EMS Synthi waiting list

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

synthfanatic
Common Wiggler

Re: EMS Synthi waiting list

Post by synthfanatic » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:05 pm

Pretty sure all the 1970's bands back in the day used to tour with the Synthi - Roxy Music, David Bowie, Hawkwind, Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd...

Recently, Thomas Lehn, Merzbow, Alessandro Cortini, Aphex Twin tour with their Synthis, just to name a few...

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:16 am

My point was that it’s very likely that only 10% of synthi owners and potential buyers are taking them out on tour. How many musicians as a whole actually go out on a tour anyways? 10-20% if that?

I wasn’t saying that nobody takes synthis out on tour. I was simply making a point that there was zero reason for someone to call another member ignorant.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:52 am

I play gigs with my Synthi too .. taken in on airplanes several times.
So I guess you're pretty off, Gringo Starr
Gringo Starr wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:16 am
My point was that it’s very likely that only 10% of synthi owners and potential buyers are taking them out on tour. How many musicians as a whole actually go out on a tour anyways? 10-20% if that?
Whats your point dude?
Only 10-20% of worlds population is handicapped.. so abolish wheelchairs?!??!
hilarious

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:38 pm

Portabella wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:52 am
Gringo Starr wrote:
Whats your point dude?
hilarious
My point was clear but I’m not surprised you didn’t get it.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:46 am

Gringo Starr wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:38 pm
Portabella wrote:
Gringo Starr wrote:
Whats your point dude?
hilarious
My point was clear but I’m not surprised you didn’t get it.
Look, we got some offensive douch over here who thinks he's better than someone else :help: ;)

captnapalm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captnapalm » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:01 pm

Portabella wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:46 am
Gringo Starr wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:38 pm
Portabella wrote:

jfloftin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jfloftin » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:22 pm

jfloftin wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:17 pm

People on this forum need to realize that Robin has a day job too and that he is running a bed and breakfast too.
This thread has been slow but I wanted to clarify my statement above. That is totally incorrect, Robin has no "day job" running a bed and breakfast too. I referred to it in an email to him and he said that he doesn't have a "bed and breakfast" business at all. I saw a thing on the internet about a bed and breakfast at the Trendeal Barn in Ladock, Cornwall and I assumed he ran it. I was totally wrong! I also assume that he only does EMS activities. That is a good thing BTW...

Here is a link to that Bed and Breakfast if you are interested in visiting and having a vacation there:

Trendeal Barn Ladock, Cornwall

MarkSinister
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MarkSinister » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:25 pm

As part of the Dutchy of Cornwall Trendeal Barn is owned by Prince Charles. Perhaps he has an EMS Synthi?

seditionary
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seditionary » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:19 am

seditionary wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:24 am
i'd be up for a clone
up for a clone of the case i mean :)

seditionary
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seditionary » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:20 am

MarkSinister wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:25 pm
As part of the Dutchy of Cornwall Trendeal Barn is owned by Prince Charles. Perhaps he has an EMS Synthi?
bed and synthi !

seditionary
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seditionary » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:22 am

if you find a case (or if someone clones the case), is Robin still making the KS keyboard for the AKS?

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:46 am

seditionary wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:22 am
if you find a case (or if someone clones the case), is Robin still making the KS keyboard for the AKS?
No

seditionary
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seditionary » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:02 am

Portabella wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:46 am
seditionary wrote:
No
Ah dang. Do you have the keyboard? You could record a sequence into them? I wonder why he stopped making the keyboard?

seditionary
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seditionary » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:05 am

Ceres wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:49 am
seditionary wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:24 am
i'd be up for a clone
Me too! Not at all interested in the original or the expensive clones. I think those are all great but for what it is, I’m not remotely willing to drop that kind of cash. I’d be happy to have a fun, cheap compromise that is somewhere in the ballpark.
i meant a clone of the case :)

the ems synths sound amazing. robin told me he is building the new ones with carbon based resistors still!

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:33 am

The few new Cornwall Synthis I've seen have metal film resistors, as on this pic.
Anyway, the difference in sound between carbon and metal film resistors is undoubtedly located between the listener's ears rather than in the circuit. ;)

Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:44 pm

seditionary wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:02 am
Portabella wrote:
seditionary wrote:
No
Ah dang. Do you have the keyboard? You could record a sequence into them? I wonder why he stopped making the keyboard?
Yes you can record sequences into it. He stopped making them because the KS has many, many obsolete ICs in it

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:27 pm

seditionary wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:20 am
bed and synthi !
Every breakfast needs a Synthi! ;)

Rudloe
Common Wiggler

Post by Rudloe » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:39 am

What is the current waiting time?

jfloftin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jfloftin » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:02 am

Rudloe wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:39 am
I got on the VCS3 list in 2012. I was #129. This past spring upon possibly getting a Spartanite case, I switched to the Synthi 'A' list. I was #15 on that list in May. This month, Robin informed me I am #10 on the Synthi list now. I did not get the Spartanite case in the Spring but did get one in November so I finally have a Spartanite case to put mine in. I would like a VCS3 but the dang thing would take up so much room in my little studio so I am glad to be getting a new Synthi 'A'. I haven't decided quite yet on the mods I want but that will come later. So I have been on the list for 8 years. Robin didn't start making new ones (VCS3 or Synthi 'A') regularly till 2011. So in answer to your question it can be as much as 12 years and as little as 10 it depends on when you got on the list and Robin's output. It looks like he has had a fairly busy year this year in that he made 5 Synthi 'A's since May so I need to really start getting my funds together pretty quickly! (He may have just ramped up Synthi production so he can possibly stop making them and concentrate on VCS3s but that is only my assumption).

Shufflehound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Shufflehound » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:08 am

Does anybody know what a Cornwall VCS3/Synthi A goes for second hand compared to a Mark 1?

I've always wanted a VCS3 ever since I played for hours with one at EMS some years back, but I can't justify the cost without making a good guess what I could sell it for in case I need the money back. (Obviously wouldn't be a short term investment. I'd be making sounds and music with it for decades given I don't fall into financial trouble).
Last edited by Shufflehound on Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rudloe
Common Wiggler

Post by Rudloe » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:52 pm

jfloftin wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:02 am
Rudloe wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:39 am
I got on the VCS3 list in 2012. I was #129. This past spring upon possibly getting a Spartanite case, I switched to the Synthi 'A' list. I was #15 on that list in May. This month, Robin informed me I am #10 on the Synthi list now. I did not get the Spartanite case in the Spring but did get one in November so I finally have a Spartanite case to put mine in. I would like a VCS3 but the dang thing would take up so much room in my little studio so I am glad to be getting a new Synthi 'A'. I haven't decided quite yet on the mods I want but that will come later. So I have been on the list for 8 years. Robin didn't start making new ones (VCS3 or Synthi 'A') regularly till 2011. So in answer to your question it can be as much as 12 years and as little as 10 it depends on when you got on the list and Robin's output. It looks like he has had a fairly busy year this year in that he made 5 Synthi 'A's since May so I need to really start getting my funds together pretty quickly! (He may have just ramped up Synthi production so he can possibly stop making them and concentrate on VCS3s but that is only my assumption).
A decade... that is quite simply insane.

There's every chance i'll be dead by then lol.

I plan on getting one before I die though, even if it is an older fully serviced model.

Thanks for the reply and have fun with yours mate.

jfloftin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jfloftin » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:53 pm

Rudloe wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:52 pm

A decade... that is quite simply insane.

There's every chance i'll be dead by then lol.

I plan on getting one before I die though, even if it is an older fully serviced model.

Thanks for the reply and have fun with yours mate.
I have sympathy for what you are saying above. It may seem insane but as they say "it is what it is". You got to look at it though, that wiring harness is labor intensive to say the least. Are there ways around it? Yes, but I don't think Robin would do it, I just don't see it. He is not going to alter the base unit of VCS3s and Synthi 'A's. What he is doing is really a cottage industry. With that in mind, the speed at which units are built is slow mostly because of the wiring harness. There are two different ones, one for the VCS3, the other for the Synthi 'A'. Actually Robin started taking checks for new units in the late 90s but had to finish the run of "Soundbeams" before he could concentrate on building Synthi 'A's or VCS3s. He didn't start production of them till 2011. So there was the built in "back log" of customers. I have a friend who sent his check in the late 90s and did not get his Synthi 'A' till 2012. I was jealous and got on the VCS3 list as soon as I could (2012). At that time, Robin was not adding more to the Synthi 'A' list (and trust me, I begged). For me that is unfortunate in that I could have gotten on the Synthi 'A' list sooner just specifying to Robin that I would just get a case later (which is what I have done).

As for getting an old/used unit, good luck, it's going to cost you upwards of £7,500 or more for a used one (and that is if you are lucky, they typically go for much more than that used!). You could contact "Tone Tweakers" right now. They have a silver faced Synthi AKS for sale right now. I bet it is around $20,000 like the last one... Luckily as you can see by my avatar, I already have one, so I am not in a hurry to get one. I'll tell you this, the silver faced units are good. They stay in tune and scale better than the older white faced ones. I think the silver faced ones had the dual can transistors for osc 1 and 2. I know my old silver faced AKS had the dual can transistors and it tracked and scaled fairly well all things considered.

Off topic, you know, a new Synthi base unit is rather expensive at £5,950 but the new small Moog Modular Model 10 is $9,950 (about £7,400). Note, the Moog Modular Model 10 is a limited edition so, once they sell out, they're gone...

seditionary
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seditionary » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:27 am

papz wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:33 am
The few new Cornwall Synthis I've seen have metal film resistors, as on this pic.
Anyway, the difference in sound between carbon and metal film resistors is undoubtedly located between the listener's ears rather than in the circuit. ;)

interesting !!! here is what robin wrote back in 2015 when i asked him about it “Concerning the parts we are using for the current production these are kept as faithful as possible to what was used in the 1970s. We do use carbon resistors and the transformers are wound to the original specification.”

seditionary
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seditionary » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:27 am

that was 2015 though, maybe it is a newer update

seditionary
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seditionary » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:32 am

Portabella wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:44 pm
seditionary wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:02 am
Portabella wrote:
seditionary wrote:
No
Yes you can record sequences into it. He stopped making them because the KS has many, many obsolete ICs in it
ah! that makes sense. thanks for your reply :) 🎹

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”