this helps

D

vassili
Common Wiggler

Post by vassili » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:15 am

Robin told me that he will be able to start assembling the first VCS3s in January!
:party:

synthfanatic
Common Wiggler

Post by synthfanatic » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Please upload photos of any new Synthi A's (especially the whiteface versions) or VCS3's. On The Synthi Forum, someone had posted photos of a new VCS3 made in Cornwall around the year 2000. I wonder why a few were produced and production subsequently stopped for another decade? I am very interested to see the build quality of these new units!

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:27 pm

I think Robin did a number of rebuilds back a decade or so back - maybe some new ones, don't know.

But I think the answer was tha the was busy with the Soundbeam product. He wasn't just sitting around he was making stuff for educational contracts I think.
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

synthfanatic
Common Wiggler

Post by synthfanatic » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:42 pm

Here's some photos of a supposedly new VCS3 made in 2003/2004. I'm guessing this is what the new units will look like.

vassili
Common Wiggler

Post by vassili » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:21 pm

synthfanatic wrote:Here's some photos of a supposedly new VCS3 made in 2003/2004. I'm guessing this is what the new units will look like.

:love: :love: :love:

fluxivity
Common Wiggler

Post by fluxivity » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:40 pm

how's the list progressing, anyone got anything new?

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:47 am

the thread has got sort of split, see

viewtopic.php?t=7558&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=240

for pics of a new VCS3.
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

jfloftin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jfloftin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 am

chamomileshark wrote:the thread has got sort of split, see

viewtopic.php?t=7558&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=240

for pics of a new VCS3.
I agree. I may even need some moderation...

monolab
1-Post Wiggler

Post by monolab » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:40 pm

so nice to see all the photo's and replies from lucky owners of a NEW synthi. i went on the waiting list 2003/2004. i moved to Norway in 2006 ofcourse as life & time went on , i kind of placed 'my order for a New synthi' in the very back of my mind (only on odd days would i remember). i had spoked to Robin in 2010 to see how 'Things were going along' & to fully inform him of my move (new address , new email address .. etc) .
A talk the other day with friends about Synthi's reminded me about my long forgotted order. so two days ago i contacted Robin.. to find out 'He'd been trying to contact' my Synthi had been ready in April 2012 (he'd not connected up my new information). so my synthi had long gone. but he was still working his way through the '40' . so i could have one of the next 5 being built or wait alittle. ...

i think i will have to delay the order alittle.. but it was such GREAT NEWS! to know that i hadn't fully missed out.. (someone day told be that week , that all the new synthi's had long since sold ).

just wanted to tell you all about my little ray of hope :tu:
and all those still on the list & waiting... there will be a NEW SYNTHI at the end of the Rainbow. :bacon:

i was ment to join this forum in 2011 but i never confirmed .. so better late then never.. ha ha

gone

Post by gone » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:53 pm

so @monolab did you get yours?

I went on the list in 2001/2002 (I think) and I'm only just realising that he eventually started shipping them in 2011.

I've emailed him (going to call on monday) to see if all 40 'A's are now gone.

I'm guessing they are.

gone

Post by gone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:06 am

great news, I'm #5 in the next batch of Synthi As, Robin hopes to have a one ready for me later this year. Can't quite believe it!

He tried to contact me in June 2012 but with no success (all contact details had changed).

When I emailed him he came back very quickly and was happy to offer me a unit.

They're finishing up a batch of VCS3s at the moment.

:)

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

synthfanatic wrote:Here's some photos of a supposedly new VCS3 made in 2003/2004. I'm guessing this is what the new units will look like.

I must admit, looking at some old/vintage VCS3 recently (in real life, not in pictures), it looks like the new VCS3 are probably better made at least on a cosmetic point of view than the vintage ones... wonderful job, the wood work is lovely...
It would be great if Robin was still continuing to propose them by hand and if at the same time they were arranging some deal with Korg to propose a general public version (a bit like the Arp Odyssey to come in September)...reduced size :-), revised PCB/cabling solutions...

There would still be people buying the ones made by Robin, indeed, because it is the 'real' deal and wonderfully made synths, but at the same time more people would be able to put their hand on this fun machine on the VCS3 Mini from korg...the Synth'org....

But we're not there yet, are we :waah: :hihi:

drewskee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by drewskee » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:57 am

beyourdog wrote: I must admit, looking at some old/vintage VCS3 recently (in real life, not in pictures), it looks like the new VCS3 are probably better made at least on a cosmetic point of view than the vintage ones... wonderful job, the wood work is lovely...
It would be great if Robin was still continuing to propose them by hand and if at the same time they were arranging some deal with Korg to propose a general public version (a bit like the Arp Odyssey to come in September)...reduced size :-), revised PCB/cabling solutions...

There would still be people buying the ones made by Robin, indeed, because it is the 'real' deal and wonderfully made synths, but at the same time more people would be able to put their hand on this fun machine on the VCS3 Mini from korg...the Synth'org....

But we're not there yet, are we :waah: :hihi:
When you look at the guts of one of these machines you come to appreciate how truly complex the wiring is especially with the pin matrix. Thus its a bit hard to imagine a PCB constucted version ala an Arp Odyssey which has no patch points with sliders mounted to the circuit board...same with the MS20.

Agreed that it would be great to see more of these but it appears Robin is set on ensuring they are "true to original" in all aspects. Conjecture might be that something new/different would be the next logical step using some of the same circuits that give the Synti/VCS3 the unique tonal quality.

When you look at the new Macbeth with the touch keyboard and what they will cost the Synthi/VCS3 does not seem so overpriced. The Serge is closest to the level of wiring detail required...Buchla 200e and Euro falling more in the curcuit through panel approach. So it seems time/effort = $$$
Things should be as simple as possible but not one bit simpler - Albert Einstein

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”