best eurorack distortion modules?

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

hippasus
Common Wiggler

Re: best eurorack distortion modules?

Post by hippasus » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:30 am

Any love for the Erica Plasma Drive in the distortion area? I don't have one but it sounds very interesting.

subduct
Common Wiggler

Post by subduct » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:08 pm

NaiveMelody wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:37 am
subduct wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:30 pm
NaiveMelody wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:55 am
subduct wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:13 am
NaiveMelody wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:16 am
I’m building a Plague Bearer this weekend. It’ll be my third DIY module and first more complex module. Wish me luck. Everyone said the thing is crazy.
I got a rev4 a month ago. It’s crazy but also filled with subtle sweet spots. You’ll love it.
How do you find the gain knob? I find the Input control pushes more to gain than the gain knob, and that gain is most effective when there's attenuation of the input.

Overall though, the sound and vibe is amazing - lots of subtle sweet spots as you say. Some sort of musicality in that destruction too!
Great, glad you got the build done. Ah the gain knob, it took me a while to read the manual and realise it's meant to be inverted! I really like the noise application from the manual, at low gain, run some modulation into the high cv and make weird seaside noises :)
Haha doh! Well thanks for telling me and not berating me :)

Will read the manual properly and crack on. I think I assumed my DIY skills were poor - if that’s not the answer I’ll be very happy!
The manual says something about this keeping the cost down. And I’m all for modules with quirks. Maybe I’ll go run some drums through it now 🙂

hippasus
Common Wiggler

Post by hippasus » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:41 pm

DeltaTucanae
Common Wiggler

Post by DeltaTucanae » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:29 am

Klangbau Rohren Tube VCA. Great tube sound at a very good price.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/klangbau- ... a-tube-vca

gegeartist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gegeartist » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Best distortion :
Erica synths plasma drive
Wmd geiger counter
Wmd Trshmstr

Boneoh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Boneoh » Sun May 03, 2020 1:29 pm

hippasus wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:30 am
Any love for the Erica Plasma Drive in the distortion area? I don't have one but it sounds very interesting.
I recently got one and am liking it a lot. I'm still learning, so far I've been happy. I'm a knob-turning kinda guy, having a lot of fun. So far I'm using the suboctave out from the fusion VCO2 and turning on the plasma oct trig. and sub trig., then playing with the voltage. I get a lot of strangeness, which is my goal.

EDIT: I uploaded this if you'd like to hear some of the madness. A lot of the fusion drive and fusion delay flanger going on.

Robot experiment 1

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Re:

Post by numan7 » Sun May 03, 2020 5:39 pm

Delepathy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:22 am
I'm surprised that not a single person has brought up any Metasonix modules yet. The RK2, 3, and 4 are wonderful for creating distortion and disarray. The R-56 can also distort a signal, be used for reverberation via a spring tank, and can be used as a PreAmp. The R-57 can distort and hard clip any signal beyond recognition, as well as work as a dual PreAmp. You can't get that quality of distortion anywhere else. I don't think the Erica Synths or Trogotronic tube modules sound nearly as good as Metasonix.
:soapbox: qft

(and R-53 is my personal favorite).

cheers
“i'm telling you my dear that it can't happen here because i've been checking it out. i've been checking it out for a couple of days...”

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Tue May 05, 2020 10:02 am

I got some new (noise related) demo's for my Monotropa Distortion:
https://soundcloud.com/martijn-verhalle ... ction-edit
https://soundcloud.com/martijn-verhalle ... ation-edit

The idea of setting up a distortion in a feedback loop is inspiring for me . If you use (any) distortion in this way, you open up a ton of interesting sounds
out of a vanilla VCO , reverb, delay of any other module that has inputs + outputs (via FM, Phase cv or wavefolding etc.)
Especially if you temper the howling sounds with a VCA.

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Tue May 19, 2020 6:12 pm

I just came across this video while perusing YouTube.

I think it belongs in this thread. :sb:
I am member #22,363

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by beepnsleep » Tue May 19, 2020 6:24 pm

theboytheycalljonny wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:54 am
soggybag wrote:Does anyone make a EuroRack Big Muff?
Bit late in the day but Frequency Central does http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/?page_id=1484
Awesome! Coming from guitar, I was just wondering earlier today if there was one.

Return to “Synth Noise”