I shall critique your works! (if you want me to)

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

I shall critique your works! (if you want me to)

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:49 am

I had this idea.I thought it was about time I sat down and listened to some of the stuff all the wigglers around here made, and then I thought, maybe someone would be interested in feedback as well?

So if you would like me to check out your track, post a link here, I will listen back on a properly adjusted Genelec System and give you my harsh, honest and sincere evaluation.

If you think that idea sucks and what do you care about my opinion, I applaud your independence.

Every game needs rules, so...

Rules:
1. You may post a link to one and only one track here, it should be streamable and it should be your work and your upload. If there is some collaboration involved, that's fine, as long as you would consider yourself the main creator of the piece.
2. The post should come with Artist name, Track name, date of release and a genre! This will be taken into consideration for evaluation. There are no restrictions regarding genres.
3. No excuses! If you want to showcase your track, stand by it! Don't go "the bass kinda sucks, but..."
4. State, what you used to make the track. Cause we want to know and it's fun.

I guess that's all. Any of the aforementioned might change, cause there should always be room for improvement. If I were to change the rules, I will state so in an edit here and in a post down the line.

I hope you like the idea!

Love,
Lunatic

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Re: I shall critique your works! (if you want me to)

Post by synonymist » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:17 pm

LunaticSound wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:49 am
I had this idea.I thought it was about time I sat down and listened to some of the stuff all the wigglers around here made, and then I thought, maybe someone would be interested in feedback as well?

So if you would like me to check out your track, post a link here, I will listen back on a properly adjusted Genelec System and give you my harsh, honest and sincere evaluation.

If you think that idea sucks and what do you care about my opinion, I applaud your independence.

Every game needs rules, so...

Rules:
1. You may post a link to one and only one track here, it should be streamable and it should be your work and your upload. If there is some collaboration involved, that's fine, as long as you would consider yourself the main creator of the piece.
2. The post should come with Artist name, Track name, date of release and a genre! This will be taken into consideration for evaluation. There are no restrictions regarding genres.
3. No excuses! If you want to showcase your track, stand by it! Don't go "the bass kinda sucks, but..."
4. State, what you used to make the track. Cause we want to know and it's fun.

I guess that's all. Any of the aforementioned might change, cause there should always be room for improvement. If I were to change the rules, I will state so in an edit here and in a post down the line.

I hope you like the idea!

Love,
Lunatic
Hello. A Genelec system is an insufficient basis for such critique. What are your own qualifications?

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:21 pm

I agree. I have Genelec and ATC systems, that doesn't mean I have the qualification to critic someone's work, even though I've ben working as a recording engineer for the past 10 years.

However, if one were looking for some critical listening reviews then sure, its good to get as much feedback as possible.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:22 pm

I think people need to know who you are first. What kind of experience and qualification you have and what the criterias are that you're reviewing. Is it recording / mixing / mastering skills, musical complexity, originality, whatever?

a_b_d
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a_b_d » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:43 pm

What a kind offer! I'm traveling but will post something later.

(Can we lighten up a bit? Whatever "qualifications" you're looking for won't reduce the inherent subjectivity of this exercise in any meaningful way.)

Silentnotes
Common Wiggler

Post by Silentnotes » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 pm

I want to play.

Artist: Sava Botic
Track: Audioskop
Genre: Experimental Ambient Textural
Release date: December 2019
Gear used: Eurorack, AnalogKeys, Rhodes, Percussions, GuitarPedals, ContactMicrophones..

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:51 pm

a_b_d wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:43 pm
What a kind offer! I'm traveling but will post something later.

(Can we lighten up a bit? Whatever "qualifications" you're looking for won't reduce the inherent subjectivity of this exercise in any meaningful way.)
(If you are content with that, then you're all set. Sincerely, I wish you a useful outcome in this exercise.)

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:05 pm

LunaticSound wrote:
That's a nice offer as being critiqued is important. However it would be nice to hear some of your music first so we know exactly what kind of ear we're being critiqued by.

Silentnotes wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 pm
I want to play.

Artist: Sava Botic
Track: Audioskop
That works. Sounds good to me.
Last edited by Gringo Starr on Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:07 pm

:lolspew: :popcorn:

EDIT: alright, this thread turned out to be cooler than I expected - especially now that it's not in the Eurorack forums. Kudos to the OP for actually dedicating some time to the critiques - not at all what I expected.
Last edited by Ivo Ivanov on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Post by Rigo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:18 pm

LunaticSound wrote:
Isn't that why this subforum exists: https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fog Door » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:27 pm

Likewise if anyone would like their work totally fucking torn down and ridiculed after only the most cursory of listens (maybe less than 10 seconds total, skimming through) via laptop speakers, give me a shout ;)

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm

I'll play. :)

Artist - Screen Phoenix
Track - Eyble
Date of release - Jan 2020.
Genre - Electronic.

Hit me! :hihi:

Fog Door - feel free to do so! :mrgreen:

I think some of you guys take this too seriously (just my opinion). Regardless of whether or not the original poster here has a fantastic system or has golden ears or whatever, it can be interesting to hear someone else's opinion on your stuff. It's a generous offer, in my opinion!
Last edited by Daisuk on Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:33 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:27 pm
Likewise if anyone would like their work totally fucking torn down and ridiculed after only the most cursory of listens (maybe less than 10 seconds total, skimming through) via laptop speakers, give me a shout ;)
A good point.. Just because you have a serious system, doesn't mean it should be the 'final' playback system. Listening on various different systems will add to the feedback.

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fog Door » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:42 pm

Just because you have a serious system, doesn't mean it should be the 'final' playback system
Quite right, always worth checking how your mix sounds via phone/laptop speakers and of course, lower quality audio will sound a lot worse on a high end system!

wonkychris
Common Wiggler

Post by wonkychris » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:24 pm

Fuck it im game :-)

Artist: Wonkychops Disco Pants
Track: Thinking About You
Genre: Techtronica
Instruments: Eurorack. Synthtech E370, hexinverter mutant bd9, hats. Pico Drums. Fracture. intellijel quadra. RYO Logic. Clock dividers. Doepfer spring. LPGs. Rene 2. Trigger Riot. Phonogene!!!

I love how this track came out. Don't really know what it is or how it occured but its cool. BAss sounds well good :guinness:

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:10 pm

This seriously is the wrong forum for that...
Or you should rename it that you would like to critique
Music made with Eurorack..

Edit: already been moved, sorry..
(This thread started in the Eurorack forum)

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:42 pm
Just because you have a serious system, doesn't mean it should be the 'final' playback system
Quite right, always worth checking how your mix sounds via phone/laptop speakers and of course, lower quality audio will sound a lot worse on a high end system!
Good point!

Honestly, I’m really frustrated by the giant range in quality of speakers, and I have no clue how to deal with it. I could use some pointers. Music producers usually seem to just over-compress everything... and maybe that is the answer in some ways.

Recording with decent monitors in a mid sized room, I end up playing the resonant frequency of the room. Hearing it played back in the same room, oh boy it bumps. I take it into the car and it stinks... play it on my laptop it stinks too... listen to it with headphones and I’m wondering what I was doing recording it...

Recording with my headphone seems better, but then if I play back on my laptop I can’t even hear the bass at all... I hate telling people, oh listen only with headphones! I’m not tryin to be a snob, I just can’t MIX good! Ha ha

Actually I liked testing tracks out in the car the most, but now I moved to Europe and I don’t have a car at the moment.
Modulargrid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1069607

The last session I recorded in the USA before relocating to Denmark:
https://soundcloud.com/mod_gene/zone-overture

htor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by htor » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:27 pm

url: https://hermantorjussen.no/airpad.html
artist: me
track: air pad test, bathdub mix
date: 2020
genre: airpad
gear: microkorg, digitakt, monologue

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm
I think some of you guys take this too seriously (just my opinion). Regardless of whether or not the original poster here has a fantastic system or has golden ears or whatever, it can be interesting to hear someone else's opinion on your stuff. It's a generous offer, in my opinion!
I agree 100%. :agree:

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:26 pm

I dig it.

Artist: Acacia Bridge (linked account is a scratchpad)
Track: Dumpster Baby
Release Date: unreleased (recorded last year)
Genre: IDM, maybe?
Gear: Lead and arpeggios are Dixie II+ and wavefolders, e440 etc. Everything else is Bazille besides the Amen snare.

https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:15 pm

Artist: slumberjack
Track: ocean pony (wet mix)
Release Date: unreleased, wrote around a year ago
Genre: leftfield tech-house
Gear: Prophet8 (the tuba sound), SU700 (vocal samples), Fumana (vocoder fed by the SU700 and three VCOs from my system sequenced by microbe meta sequencer), DX11 (marimba), NordRack 2X (hhs, clap [well thats sampled into a SU200], pad, synth hook), Cwejman D-LFO (kick), Cirklon (composition and arrangement), maybe there are some more sound in it, for sure some pedals and rack fx were used and not much after the tracking went beside amplitude adjustments of each and one over dub with the DX11 and of course: cut some stuff out as usual.

Well if anyone catches the sampled source I'd like to know so.

https://soundcloud.com/thecrates/ocean- ... ev/s-AxbbQ
Last edited by slumberjack on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Why does this smell of someone attempting to compile a compilation record on the sly? :ninja:

Just be careful, folks.

a_b_d
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a_b_d » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:26 pm

Kent wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:53 pm
Why does this smell of someone attempting to compile a compilation record on the sly? :ninja:

Just be careful, folks.
Wait, can you fully explain the mechanics of this worst case scenario? Smh seriously, folks need to chill ...or simply not comment.

wiggies
Common Wiggler

Post by wiggies » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:20 pm

I'm in.

Artist: Luis Salinas
Track: Daynight
Genre: Electronica
Release date: July 2019
Gear: Eurorack

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:39 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:27 pm
I absolutely love that idea. Please make a thread for that!

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:22 pm
I think people need to know who you are first. What kind of experience and qualification you have and what the criterias are that you're reviewing. Is it recording / mixing / mastering skills, musical complexity, originality, whatever?
I have no qualifications. If you want a professional to review your stuff, you should send it to a magazine :D
Gringo Starr wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:05 pm
That's a nice offer as being critiqued is important. However it would be nice to hear some of your music first so we know exactly what kind of ear we're being critiqued by.

I´m the drummer and mixed the session.

https://soundcloud.com/lunaticlorn/bagodix

New electronic stuff with Eurorack. More to come soon. Thanks for listening in!
cackland wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:21 pm
I have Genelec and ATC systems, that doesn't mean I have the qualification to critic someone's work, even though I've ben working as a recording engineer for the past 10 years.

However, if one were looking for some critical listening reviews then sure, its good to get as much feedback as possible.
I really just threw in the Genelecs so you can know, what I use for listening back. If you know the Genelec sound, you know how to take it, if I find your mix a bit sharp. Apart from that, I do have a fairly flat response from 34 to 20 kHz here, so I can here, what is going on at least. That's all I meant to say. There is no price to be won here.
Kent wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Just be careful, folks.
Wow. I don´t really know what to say. I also don´t really know, if that is a thing that is happeing. Especially with the kind of music we share here. But, yes: Drive safe!

OK, with those question (more or less) answered, lets get to the first review!

Return to “Your Tunes Here”