Octatrack/x0xb0x/TR-606 Live Set

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Octatrack/x0xb0x/TR-606 Live Set

Post by th0mas » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:52 pm

I've put together a live set centered around a x0xb0x, TR-606, and Octatrack mk2. It's a ton of fun!

I wrote this remix for a contest and for part of my live set over the last couple nights:

You can hear more of my live set here:
https://soundcloud.com/gravitronic/2020-live-set

Using the octatrack finally clicked for me when I started approaching it as a "mixer with automatable FX", sending other patterns into it instead of spending a ton of time chopping audio and arranging samples in the editor. I am finding this approach to music making extremely fast and rewarding, to build a pattern on the 3 boxes, then start looping the first x0xb0x pattern, switch x0xb0x patterns and start a second synth part with different FX to take on a separate role in the track.

The x0xb0x OS is slightly modified - I fixed a MIDI timing bug that has existed for over 10 years on it, and I modified it to respond to CC #0 (BANK SELECTION) as well as program change messages to change patterns. This lets me sequence the x0xb0x pattern changes from the octatrack without having to tie octatrack "parts" with x0xb0x sequences.

When I play live I also run this through a bugbrand stereo compressor just to give it an extra "oomph".

Well.. I will. My first show is on March 3rd (3/03) in Ottawa. Hoping to book other sets after that.

The Expanding Man
Common Wiggler

Re: Octatrack/x0xb0x/TR-606 Live Set

Post by The Expanding Man » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:36 pm

How are you syncing the 606?

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:35 pm

x0xb0x!

When x0xb0x syncs to MIDI it emits DIN sync, when it syncs to DIN sync it emits MIDI clock. Or it can be master and emit both.

That being said, I'm running a custom firmware that fixes a MIDI clock race condition where it'd drop the first MIDI clock event and then run behind.

https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=154923

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:08 pm

Dude looking forward to Tuesday!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Return to “Your Tunes Here”