EMS Synthi waiting list

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Re: EMS Synthi waiting list

Post by Portabella » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:32 am

Lorenzo_F wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:40 pm
fatbenelton wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:32 am
Joined the waiting list Summer 2020 - Number 147 for a VCS3. Robin reckons 4 years, I’m thinking 10!
I am going to join the waiting list for a VCS3 very very soon....for me it will be 15 tears :waah:
how old is Robin btw?
I'm having second thoughts he'll still be building modules in 15 years from now ... no front

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:50 am

Pretty sure he has an apprentice/assistant. Hopefully he'll be able to take the reins when Robin retires.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:43 am

Robin has a long time assistant who should of course stay in the company if it changes hands.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

LucienDucasse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LucienDucasse » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:50 am

I've been on the waiting list for many years. Then I met MrPin in Berlin last year. He had a portabella with him and I was able to use it for 2 hours. Then it was clear I need the thing immediately. Now I have made the deposit and there are only 10 weeks waiting time,,,,10 weeks``` not years !!!!

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:01 am

So what ?

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

LucienDucasse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LucienDucasse » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:31 am

Not everyone can wait 10 years you maybe,,,so what ?!

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:37 am

There are various threads for Pin's and other knockoffs.
This one is about genuine EMS Synthi, not knockoffs, and it's annoying to see this kind of displaced considerations repeatedly.

LucienDucasse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LucienDucasse » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:57 am

Its about the so called EMS "waiting list" which i was part of many years and I just stated why I switched to Pin Portabella. no off topic so far I see, right?!

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:04 am

Fair enough, but what's your point ? Informing people that they can get a knockoff with a shorter waiting time ? Many thanks for the scoop but every participant here is already aware of that.

LucienDucasse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LucienDucasse » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:25 am

you answered the question yourself! Congrats and don't take tension!

exit_only
Learning to Wiggle

Post by exit_only » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:24 pm

not everyone would know that, and you dont speak for all people. there are plenty of people who may have an interest in an EMS synthi, arent aware of alternatives and dont want to wait a decade for a synthesizer.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:59 pm

This thread is meant to talk about the waiting list and therefore intended for the ones interested in a genuine new EMS Cornwall Synthi and willing to wait, not for the ones interested in a so-called "alternative" and not willing to wait or pay for the real thing.
Repeated "suggestions" for these so-called "alternatives" are akin to trolling.
Is it so hard to understand ? :roll:

LucienDucasse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LucienDucasse » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:09 pm

so are you doing the rules here? It's about the waiting list ,,,,that includes pros, cons and alternatives!

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:14 pm

It's not a matter of rules but a matter of elementary good sense.

jjsynth
Common Wiggler

Post by jjsynth » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:14 pm

From someone who sells clones of pcbs I find this a bit funny🙃. But what do I know... maybe the Buchla Music Easel is not the holy grail that the EMS seems to be.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:48 pm

The problem is not about clones but about repeatedly mentioning those in unappropriated places. I don't tell in the BEMI / BUSA Easel threads that the 208p is a better option.
I don't care of the Synthi clones, it's a parallel market and most people really wanting an original Synthi won't settle for an "alternative".

Since you seem to like to compare, now imagine there's a discussion about Harley Davidson where people talk essentially about purchasing a Harley Davidson.
How do you think they will appreciate it if someone arrives and says as his first intervention that he'll rather buy a Honda because he thinks it's a more interesting option ?
Last edited by papz on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:56 pm

papz your unrestrained temper in every EMS thread REALLY starts to bother me (and I'm not alone with that as it seems)
can you try and not act like a total douchebag at any given chance?
who are you? the EMS police? you're not even a moderator here.. so act accordingly ffs.
further I think it's unnecessary to put the words alternatives and knockoffs in quotation marks since you're selling rip-off PCBs as well.
your boards are more than that .. it's a copy of a copy which isn't even done well.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:03 pm

I'm happy to return the compliment to you, Mr Troll.
If you want to discuss the quality of the PCBs I offer, please do it in the appropriated thread.

triplizard
Common Wiggler

Post by triplizard » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:26 pm

Just FYI, I've been on the mailing list for many years. I check in every year like clockwork and I move up between 7 and 10 spots a year, on average. No idea if he intends to increase the rate of production in the future but it's been relatively consistent for some time. At the current pace I'm about 18 months out, I'd guess. I'm happy to keep waiting - just thankful he's still making them. When I first went on the list I set up an auto deposit to an index fund of a few hundred bucks a month to make sure I had the money when my number came up. With that money I could now pay for 3 or 4 of Robin's Synthis (even after taking money out to buy a Waldorf Quantum last year). :-)

wanne
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wanne » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:13 am

papz wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:04 am
Fair enough, but what's your point ? Informing people that they can get a knockoff with a shorter waiting time ? Many thanks for the scoop but every participant here is already aware of that.
why do you describe the portabella as an knockoff `?
could you explain please ?!

seditionary
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seditionary » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:33 am

wanne wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:13 am
papz wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:04 am
why do you describe the portabella as an knockoff `?
could you explain please ?!
Is the PIN the same circuit? For one thing, it doesn't look like the PIN has the meter. Looks like the Behringer has the meter though... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=243107

I wonder what Robin will think of such a thing... and I wonder if the circuit was reverse engineered by Behringer. If so, I wonder what kind of components they are using. Will they use film caps? ;)
Last edited by seditionary on Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

seditionary
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seditionary » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:46 am

Portabella wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:56 pm
from your username, do you have a portabella? have you ever compared one to an ems synthi?
Last edited by seditionary on Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

seditionary
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seditionary » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:58 am

oops :picard:
Last edited by seditionary on Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:59 am

seditionary
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seditionary » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:03 am

papz wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:59 am
https://www.wordnik.com/words/knockoff
Do you know, papz -- speaking of knockoff -- Analogue Systems seem to have some authorized EMS modules. Do you know if those are the same circuits found in the Synthi? Maybe they have gotten permission from Robin where PIP and Behringer are just flying with unauthorized circuits?

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”