Synton 3000 Modular

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:46 pm

holy cow! two variants? two EG's and LFO's sounds promising! Either one would be the cat's jammies
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

lumin
Common Wiggler

Post by lumin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:57 pm

Morley wrote:[video][/video]
your synton sounds awesome. never heard one before.

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:33 am

lumin wrote: your synton sounds awesome. never heard one before.
Thanks! I think it’s a nice system to my ears. No crazy modules, but all the building blocks you need. Loving it.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:56 am

Awesome sounding. :yay:

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:09 am

chrisso wrote:Awesome sounding. :yay:
Cheers!

jimfowler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimfowler » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:13 pm

Those sonics are fucking incredible.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:40 am

that College unit must be near priceless due to rarity. Keep me on the bid list if you decide to sell.
I serviced it, a look inside is priceless. :mrgreen:

Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:34 am

I love seeing gut shots like this. Fenix 1 also looks mildly dodgy inside, Fenix 2 looks just like this college except extremely dense, well designed and modern.

Good stuff.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:50 am

Really ?
Someone asked me yesterday if I could check and service a Fenix 2 and 3 system. I'll ask for some inside pics prior to accept the job. :nut:
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

Bigbang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bigbang » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:43 am

Morley wrote:[video][/video]
Sounds very nice. Better then the Fenix. I was never fond of the sound of the Fenix [had nr. 001]. I liked the Syrinx very much.

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:19 am

Bigbang wrote: Sounds very nice. Better then the Fenix. I was never fond of the sound of the Fenix [had nr. 001]. I liked the Syrinx very much.
Thanks!
I like all the Synth stuff tbh. Each different. The synth I use almost all the time now is the Fenix II. It's amazingly flexible and powerful. The Fenix I is much simpler but sounds different. Nastier!
But the 3000 is classic modular territory.
As for build quality people post about, it was affordable stuff in the day. Tools. Not meant to be high end, but it sounds better than most fancy stuff.

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:19 am

Bigbang wrote: Sounds very nice. Better then the Fenix. I was never fond of the sound of the Fenix [had nr. 001]. I liked the Syrinx very much.
Thanks!
I like all the Synth stuff tbh. Each different. The synth I use almost all the time now is the Fenix II. It's amazingly flexible and powerful. The Fenix I is much simpler but sounds different. Nastier!
But the 3000 is classic modular territory.
As for build quality people post about, it was affordable stuff in the day. Tools. Not meant to be high end, but it sounds better than most fancy stuff.

thermisonic
Common Wiggler

Post by thermisonic » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:09 pm

papz wrote:
that College unit must be near priceless due to rarity. Keep me on the bid list if you decide to sell.
I serviced it, a look inside is priceless. :mrgreen:

so sparse! and very homemade looking

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm

thermisonic wrote: so sparse! and very homemade looking
They were all handmade. It's why the cult of expensive synths is absurd. These are electronics. Nothing more. There is no magic in any synth. Its components.
What matters is the sound it makes and how the designer uses those components.
I think it sounds excellent.
[video][/video]

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:46 am

I think one of the features of the 3000 that is especially interesting is the keyboard itself, and not simply because of the extraordinary pitch bending plates. The keyboard features a "staccato" button that I believe removes some sort of limitation on the trigger to defeat bounce or something? I vaguely recall an explanation back in school, seems like a capacitor or something was used to prevent messy triggers An odd feature, maybe some other keyboards have it, I cant see any sign of it on the Syrinx
Once I got to playing with it, I discovered a sort of touch sensitivity probably related to the velocity of the key press, giving more time to the sputter when played sympathetically, sounds get spitty and the results are fairly controllable, an interesting feedback mechanism that elevates the results from the ordinary.
Sorry I dont have an example to share, but this aspect of the system is worth knowing about.
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”