Dusty Patches modular videos

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Dusty Patches modular videos

Post by Dusty Patches » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:32 am

Hey everybody! I've been documenting my modular adventure for a couple months now, and would love to share it with you here.

Here is my latest.

[video][/video]

A patch so nice I used it twice - I tweaked a few settings but all the cables were left in place.

[video][/video]

Trigga
Common Wiggler

Post by Trigga » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:24 pm

great! love to see the bitbox in action!

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks Trigga!

[video][/video]

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Great tracks! :hail:

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Thu May 11, 2017 11:35 am

Thank you Dcramer!

This one features Loquelic Iteritas and some guitar playin'.

[video][/video]

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Wed May 31, 2017 11:56 am

Been on a bit of a spree lately. I recently acquired Loquelic Iteritas, Three Sisters, Pam's New Workout, Choices, Pressure Points, and Ataraxic Translatron. All put to good use here. This is also the first time I synced the OP-1 to the modular, which worked flawlessly and was lots of fun.

[video][/video]

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:06 pm

Been learning how to use the Octatrack.

[video][/video]

tonymasiello
Common Wiggler

Post by tonymasiello » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:51 am

Nice to see some modular and guitar mixed together. I'm hoping to do the same when I get my rack filled in...

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:20 pm

It's nice to have a mix of timbres, synthesized and organic sounds. Currently dreaming about a rack of solenoid controller modules to blur the line between synthetic/organic...

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Here is another track. Shortlist modules used: fxbox, Loquelic Iteritas, Braids, Clouds, Ataxaric Translatron.

[video][/video]

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Dusty Patches modular videos

Post by soggybag » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:17 am

Dusty Patches wrote:Hey everybody! I've been documenting my modular adventure for a couple months now, and would love to share it with you here.

Here is my latest.

[video][/video]

A patch so nice I used it twice - I tweaked a few settings but all the cables were left in place.

[video][/video]
Very cool!

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks soggybag!

Back with another. First real patch with the Eloquencer.

[video][/video]

Karabekian
Common Wiggler

Post by Karabekian » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:50 pm

Some really nice tracks going on here. Liked the second one a lot.

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Amazing! Cool to see your sound progressing. Those octatrack vids are so nice i almost regret selling it :)
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Thank you Karabekian and SB-SIX! I do very much dig the Octatrack, really need to spend some more time on it!

Here is my latest vid.

[video][/video]

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:49 pm

Back with another video with the Octatrack.

[video][/video]

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:24 pm

This is my latest track, eurorack sequenced by Octatrack with a little Digitone.

[video][/video]

Abridged Patch Notes

I'd like to highlight the parts of this patch that I'm interacting with and the different sounds you hear. I'm going to leave out the nitty gritty details but please ask me anything if you want to know something specific.

Let's start with the modular synth. There are 4 voices sequenced by the Octatrack via the QMI2. Loquelic Iteritas and Braids are the oscillators for the two lead synths. I have the joystick patched to DAMP and FOLD on the Loquelic. Braids goes through Clouds in delay mode and I'm tweaking the feedback at times. The chippy bass synth is the Ataraxic Translatron. The fourth voice is Basimilus Iteritas for the tuned synth snare sound. All these voices are routed through the LOW, CENTRE, and HIGH inputs on the Three Sisters filter. Pam's New Workout is sending a slow LFO to the FM input. During the slow heavy part I'm turning up the QUALITY (resonance) and messing with the SPAN (bandwidth) which sweeps through each of the voices in a really pleasing way.

The Morphagene is supplying a constant stream of glitchy random animal noises, a must-have for any discerning musician. The Beatstep Pro is patched to the 1010music fxbox (conveniently through one 1/8 inch TRS cable passing MIDI data) providing 16 pads of tactile effects control. I especially enjoy the gigantic reverb and the ping pong delay.

Onto the Octatrack. Aside from sequencing the modular synth, it is playing back a lot of tasty samples. For percussion I created conga, bongo, and drum patterns. I used the Patterning 2 iPad app. The guitar used was a Kiesel Vader V8 through an Axe FX II preamp and sampled into the Octatrack. The final half of the song has some clean FM voices from the Digitone coming in, sequenced by the remaining 4 MIDI channels of the Octatrack.

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:09 am

Here's another track, again with modular and Octatrack.

[video][/video]

Abridged Patch Notes

I'm going to highlight the parts of this patch I'm interacting with and the different sounds you hear. I'm going to gloss over the finer details but if there's anything you'd like to know, please ask me!

Let's start with the modular synth. There are 4 voices sequenced by the Octatrack via the QMI2. Loquelic Iteritas and Braids are the oscillators for the two lead synths. I have the joystick patched to DAMP and FOLD on the Loquelic. At times I'm flicking the Loquelic from Phase Modulation (the fuzzy bass sound) to VOSIM (the hollow, squareish sound). Braids goes through Clouds in delay mode and I'm controlling the FEEDBACK with an expression pedal, utilized with the A177-2 Foot Interference. The chippy arcade synth is the Ataraxic Translatron. The fourth voice is Basimilus Iteritas for the banging kick. These voices are routed through the LOW, CENTRE, and HIGH inputs on the Three Sisters filter. Ataraxic and Basimilus are combined into LOW, then Braids into CENTRE and Loquelic into HIGH. Pam's New Workout is sending a slow LFO to the FM input. I'm messing with the Three Sisters QUALITY (resonance) and FREQUENCY which sweeps through the three bands of Three Sisters and fades parts in and out in a most pleasing way. There's also a slow LFO patched to FM to give things more movement. In the beginning and end, I'm messing with the Quadratt which opens the Loquelic and Braids Optomix gates a little higher for a brighter tone. Saving the best for last, the A-178 Theremin is patched to Loquelic B pitch input for maximum screamage.

The Beatstep Pro is patched to the 1010music fxbox (conveniently through one 1/8 inch TRS cable passing MIDI data) providing 16 pads of tactile effects control. There's a few chosen FX patched to Pressure Points for modulating with CV. They are bitcrusher with resolution CV, ring modulator with frequency CV, filter with frequency CV, and delay. Press play and rhythmically flail at your pads, gently caress your contacts, create something beautiful and destroy it.

Onto the Octatrack. The sequencer on the OT is pretty fab in my opinion. Apply arpeggiator liberally. There are two patterns that I'm switching between. I love to mess with the TEMPO when I'm jamming. In the first pattern I recorded some drums from my OP-1 at 30 bpm on the OT. Then on the other pattern I recorded another loop at 100 bpm. Pushing the TEMPO around these limits, and perhaps even beyond for a fleeting moment, was the idea of this piece.

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:49 pm

Here are a couple more tracks.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Dusty Patches modular videos

Post by Dusty Patches » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:39 am

Back with another video, Vidiot + Eurorack modular.

Return to “Your Tunes Here”