Generative Ambient

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

lauprellim
Common Wiggler

Generative Ambient

Post by lauprellim » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 pm

In the limited time I have (18 month baby at home, full time job teaching music theory) I’ve been tinkering with self-patching Magneto and utilizing more of the X side of Marbles. Here’s one of the results — I just let the synth sit there for a half hour while it did its own thing!

There are a few nice moments like 4:50 — 5:15.

http://theoryofpaul.net/eurorack/ambient-patch-02.mp3
399ABBB9-74E6-4692-B1DF-AC4C9A6500D6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have a good trip! — Karlheinz Stockhausen

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Generative Ambient

Post by Fog Door » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:16 pm

This is actually terrific. I think there are a lot of nice moments and if anyone is umming and ahhing about sitting through 30 minutes of a generative ambient patch, this recording is a good deal more dynamic than the title, ambient-patch-02, suggests, 13:06 - 15:25, just. fucking.wow. I don't know a god damn thing about music theory and its hard to tell how much of your post is modest downplay but I think this track is really, really good :sb: really wish there was a beard stroking smiley, but Slayer Badger will have to do.

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:57 pm

Yeah it's great. Full of moments when something evolves above the surface. It's odd knowing it's 'just' a patch - kind of the creator's hands deep in the clockwork.
Love that tape glitch thing.
..the vessel was heavier because “dead sheep do not have the same weight as the live ones”

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fog Door » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:33 am

It's odd knowing it's 'just' a patch - kind of the creator's hands deep in the clockwork.
It is odd, and I would be interested to read Lauprellim's thoughts about how connected he feels to the end product. Or was it just all about the process? If Lauprellim had not been so transparent about his process, I'm not sure I would have noticed it was generative, it could definitely pass as a curated track imo. Is that important? I don't know. Knowing it is "just a patch" has not in any sense diminished my enjoyment in listening to it. I'll be honest, if I encountered this track in the wild and it had a pretentious title and some esoteric artwork (and maybe a tiny bit of work in post) I would be going ******* nuts about it and adding Lauprellim to my list of artists to watch etc, as it is, I'm reduced to merely waxing lyrical :lol:

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:59 am

This is expertly done, really fun to listen to!

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 am

Fog Door wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:33 am
It is odd, and I would be interested to read Lauprellim's thoughts about how connected he feels to the end product. Or was it just all about the process? If Lauprellim had not been so transparent about his process, I'm not sure I would have noticed it was generative, it could definitely pass as a curated track imo. Is that important? I don't know. Knowing it is "just a patch" has not in any sense diminished my enjoyment in listening to it. I'll be honest, if I encountered this track in the wild and it had a pretentious title and some esoteric artwork (and maybe a tiny bit of work in post) I would be going ******* nuts about it and adding Lauprellim to my list of artists to watch etc, as it is, I'm reduced to merely waxing lyrical :lol:
Good point FogDoor - mentally I was comparing it to any proposed AI generated music (which I dont like the idea of) - though this is more systems music. Lauprellim set the rules and put them in action and used his knowledge to allow tuneful ratios, and he must have made choices on filter settings, pitches etc. But then you could set up AI to work from similar parameters.
Lauprellim: were you tempted to fiddle with it afterwards in a DAW? - or did you set a rule that that wasn't allowed?

Would have made a great soundtrack to Tarkovsky's Solaris.
..the vessel was heavier because “dead sheep do not have the same weight as the live ones”

lauprellim
Common Wiggler

Post by lauprellim » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:02 pm

I want to thank you all for your kind comments. I really appreciate any feedback.

To answer a few questions: I wasn't tempted to fiddle with this in a DAW except to fade in and out at the end. My DAW skills are not that great anyway (we have undergraduates here who can run rings around me in Logic).

Do I feel connected to the end product? In many ways, yes. First off, I feel a sense of wonder that the patch actually WORKS. It's quite interesting that it has a shape. It was a challenge designing something that seemed musical over different time-spans. The process of patching was very rewarding, and I needed to solve several problems -- not the least of which was figuring out Magneto a little better.

As far as the esoteric title goes -- thanks for bringing that up. I find it difficult to come up with titles and I go into synth-land to de-stress after long days of hard work and child care. My brain just doesn't have much bandwidth left for nice titles, but I should probably come up with something better. If anybody wants to suggest a name, I'll strongly consider it.

Here's a very short video I made today. I set the patch up in our lobby during an audition day and anyone was welcome to come up and listen. It ran for about 5 hours without any glitches. I'm relatively new to this so it was fun working up a patch for 4 days and then putting it out in front of the public.

http://theoryofpaul.net/eurorack/ambien ... tation.mp4

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fog Door » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:43 pm

I find it difficult to come up with titles and I go into synth-land to de-stress after long days of hard work and child care. My brain just doesn't have much bandwidth left for nice titles
I totally understand why dreaming up track titles is some way down your list of priorities! :lol:

Great little clip. I know the recorded piece quite well now, so it is a little bit strange to see the modular running the patch, even though I always knew it was generative. I'm still fairly new to modular myself, so I'm in no position to judge it as a patch, I only know it is certainly far beyond my own current skill level! As a piece of music, it is terrific, I think it could have been improved in a DAW and yet inevitably I think it would also have lost something as a result :)

lauprellim
Common Wiggler

Post by lauprellim » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:15 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:43 pm
I think it could have been improved in a DAW and yet inevitably I think it would also have lost something as a result :)
Thanks so much for the helpful feedback. I agree with you — there are definitely things that could be improved in the DAW. I have no ideological reason for not using those techniques, it’s just a matter of time right now. I’m hoping that at some point I can return to the master recordings I made of the patch, and release something on an album when the time is right!

Return to “Your Tunes Here”