EMS Synthi waiting list

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: EMS Synthi waiting list

Post by papz » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:59 am

No
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:46 am

Unlike the 208's card slot, the prestopatch doesn't allow extra circuits because the power rails are not present on it, it's a parallel matrix connection only. But I have some Synthi expanding projects on the bench for 2020, more soon ;)

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

nickbaba
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nickbaba » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:25 am

oooOOOOoooo!

:popcorn:

That can only be good news, Papz!

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:23 pm

Great news! Last January I was #71 on the waiting list for a VCS3. This January I’m #69. So I only have 34 and 1/2 years to go. Anyone wanna buy my spot in line?
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:05 am

Gringo Starr wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:23 pm
Great news! Last January I was #71 on the waiting list for a VCS3. This January I’m #69. So I only have 34 and 1/2 years to go. Anyone wanna buy my spot in line?
Hopefully Robins clone will take care of your children.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:56 am

MindMachine wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:05 am
Gringo Starr wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:23 pm
Hopefully Robins clone will take care of your children.
Unfortunately I didn’t have children but maybe my nephews. :)

sleestack808
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sleestack808 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Is there a way to make a bandpass filter on the synthi? Like inverting the signal? Sending it back though itself perhaps? Thanks

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:03 am

To invert a signal patch a pin to the meter column and patch the scope output to a hi level input with a jack cable, the inverted signal is then available on the corresponding input channel row and you can patch it together with the filter output to the output channel.

klang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by klang » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:50 am

papz wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:46 am
Unlike the 208's card slot, the prestopatch doesn't allow extra circuits because the power rails are not present on it, it's a parallel matrix connection only. But I have some Synthi expanding projects on the bench for 2020, more soon ;)
Interested in any developments, I was hoping to take my 2016 ( i think ) vcs3 and tap it into euro rack for modulation and centralize it as a core with other euro sequencing exotica around it but I have yet to find an option that's available in reality, the Digitania presto matrix for the new Vcs3 with mk1 matrix seem unobtainable ( and respect he has a ton of other shit to be doing ) and i also figure a better solution would be to have the connector on the back somehow and that can connector into a lead and then connect the other end to some matrix in Euro rack format .Euro rack to Ems module ?

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:54 am

Any Digitana Matrix Interface would work, even if the panel labeling is not 100% matching, it's passive signal routing only.
A breakout connector can be added to the back of the VCS3, my own one belonged to Steve from Digitana before, he added a D-Sub connector to the rear wired in parallel with the matrix, like the prestopatch.

The problem with matrix interfacing with eurorack or other gear is the voltages used in the VCS3 are quite low, therefore incoming signals should be attenuated and outgoing ones should be amplified for comfortable use.
Besides this, the oscillators track approximately -0.32V/oct, yes, minus, ie a positive CV of +1V only patched directly into the matrix will lower the frequency by almost 3 octaves. External CV should rather be patched to the oscillators via the input channels amps, which are inverting.

vcs3matrixinterface.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:46 am

papz wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:03 am
To invert a signal patch a pin to the meter column and patch the scope output to a hi level input with a jack cable, the inverted signal is then available on the corresponding input channel row and you can patch it together with the filter output to the output channel.
Very happy to have seen this tip, thank you.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:59 pm

papz wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:46 am
But I have some Synthi expanding projects on the bench for 2020, more soon ;)
:clap: :nana:

klang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by klang » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:42 am

papz wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:54 am
Any Digitana Matrix Interface would work, even if the panel labeling is not 100% matching, it's passive signal routing only.
A breakout connector can be added to the back of the VCS3, my own one belonged to Steve from Digitana before, he added a D-Sub connector to the rear wired in parallel with the matrix, like the prestopatch.
The problem with matrix interfacing with eurorack or other gear is the voltages used in the VCS3 are quite low, therefore incoming signals should be attenuated and outgoing ones should be amplified for comfortable use.
Besides this, the oscillators track approximately -0.32V/oct, yes, minus, ie a positive CV of +1V only patched directly into the matrix will lower the frequency by almost 3 octaves. External CV should rather be patched to the oscillators via the input channels amps, which are inverting.

vcs3matrixinterface.jpg
thanks for the info , a part of the eurorack system i am designing here is specifically to attenuate and deal with these differences in the vcs3 and so i can control the synthi ok , i just need more than the 3 cv inputs i have right now on the back and a way to tap the vcs3 a bit deeper with odd euro cv sequencers and lfos etc. I may just make up some pin cables to mini jack leads and do it that way as on some level its easier.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:29 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:56 am

Unfortunately I didn’t have children but maybe my nephews. :)
Same boat here :boat:. We are both fortunate in some ways and unfortunate in others.

That is a brutal wait list.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:17 pm

Hello, everyone, I have not posted on the forum in quite some time. I talked to Robin today and he told me I was number 29 in the VCS3 list. I started at 125. So he has made 96 since I sent him my check. That is quite a lot of handmade units (which obviously includes wood making of course).

People on this forum need to realize that Robin has a day job too and that he is running a bed and breakfast too.

The 'Clone' theory. Really people that is just rude. I am sure he has something in mind for the future of EMS.

Also, for those of you who make clone machines, why don't you just make your circuit boards with pots that are to be mounted onto the board via
pretty much all of Eurorack, Buchla, and maybe some Serge clones. This would eliminate the wiring harness altogether. I have experience in the wiring harness manufacturing industry. I worked for Packard Electric. They made harnesses for all GM vehicles. You see the wiring harness for automobiles is largely done with multiple people. Using wiring harnesses with handlooms is tedious and a very time-consuming endeavor and also an obsolete way to make a circuit.

I also want to add that Robin takes time off. He will be off for a month very soon. So I will stay at 29 for another month.

So be patient. and don't make rude jabs at a person who is very honest, nice and is transparent in his business practices.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:46 pm

jfloftin wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:17 pm
Hello, everyone, I have not posted on the forum in quite some time. I talked to Robin today
People on this forum need to realize that Robin has a day job too and that he is running a bed and breakfast too.
I also want to add that Robin takes time off. He will be off for a month very soon. So I will stay at 29 for another month.
So be patient. and don't make rude jabs at a person who is very honest, nice and is transparent in his business practices.
Well said. Thank you for sharing your insights.

triplizard
Common Wiggler

Post by triplizard » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:00 pm

jfloftin wrote:
Interesting that he has a day job. Given how in demand Synthi's appear to be I would think he could take on two or three assistants, ramp production up to, say, 15 - 20 a month, raise the price by a thousand pounds or so, and still sell every single one he makes. (Although I imagine he has had those thoughts himself at some point and doesn't do that for his own reasons.)

I was #29 or so on the VCS3 list around mid-last year, which was up from #37 a year earlier. By his estimate I would be nearing the top of the list mid-next year - hope that's still the case!

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:50 pm

I don't wanna come off odd but does anyone know how old Robin is?
I assume he won't make synths until he's 100

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:51 pm

Robin has an assistant.
He runs his own company like he wants to as a gentleman and is happy with.
Why should he ramp production up and bring stress and pressure ? It's more a matter of love and passion than a business.
I can understand the basic consumer used to speedy industrial mass production and immediate availability will find it weird, but EMS is not that and hopefully never will. If it becomes big, it will stop being great.

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:09 pm

papz wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:51 pm
Robin has an assistant.
He runs his own company like he wants to as a gentleman and is happy with.
Why should he ramp production up and bring stress and pressure ? It's more a matter of love and passion than a business.
I can understand the basic consumer used to speedy industrial mass production and immediate availability will find it weird, but EMS is not that and hopefully never will. If it becomes big, it will stop being great.
Thank you Papz. I couldn't have said it any better... Also, you read my mind (are you telepathic)?

If any of the above are angry for something faster look for an alternative...

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm

jfloftin wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:09 pm
If any of the above are angry for something faster look for an alternative...
I don't think anyone who NEEDS a Synthi is going to be put on a years long waiting list hoping to get one. This is essentially all people willing to wait for something they use as a hobby.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:49 pm

If anyone NEEDS a Synthi and can't wait, used ones are immediately available all the time.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:13 pm

jfloftin wrote:
Hello, everyone, I have not posted on the forum in quite some time. I talked to Robin today and he told me I was number 29 in the VCS3 list. I started at 125. So he has made 96 since I sent him my check. That is quite a lot of handmade units (which obviously includes wood making of course).

The 'Clone' theory. Really people that is just rude. I am sure he has something in mind for the future of EMS.

Also, for those of you who make clone machines, why don't you just make your circuit boards with pots that are to be mounted onto the board via
pretty much all of Eurorack, Buchla, and maybe some Serge clones. This would eliminate the wiring harness altogether. I have experience in the wiring harness manufacturing industry. I worked for Packard Electric. They made harnesses for all GM vehicles. You see the wiring harness for automobiles is largely done with multiple people. Using wiring harnesses with handlooms is tedious and a very time-consuming endeavor and also an obsolete way to make a circuit.

Not sure if I’m one that comment is directed at but I wasn’t taking a rude jab at anyone. I’m well aware of Robins situation and have no expectations of getting it sooner than the 10+ years I’ve always heard about. I was just making fun of my situation and if it came off as a rude jab that certainly wasn’t my intention.

synthfanatic
Common Wiggler

Post by synthfanatic » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:31 pm

I submitted an order in April, 2002 and kept in touch with Robin over the years and finally received my order in July, 2012. Trust me, when you receive your handmade Synthi A or VCS3, the wait will have been worth it!

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:33 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:13 pm
jfloftin wrote:

Not sure if I’m one that comment is directed at but I wasn’t taking a rude jab at anyone. I’m well aware of Robins situation and have no expectations of getting it sooner than the 10+ years I’ve always heard about. I was just making fun of my situation and if it came off as a rude jab that certainly wasn’t my intention.
Thank you very much for your clarity on your situation with EMS Cornwall. I would suggest that you get a saved search going on eBay & Reverb for one. You may come across one that could get you by for now until your number comes up. You could then sell the unit that you got for a reasonable price to fund the new unit. Just my two cents on your current situation with Mr. Wood.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”