EMS Synthi waiting list

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mrfang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrfang » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:17 pm

Congratulations!

What is the serial number on your unit?
FS/T: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), Malekko Manther Growl, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak, Synthrotek ECHO, Bastl Knit Rider, ARC Artificial Neural Network.
FT: 4ms SWN, STS, DLD, SMR, Tapographic Delay.
WTB/T: LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400.

moog55
Wiggling with Experience

Post by moog55 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:06 pm

mrfang wrote:Congratulations!

What is the serial number on your unit?
4XXXX
Last edited by moog55 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:37 pm

People are still paying big bucks for spartanites, maybe we'll see more Synthi As?

moog55
Wiggling with Experience

Post by moog55 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:08 pm

construct09 wrote:People are still paying big bucks for spartanites, maybe we'll see more Synthi As?
Robin was exploring different case options several years ago. Not sure if he's still doing so or not. Would be a shame to see the end of Synthi A manufacturing, but as far as spartanites go, that well dried up a long time ago.

ModHiisi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModHiisi » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:01 am

chriscarter wrote:We bought a Future Retro 512 for our Synthi but was disappointed with the build quality - also the colour scheme is truly horrendous - I mean come on... purple and yellow? ugh! We sent it straight back.

Currently using a Lifeforms KB-1 mounted in a low profile 4MS POD 60 case - via a Digitana Synthi interface. Going to add a small sequencer to the 4ms case soon.
Hmm, totally forgot about the Lifeforms. I've been trying to figure out a controller for my 4 panels of Serge. Got a Keystep just awhile ago, which is great. But perhaps Lifeforms could animate it even better..!

synthfanatic
Common Wiggler

Post by synthfanatic » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:28 am

Thanks for sharing! I love the prestopatch on your Synthi and the fact that it doesn't have the white ends like mine, but its a very small thing to nitpick. The Synthi A I purchased from EMS in July, 2012 had the very last aluminum panel, which has a look that I prefer.

I'm not sure that there will be a large number Synthi A's that will be produced now that the Spartanite briefcases have lapsed... I imagine that there will be one-offs made from those who are able to source a case through other means, however I don't know if Robin has the means or the capital to commission the manufacture of an equivalent case...

Certainly an end of an era, unless someone in this forum has a deep understanding of the manufacture of injection-molded products and knows of suppliers who can do it cost effectively...

BTW - Did anyone read Electronic Sound's EMS issue? There's interesting interviews with Peter Zinovieff, Robin Wood and others, and contains a CD of recordings by Peter Zinovieff, Tristram Cary, David Vorhaus, and Jack Dangers!

https://electronicsound.co.uk/product/i ... cd-bundle/

tarandfeathers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tarandfeathers » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:25 am

synthfanatic wrote:BTW - Did anyone read Electronic Sound's EMS issue? There's interesting interviews with Peter Zinovieff, Robin Wood and others, and contains a CD of recordings by Peter Zinovieff, Tristram Cary, David Vorhaus, and Jack Dangers!

Still baffled by the fact they put that out with green frequency/level controls and output filters, despite having blue white and yellow elsewhere on the cover...
Dunnington Audio - Various Buchla accoutrements available

mrfang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrfang » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:12 am

I was hoping to find a US source rather than paying for international shipping, and of course now it's sold out.
FS/T: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), Malekko Manther Growl, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak, Synthrotek ECHO, Bastl Knit Rider, ARC Artificial Neural Network.
FT: 4ms SWN, STS, DLD, SMR, Tapographic Delay.
WTB/T: LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400.

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:39 pm

Just wanted to let people know that the Synthi A is still in production. At least for the time being. Have had a couple of emails from Robin and he confirmed that you just need to BYO case.

No. 13 on the list! :party: Now who's got a spare Spartanite... :ripbanana:

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:53 pm

sanders wrote:How could it be this flimsy two-bit spartanite case would requires tens of thousands of dollars of injection molding set up fees. Why cant three plastic pieces be fabricated using some cheaper technology, 3D printing, etc. The handles are still in production, the hinges and latches will have to be reproduced, or replaced.

If someone wants to get me plane tickets, I'll bring my Spartantite to Shenzhen and see if they can't reproduce it in days for hundreds (not thousands). Who wants one?
I'll buy you a one way ticket to flesh it out. Let us know how it goes.
It should be very simple.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:56 am

Annwn wrote:Just wanted to let people know that the Synthi A is still in production. At least for the time being. Have had a couple of emails from Robin and he confirmed that you just need to BYO case.

Thanks for the info. Is supplying an original case a requirement to purchase, do you know? Can one just buy the unit as such?

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:01 am

01235813 wrote:
Annwn wrote:Just wanted to let people know that the Synthi A is still in production. At least for the time being. Have had a couple of emails from Robin and he confirmed that you just need to BYO case.

Is supplying an original case a requirement to purchase, do you know?
No problem. No, that's what I'm doing. Just buying the chassis. Now I have 2-3 years to find a Spartanite or suitable alternative.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:55 am

synthfanatic wrote:Certainly an end of an era, unless someone in this forum has a deep understanding of the manufacture of injection-molded products and knows of suppliers who can do it cost effectively...
Okay guys, this has to be possible somehow. There's at least 20+ users around here who would want a Spartanite case.. I know mold mothers are crazily expensive, but is there no other way? I mean we don't want mass production with ten thousands of these case.. only a few hundrets I guess.
I am willing to contribute to paying flight tickets for user @sanders to travel to China in order to provide them his case for copying duties :-)

synthfanatic wrote: BTW - Did anyone read Electronic Sound's EMS issue? There's interesting interviews with Peter Zinovieff, Robin Wood and others, and contains a CD of recordings by Peter Zinovieff, Tristram Cary, David Vorhaus, and Jack Dangers!
Yes I did and it's an amazing read with lots of new infos and stories for me.
For everyone who missed it: I found a PDF version of it online.. I think it got deleted - at least I can't seem to find it anymore

ross_hm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ross_hm » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Portabella wrote:
synthfanatic wrote:Certainly an end of an era, unless someone in this forum has a deep understanding of the manufacture of injection-molded products and knows of suppliers who can do it cost effectively...
Okay guys, this has to be possible somehow. There's at least 20+ users around here who would want a Spartanite case.. I know mold mothers are crazily expensive, but is there no other way? I mean we don't want mass production with ten thousands of these case.. only a few hundrets I guess.
I am willing to contribute to paying flight tickets for user @sanders to travel to China in order to provide them his case for copying duties :-)

synthfanatic wrote: BTW - Did anyone read Electronic Sound's EMS issue? There's interesting interviews with Peter Zinovieff, Robin Wood and others, and contains a CD of recordings by Peter Zinovieff, Tristram Cary, David Vorhaus, and Jack Dangers!
Yes I did and it's an amazing read with lots of new infos and stories for me.
For everyone who missed it: I found a PDF version of it online.. I think it got deleted - at least I can't seem to find it anymore
Screw it, I'm in as well!
*** WTB - Orgon Systems Enigiser ***
Please get in touch. Can also trade!

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:05 pm

I wonder if this company from another thread would have the specific dimensions on hand to avoid a special trip?

http://www.headus.com/au/case-studies/ems-synthi-aks

triplizard
Common Wiggler

Post by triplizard » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:32 pm

Has anybody seen a new VCS3 in the wild? I got an email from Robin a while back saying they were producing them steadily.

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:30 pm

I would love to just build a wooden cabinet for a synthi A or get find some other reasonable case.

Is it even worth signing up on the waiting list at this point?
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:35 pm

southphillysynths wrote:I would love to just build a wooden cabinet for a synthi A or get find some other reasonable case.

Is it even worth signing up on the waiting list at this point?
You might have missed my post above but the Synthi is still in production for the time being, according to Robin, with a 2-3 year wait time.

Agreed. A timber cabinet would be great alternative.

triplizard
Common Wiggler

Post by triplizard » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Annwn wrote:
You might have missed my post above but the Synthi is still in production for the time being, according to Robin, with a 2-3 year wait time.
2-3 year wait time? I've been on the waiting list for 10 years now and he's quoting me another year or two?

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:22 pm

triplizard wrote:
Annwn wrote:
2-3 year wait time? I've been on the waiting list for 10 years now and he's quoting me another year or two?
I'm just quoting what I've been told in the last couple of weeks of contact with Robin. I'm pretty sure he's only really ramped up production in the last few years.

In the meantime, I've had the unbelievable luck of finding a Spartanite or "Spartinite" on Gumtree for $100. Don't forget to search for typos, folks. There's still some gems out there.

construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:06 am

Annwn wrote:
triplizard wrote:
Annwn wrote:
I'm just quoting what I've been told in the last couple of weeks of contact with Robin. I'm pretty sure he's only really ramped up production in the last few years.

In the meantime, I've had the unbelievable luck of finding a Spartanite or "Spartinite" on Gumtree for $100. Don't forget to search for typos, folks. There's still some gems out there.

Awesome!! You got that in OZ?!

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:00 am

construct09 wrote: Awesome!! You got that in OZ?!
I did! So stupidly lucky. The only catch was that the seller posted it to me as-is, with just an address label and stamps slapped right on the case. :eek:
Fortunately it survived. Possibly with a couple of extra scuffs though. Still, not going to complain for that price.

construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:12 am

:yay: Thats incredible, can't believe you turned one up on this continent

pelican
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelican » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:48 am

Why is the ks not offered anymore?
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

ross_hm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ross_hm » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:32 am

Annwn wrote:
triplizard wrote:
Annwn wrote:

Wow congrats man! When did you find that? I was browsing Gumtree just the other day for one
*** WTB - Orgon Systems Enigiser ***
Please get in touch. Can also trade!

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”