dead men don't - melodies, beats, serge, euro, 202 + patch notes

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

dead men don't - melodies, beats, serge, euro, 202 + patch notes

Post by beatcleaver » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:39 pm

This one's Euro, Serge and a modded 202. Making this track, I was amazed at how much millage you can get out of a single quantizer and I've just got the basic Doepfer one. I wrote some patch notes as best as I can remember below. Thanks for listening.

I used the lower half of the Doepfer Dual Quantizer A-156. The output was multed into two separate sample & hold modules (Doepfer again). Triggering each S&H with a different pattern of gates resulted in two similar but distinct melodic phrases that I could use for two separate voices.

The input to the quantizer was a mix of two envelopes and an offset from a gate. The two envelopes were one half of maths and a WMD multi-mode envelope. These were mixed in the middle section of maths with a gate that holds for a few steps (half a bar maybe). Both maths and the WMD are incredibly flexible in terms of shapes so while I did have to futz with it for quite a while, the amount of variation possible was more than I'd expected.

I had been messing around with some piano chords that I'd sampled and had these playing as a background. With the envelopes going into the quantizer I could change their shape, length, their mix relative to each either, the attenuation of each as well as overall offset and attenuation before hitting the CV input of the quantizer. That's quite a few variables to play with... and that's before we get into the patterns triggering the S&Hs described above. Eventually all of this yielded two melodic lines that seemed to move along with the chord changes. It was one of those holy shit moments when you're surprised at how well something comes together. I'd probably have an easier time with this kind of thing with a precision adder I guess. I really should try one.

The first voice fed from the S&H output is a Synth Tech E350 Morphing Terrarium. The Z output going through a Rare Waves Grendel Formant Filter. The vocal-ish wavetable from the E350 combines nicely with the vocal quality of the formant filter. There's a bunch of modulation into both but don't recall must of the detail at this point. Sounds like a lot of Xoac Batumi lfo's, some speeded up and down, the outputs gated through a VCA or logic module.

The second voice fed from the S&H is a Dixie II+ (saw I think) into a Dual Borg filter - both sides used, though the high pass is obviously more prominent. I think there was some FM'ing of the borg in some way. The cutoff was modulated with a mix of a Malekko Envelator and an attenuated Batumi lfo. The Dual Borg has a nice high pass that fizzles in and out.

These two voices sometimes overlap, sometimes not. The gate patterns for the volume envelopes were programmed into a Tip Top Trigger Riot. Four Trigger Riot patterns were mixed with some logic, resulting in two separate patterns. To turn these patterns on and off, each pattern goes into one side of a separate AND gate. The other side of each AND gate is the output from two buttons on an Anti Matter Launch Codes. This way you can use the buttons to turn on and off the stream of gates that make up the pattern. The buttons simply output a high gate when pressed (one of the modes anyhow). You can jam on the buttons and find patterns you like, then have the Launch Codes record and play them back once you give it a suitable clock.

The third voice or main lead line that comes around 1:30 in is a modified MC-202. Sounds a little different than a regular 202 due to FM'ing the filter with the oscillator. This also give it a tiny vocal quality with fits in well with the others. I fed it loads of CV from a cirklon for both the melody and modulation.

The drums are from pico drums. The second channel provides a steady kick while the first channel sample select cv is modulated heavily. The trigger pattern for the second channel is quite busy and each hit mostly triggers a different sample. It's subdued a bit by running it through a R*S Serge LPF. The trigger pattern is a few sequences from a Tip Top Trigger Riot, mixed together with some RYO logic gates.

The last part is the tweeter tickling, breathing resonance type of thing that shifts up and down throughout. That's a small two panel Serge I've had forever. It's a simple enough patch - mostly an NTO through a triple waveshaper, into a ResEQ with lots of high end. Maybe an extended range vcf accentuated the high end too. Something like that. It's not hard to make this kind of thing with many serge modules.

I think that's everything. I didn't know how to start it, so I looped the beginning in the puter with a little fade. Apart from that it was recorded live to two track as usual.

Cheers

(*) Not sure if the title is too obvious or too obscure :)

gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler

Re: dead men don't - melodies, beats, serge, euro, 202 + patch notes

Post by gis_sweden » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:07 am

:yay:
Well done! And thanks for the patch notes too.

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Re: dead men don't - melodies, beats, serge, euro, 202 + patch notes

Post by beatcleaver » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:00 pm

gis_sweden wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:07 am
:yay:
Well done! And thanks for the patch notes too.
cheers gis, if you like the patch notes I've done a few, here's a recent all serge one

the link in my sig has a few more. Thanks for listening :guinness:

Return to “Your Tunes Here”