I shall critique your works! (if you want me to)

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Re: I shall critique your works! (if you want me to)

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:40 pm

Silentnotes wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 pm
I want to play.

Artist: Sava Botic
Track: Audioskop
Genre: Experimental Ambient Textural
Release date: December 2019
Gear used: Eurorack, AnalogKeys, Rhodes, Percussions, GuitarPedals, ContactMicrophones..

Welcome in the ring, Silentnotes!

I am thrilled to see a 9:52 experimental journey to the far ends of the space continuum as a first entry, because this is not a regular music forum and like many here, I am searching for new worlds and unheard sounds, bold creators and auditory visionairies. Not to spoil too much from the get go, but it seems I searched in the right place!

"Audioskop" spans a wide range from the relaxed, easy listening beginnings of furniture music to modern experimental electronic music with its warped psychedelic spaces and crunchy synth bass sounds. What ties this track to the realm of ambient music is its disregard for traditional structure, simple, even rhythms and foreseeable patterns or large scale repetition. Instead, it focuses on the creation of a space. Or, around at least 15 different spaces, in this case.
By striving to create a space to envelope the listener in, "Audioskop" still has the same agenda as Brian Enos cornerstone of the ambient genre, "Music for airports", which even carries the space to be treated by the music in its name. But that is pretty much where the similarities between Enos early works and "Audioskop" stop, as the latter is not seeking to create or even relate to familiar spaces of our daily surroundings. It is much rather providing us with a portal gun to ever-changing and unheard of parallel dimensions. The atmospheric works of Isao Tomita, that laid out the path for this new type of music in the 70´s even before Brian Eno coined the term ambient, show a much more comparable approach in their erraticness and abundance of fantastic soundscapes.
What has changed a lot since then is the technology of sound design, and Sava Botic uses it to its full extent in their quest for new dimensions of sound. Naturalistic environmental recordings are being mixed with complex evolving drones, dry pops of contact mics blend with digital artifacts and pulsing reverberations. This track takes us on a ride, and a beautiful organic panorama may get disintegrated by some technical implosion at moments notice.
This imbues every moment of this composition with preciousness, every sound feels like a rare and unique encounter, every space we find ourselves in is a world of its own, that deserves to be, to live, to breath, and yet it will inevitably have to make room for the unstoppable course of evolution.

Technically, "Audioskop" is executed immaculately. All the different sounds are glued together by a vintage inspired, mid range focused sonic image with a steady compression and analogue drive, that creates a warm, fuzzy feeling and really helps tie the many different pieces together. The sound design is marvelous, original and surprising, by times just as intense as it is soothing only a moment later. It is crafted with a keen eye for detail and a striking sense for, there it is again, space. Music as a medium unfolds over time, and its dimensionality exists in the way, sounds unfold and repeat over time. This is true for the microscopic scale, with delays and reverbs creating naturalistic or fantastic stages for the sounds the act on, as well as macroscopically over the course of beats and measures.
"Audioskop" revels in this, shifting the soundstage with every new piece being introduced, sometimes creating clean and digital open spaces expanding over the stereo field and drifting off into the depths, sometimes warm and tight proximity placing the listener right in front of the ever evolving events. And every shift is mirrored on the broader scale, with the looped percussive elements creating unheard rhythms far off of any typical electronical subcultures standard beats. If you are open for a wider definition of the term groove, there is a lot to be found here.

You will have to search, though. "Audioskop" demands openness and the willingness to let go, explore, find the meaning in the details and create a sense of an underlying message for yourself. If you find it hard to dive into music, that takes some time and does not provide you with the build up of tension and its release, like a typical song structure or a drop in modern electronic music would, you will find it hard to get into the intricacies of this piece. You will probably find it hard to follow after a while and you might feel the diabolic urge to hit the skip button once you reach the 3 minute mark (don´t, you know skipping is bad for you and your family and friends). And this is probably the only criticism of this piece I will manage to formulate:
"Audioskop" lacks an overarching structure, a goal, an arc of tension. This means, you will not be brought to the far ends of the galaxy by this track all on its own, no, you will have to walk along with it. There will be no exposition, climax or resolution to take you by the hand and show you the way, there will be no dramatic thrust to propel you further, you will have to stay focused and steer the ship beyond the stars.

But if you muster the concentration to do so, you will be rewarded. You will find a million things in the light shining through this quasi crystal.
And in the end, therein might lie the big value in ambient textural music for our ever accelerating times. They will create an isle of stasis, invite you to slow down and stay and appreciate the vast complexity that is out there in anything, anytime and anywhere, if you manage to listen closely enough.

"Audioskop" is a beautiful, ever-changing multiverse of sounds and ideas and I cannot get enough of it.

As you might have noticed by now, I myself am indeed perfectly happy without said dramaturgic thrust and I will certainly listen to this piece many times more. I am thrilled with the quality of the tracks posted in response to my offer and I am seriously worried, how I can manage to not just fanboy the entries posted here. But then, it is absolutely a good thing to fanboy (or fangirl) to your hearts content, it is always a win win situation, so off we go...

Thank you, Silentnotes! Amazing work!

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:12 am

Daisuk wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm
I'll play. :)

Artist - Screen Phoenix
Track - Eyble
Date of release - Jan 2020.
Genre - Electronic.

Hit me! :hihi:

Fog Door - feel free to do so! :mrgreen:

I think some of you guys take this too seriously (just my opinion). Regardless of whether or not the original poster here has a fantastic system or has golden ears or whatever, it can be interesting to hear someone else's opinion on your stuff. It's a generous offer, in my opinion!
Next contestant: Daisuk/Screen Phoenix
You did forget to state, what you used to make this track, but the Soundcloud description says "modular", so at least we have an idea. If you want to tell us more, I would love to know.

"Eyble". The song tied to this enigmatic title starts with a wafting tonal droning loop reminiscent of a harmonica that quickly gets interrupted by percussively pitched little sound effects scattered across the stereo panorama. A feeling of comfortable dizzyness floods our mind and the air around us is swarmed by tiny dragonflies, or possibly just the sparkling spots that form in your retina, when you dare to stare into the sun.
The main concept to this experimental and playful electronic track is being revealed right from the start here and will stay with us for the duration of the whole track. A juxtaposition of the steady, repeating peacefulness of the central loop with a plethora of sounds, chirps, bleeps and drum sounds flying all around it. While the tonal patterns seems to be looped with an underlying rhythm, all the percussive material seems completely disjointed from the the songs pulse and instead swirls around the listener like a swarm of birds in hectic laboriousness. At times the drums get chopped and scattered to create a soundscape somewhat similar to Aphex Twins ambient works, albeit with a more detached underlying rhythmical feeling.
The songs idea provides a lot to explore and the contrast of the calm tonal pattern and the hectic sound effects and drums makes for an intriguing, unusual experience that brings across a very specific mood. The sound design is unique and delicate, the panning and depth of the soundstage paint a wide and lush image of this peaceful bustling activity.
However, there is not much development to be found here. "Eyble" portraits a still image, a momentary shot of a turbulent scenario, but it doesnt´go anywhere. This is true for its dynamics, its instrumentation, the songs intensity as well as its harmonic content. How much grander a story could have been told extending the songs initial outset to a harmonic structure. A whole journey lies in wait here, but as is, we only get to experience its very beginning. Even if we assume the main tonal loop absolutely had to stay in its static state to get the songs intended message across, just an evolving pattern of bass notes could have provided an overarching story to take us and the song to the ups and downs of this unique place.
Wait, bass notes? There is no bass! A bold musical decision, and a dangerous one, for the reasons stated before and also because "Eyble" misses out on that impactful moment, when the bass sets in, everything gets bigger, warmer, more connected. A bass would have tied the whole spectrum together by providing a foundation and a root note, given new options for exploration and it also would probably have naturally brought some long-term development to the song.
And then there is long term dynamics. Again, a bass setting in might have added this naturally. But apart from that, the impact, "Eyble" has on the listener could have been multiplied by the addition of a climax, a rush of emotions, a crescendo. It speaks for the potency of the songs concept, that this moment is dearly missed, because there is a feeling of investment in the songs setting. Let the birds take off and rush to the skies. Wouldn´t that be marvelous.
As it stands, we will not find out, but we can nonetheless be inspired, intrigued and refreshed having rested amongst the bustling activity at this peculiar spot in time.

Thank you for this delightful entry, Daisuk!

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:04 am

LunaticSound wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:12 am
Daisuk wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm
I'll play. :)

Artist - Screen Phoenix
Track - Eyble
Date of release - Jan 2020.
Genre - Electronic.

Hit me! :hihi:

Fog Door - feel free to do so! :mrgreen:

I think some of you guys take this too seriously (just my opinion). Regardless of whether or not the original poster here has a fantastic system or has golden ears or whatever, it can be interesting to hear someone else's opinion on your stuff. It's a generous offer, in my opinion!
Next contestant: Daisuk/Screen Phoenix
You did forget to state, what you used to make this track, but the Soundcloud description says "modular", so at least we have an idea. If you want to tell us more, I would love to know.

"Eyble". The song tied to this enigmatic title starts with a wafting tonal droning loop reminiscent of a harmonica that quickly gets interrupted by percussively pitched little sound effects scattered across the stereo panorama. A feeling of comfortable dizzyness floods our mind and the air around us is swarmed by tiny dragonflies, or possibly just the sparkling spots that form in your retina, when you dare to stare into the sun.
The main concept to this experimental and playful electronic track is being revealed right from the start here and will stay with us for the duration of the whole track. A juxtaposition of the steady, repeating peacefulness of the central loop with a plethora of sounds, chirps, bleeps and drum sounds flying all around it. While the tonal patterns seems to be looped with an underlying rhythm, all the percussive material seems completely disjointed from the the songs pulse and instead swirls around the listener like a swarm of birds in hectic laboriousness. At times the drums get chopped and scattered to create a soundscape somewhat similar to Aphex Twins ambient works, albeit with a more detached underlying rhythmical feeling.
The songs idea provides a lot to explore and the contrast of the calm tonal pattern and the hectic sound effects and drums makes for an intriguing, unusual experience that brings across a very specific mood. The sound design is unique and delicate, the panning and depth of the soundstage paint a wide and lush image of this peaceful bustling activity.
However, there is not much development to be found here. "Eyble" portraits a still image, a momentary shot of a turbulent scenario, but it doesnt´go anywhere. This is true for its dynamics, its instrumentation, the songs intensity as well as its harmonic content. How much grander a story could have been told extending the songs initial outset to a harmonic structure. A whole journey lies in wait here, but as is, we only get to experience its very beginning. Even if we assume the main tonal loop absolutely had to stay in its static state to get the songs intended message across, just an evolving pattern of bass notes could have provided an overarching story to take us and the song to the ups and downs of this unique place.
Wait, bass notes? There is no bass! A bold musical decision, and a dangerous one, for the reasons stated before and also because "Eyble" misses out on that impactful moment, when the bass sets in, everything gets bigger, warmer, more connected. A bass would have tied the whole spectrum together by providing a foundation and a root note, given new options for exploration and it also would probably have naturally brought some long-term development to the song.
And then there is long term dynamics. Again, a bass setting in might have added this naturally. But apart from that, the impact, "Eyble" has on the listener could have been multiplied by the addition of a climax, a rush of emotions, a crescendo. It speaks for the potency of the songs concept, that this moment is dearly missed, because there is a feeling of investment in the songs setting. Let the birds take off and rush to the skies. Wouldn´t that be marvelous.
As it stands, we will not find out, but we can nonetheless be inspired, intrigued and refreshed having rested amongst the bustling activity at this peculiar spot in time.

Thank you for this delightful entry, Daisuk!
Wow, thanks a lot for the feedback! That's some serious effort put in! :) I agree with all of your points. I seem to forget to add bass to a lot of tracks (maybe from using mainly headphones to mix?), not entirely sure why. And song structure and development in a track are still alien concepts to me, 10 years or whatever it is into making music, haha. I still quite like this track for whatever reason, but I'll take your points to heart and try harder next time to make a more conscious effort to develop things further.

Anyways, thanks a lot! Much appreciated. :tu:

Oh, and the track is made with my eurorack system (the one linked in my signature).
Last edited by Daisuk on Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:01 am

Certainly. I’ve seen this occur often enough to have lost count.

People provide mixed/mastered content (often with artwork) and the thread itself is a curating process.
Person X takes the files and puts them in a compilation and sells them without a single mention of doing so.

Again, I’ve seen this attempted and executed on this forum and others for years.

P.S. your chastisement was unwarranted. I suggested caution.
a_b_d wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:26 pm
Kent wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:53 pm
Why does this smell of someone attempting to compile a compilation record on the sly? :ninja:

Just be careful, folks.
Wait, can you fully explain the mechanics of this worst case scenario? Smh seriously, folks need to chill ...or simply not comment.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:02 am

LunaticSound wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:39 pm
Gringo Starr wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:05 pm
That's a nice offer as being critiqued is important. However it would be nice to hear some of your music first so we know exactly what kind of ear we're being critiqued by.

I´m the drummer and mixed the session.

https://soundcloud.com/lunaticlorn/bagodix

Looks like a fun jam. I miss that. Life gets so weird when you get into your 40's. Old reliable jam buddies and future hopefuls in your age range now have kids in middle-school aaaaaand that's a wrap. No more no more.

Thanks for sharing!
Last edited by Gringo Starr on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:49 am

Kent wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:53 pm
Why does this smell of someone attempting to compile a compilation record on the sly? :ninja:

Just be careful, folks.
Or just is searching tracks for his sets? Maybe. But you know the release scenario nowadays is that f'up if you're not able to produce top notch stuff so if someone bites my styles or steals my songs then sadly I would not been crestfallen thaaaaaat much rather feel encouraged or honored.
Sounds desperate I know.

So how did you found out then?

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:39 am

It's a fun exercise because I realize it's really difficult to pick just one track since I don't have a specific genre and depending on the mood I do more techno, dub, ambiant or just weird robot farts.

So here we go, I feel this is one of tracks I enjoyed the most making and sharing, and I feel it synergizes well the kinds of music I enjoy doing.

Artist: Goat
Track: Pluck
Genre: Electronica
Date: March 2019
Gear used: Eurorack (2HP pluck, Echophon; René2, ES Drum Sequencer ...), Roland SE-02, Keystep. Live recording, no editing, no DAW

Transistor
Common Wiggler

Post by Transistor » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:01 am

I'll join in too, it's nice when tunes I'm happy with get some ears beyond my own and always appreciate to hear someone's perspective on where things can be tweaked for improvement!

Artist: Modwaev
Track: Arise My Puppets
Genre: Electronica
Date: mid-2019
Gear used: Eurorack, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, Karp Odyssey, MPC2500, Pearl Syncussion SY-1

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:34 pm

Okay, I'll put mine here too, it's a fun thread, I enjoyed checking out what everyone else is posting.
All my tracks are CC-licensed so feel free to download and cut records :lol:, or whatever you like with 'em.

Artist: Modular Genome Project
Track: Zone Overture
Genre: Eurorack? Electronic.
Date: end of 2019
Gear Used: Eurorack (Just Friends, Planar2, Mimetic Sequent, Lifeforms Primary Osc, Filter8, Fracture, Tallin, WMD PM.)

The track is a live unedited performance/patch I recorded on New Year's instead of whatever people usually do.

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:48 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:42 pm
Quite right, always worth checking how your mix sounds via phone/laptop speakers and of course, lower quality audio will sound a lot worse on a high end system!
I vividly remember a few years back I listened to an unfinished song of mine on a my shitty phone speaker and thinking "that sounds amazig". The track got finished and to this day its the best sounding thing I made.

Lesson learned: if it's good it comes across on inferior sound systems.

And before anyone comments: I do believe in having a good monitoring setup...

a_b_d
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a_b_d » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:17 am

Kent wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:01 am

People provide mixed/mastered content (often with artwork) and the thread itself is a curating process. Person X takes the files and puts them in a compilation and sells them without a single mention of doing so.

Again, I’ve seen this attempted and executed on this forum and others for years.

Here's my final comment on this, and apologies to the OP for cluttering this thread: LOL, has this happened? Sure, probably. Is it rampant enough to be a knee-jerk downer on this very generous offer? Nah. As a mod, you're literally creating culture with your reply, and it's not great. But keep chasing those what-ifs...

And I encourage you to bring the full fury of your mod powers down on me for ...daring to treat you like any other forum member :hihi: What's the official punishment for "chastisement"? :hihi:

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:50 am

a_b_d wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:17 am
Kent wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:01 am

People provide mixed/mastered content (often with artwork) and the thread itself is a curating process. Person X takes the files and puts them in a compilation and sells them without a single mention of doing so.

Here's my final comment on this, and apologies to the OP for cluttering this thread: LOL, has this happened? Sure, probably. Is it rampant enough to be a knee-jerk downer on this very generous offer? Nah. As a mod, you're literally creating culture with your reply, and it's not great. But keep chasing those what-ifs...

And I encourage you to bring the full fury of your mod powers down on me for ...daring to treat you like any other forum member :hihi: What's the official punishment for "chastisement"? :hihi:
Your writing & thinking style are on display for all. People can make their own assessments as to their value in this case.
Please honor your pledge and make it your final comment.

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:16 am

I didn’t realize these were going to be full blown reviews! Nice idea, LunaticSound. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

electricfence
Common Wiggler

Post by electricfence » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:34 am

I agree that this is a pretty fun thread, and at the risk of overloading the OP with work, I'll play, too.

For the past three years, I have made a "Holiday" EP for my friends for Christmas, which I record on a Tascam four-track cassette recorder and then dub to C20 cassette. (The first year, I had to buy cassette recorders for two of my friends, and I realize that most of the time these tapes are being heard on somebody's kid's Dora the Explorer boombox.) This year, I got a late start, and went with more of a Pagan holiday vibe, and so "released" the tape for Imbolc, which is something that people kind of take seriously where I live. I wanted to work with tape loops on this track, so I actually started with the concept and worked backwards. I try to do these recordings fully analog, but I cheated a bit on this one and used an EXH looper for the vocal chanting loops, where I recorded myself "singing" one note on the looper, but then I bounced that to tape. I used the varispeed on the tape recorder and lots of bouncing to repitch that note until I had a four-note chord available, so I guess that's analog enough.

Here it is:

Artist: Electric Fence
Track: Feast Days for Analog Gods
Genre: Holiday Music
Date: 2/2/2020
Gear: Marantz PMD 222 field recorder, Tascam 414 and 424 recorders, EHX looper, EAR AD4096 Mk 2, the old piano that once belonged to my wife's grandmother.

coldresponse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by coldresponse » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:50 pm

Cold Response
Vancouver, BC, Canada

380HP ish of eurorack modules, Minilogue XDM, EX5, Ableton, vintage and homemade electronics.

https://soundcloud.com/crxt

Spotify :
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7cKXuYVvLkmkvbjf6NeFCJ

https://www.instagram.com/coldresponsemusic/

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Errrm...
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:31 am

Dragonaut wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:14 pm
Errrm...
If you mean to ask, if I am still on this, I am, I just got badly caught up in a paper I have to finish, which is taking longer and more resources, than expected. I hope to do some reviewing on the weekend, if not, then definitely next weekend.

Sorry for the wait, but actually, not really :) That is just life doing its job.

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:19 pm

LunaticSound wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:31 am
Dragonaut wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:14 pm
Errrm...
If you mean to ask, if I am still on this, I am, I just got badly caught up in a paper I have to finish, which is taking longer and more resources, than expected. I hope to do some reviewing on the weekend, if not, then definitely next weekend.

Sorry for the wait, but actually, not really :) That is just life doing its job.
I guess life happened with the virus and all... but you ought to have a lot of time to do some listening now at least.

Return to “Your Tunes Here”