Terry Riley - In C - Modular synthesizer performance using a DIY module

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Terry Riley - In C - Modular synthesizer performance using a DIY module

Post by joeSeggiola » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:28 pm

The system implements five separate synth voices (shortly described further down), plus the eighth note pulse. CV/gate for every voice is provided by a custom-made module powered by Arduino (link below), which is controlled using manual buttons to advance through the 53 melodic patterns of "In C".

Code, circuit and info on GitHub

In CV dedicated thread in the DIY forum here

Bass (1) is from Minibrute 2 double VCO, with both on-board VCF and VCA controlled by the on-board ADSR. Mild resonance and Brute Factor are used to shape the tone.

Mid-bass (2) is from MFB OSC-02 third VCO. It is filtered by WMD/SSF Pole Zero with an ADSR envelope from Stages, which is also used to open a VCA in Veils.

Mid (3) is from MFB OSC-02 second VCO. It is filtered by Bastl Cinnamon in band-pass mode, with slight distortion (drive plus character). The AD envelope from Pico MOD modulates the VCF and open the VCA in Veils.

Mid-high (4) is from MFB OSC-02 first VCO. Maths CH1 is used to open the first LPG in LxD, sometimes configured like a normal AD envelope, other times like a ramp LFO. The output signal is sent through Pico DSP for a tempo-synced echo effect.

High (5) is a looping stage from Stages used as a VCO. It is not filtered. The VCA in Veils is controlled by the spare AD envelope on the Minibrute 2. Notes are occasionally randomly skipped, by filtering gates with a Branches clone module. The output signal is sent through Pico DSP for a tempo-synced echo effect.

The eighth note pulse is ModBox Skew LFO used as a VCO, passing through the resonant LPG in LxD opened with Maths CH4 (which is also used as a master clock signal). The S&H from ModBox is scaled in Stages and used to randomly change the pulse volume in Veils.

The audio mix is sent through a couple pedals for reverb and optical compressor. A stereo-widener VST is used to process the mono signal.

Download (Mp3 320kbps, 104MB)

:oops: I'd like to know if there's someone in EU with a better system and better skills that is interested in "playing" the In CV module. I can send my already built one for free, it'd be great for me to watch or hear a performance by someone else! Write me a private message, in case.
Last edited by joeSeggiola on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Be Sandy?
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Terry Riley - In C - Modular synthesizer performance using a DIY module

Post by Be Sandy? » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:43 pm

An In C module - awesome!

Haven't watched it all yet but great job.

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:50 pm

Be Sandy? wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:43 pm
An In C module - awesome!
Yep, I called it In CV obviously. :mrgreen:

I started a dedicated thread in the DIY forum. Also, I'd like to know if there's someone in EU with a better system and better skills that is interested in "playing" this module. I can send my already built one for free, it'd be great for me to watch or hear a performance by someone else! Write me a private message, in case.

:hail:

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:51 pm

Very cool - must have been tricky performing it.
I love it when it picks up around the 25 minute mark :sb:
..the vessel was heavier because “dead sheep do not have the same weight as the live ones”

lauprellim
Common Wiggler

Post by lauprellim » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:04 pm

Very cool. I really like what you did.

We did the piece at our school last month — I was the only synth player. Just made MIDI clips of all the loops and triggered them using a Push2. Changed some waveforms, envelopes, etc. here and there. But what you are doing is super.
Have a good trip! — Karlheinz Stockhausen

Return to “Your Tunes Here”