Euro Modules for Noise

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

gotthavok
Common Wiggler

Post by gotthavok » Sun May 14, 2017 6:36 pm

dont forget the doepfer filter bank for dialing in the exact tone you want, just wish each band was cv capable

ccastellanossf
Common Wiggler

Post by ccastellanossf » Sun May 14, 2017 11:34 pm

Surprised non one has mentioned the NLC Brain Custard

Also NLC has several chaos modules that are very good modulation and trigger sources for noise and drone work. Sloth, Squid Axon and FFChaos for example.

jbaptiste64
Common Wiggler

Post by jbaptiste64 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:24 am

try Errorinstrument stuff

slowpilgrim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slowpilgrim » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:11 pm

de_raaf wrote:Foh imp
The harvestman - tyme safari mk2 +sot, great combo for noise
Some nasty fm, in that sense a modular is grear for noise, you don't really need special modules for it, more about approach in the first place, though some modules are more fitted than others, or excell more
+1. This clip sold me on DA and TS together.
HARVESTMAN

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:21 am

MindMachine wrote:Thanks for all of the posts. Checking out Noise Swash and Jupiter Storms.

Found this... and I love it. His modules are gorgeous:

[video][/video]
This guy cracks me up, his modules are beautiful.
Noise Swash is still king for me, sounds a bit more organic than the Jupiter Storm to me, but it's good to have both.

RadioTelefonik
Common Wiggler

Post by RadioTelefonik » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:47 am

I've been using the Analog Ordnance Logiplex a lot for HNW. Not an easy module to get, but it's really helped me make some good walls.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:06 am

RadioTelefonik wrote:I've been using the Analog Ordnance Logiplex a lot for HNW. Not an easy module to get, but it's really helped me make some good walls.
That Logiplex sounds very cool, is it DIY?

RadioTelefonik
Common Wiggler

Post by RadioTelefonik » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:27 pm

No. According to Levana, there's only 15 in the wild. Rhythm Active used to have a couple, but I mighta got the last one.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:59 pm

Some of my favorites are the Synthrotek MST noise S&H/T&H. It has your basic white noise, pink noise and a random out. As well as a Sample and Hold/Tigger and Hold. I like using the noise through a VCA as an FM source on my oscillators.

My two other secret weapons are the Erica synths Polivoks Osc and the Yu Synth Steiner filter (self osc into sine). Both of these are just so non-linear when you FM them at audio rate. They sound almost chip tune when you take the output of one into the V/oct input of the next.

I often use the Malleko Wiard Osc as the main osc in my system, but honestly it's way too stable and refined compared to the Erica Polivoks and Yu Synth Steiner. It doesn't freak out, fold over or sweat when you modulate it with two different things at once. It just does it.
So I'm liking this sound sources that protest at being shoved around.
This is also why I'm probably going to pass on the Synth Tech multimode Osc I was about to buy.
I checked one out at Control in Broooooklyn recently.
It sounds really good, but it tracks too perfectly when you use the sync input. And it modulates just about any way you want. Clinically well.
(update)
It also occurs to me that Synthrotek makes an Atari Punk Console module. Both as a simple kit and pre-built.
The APC circuit is not unique to Synthrotek. It's a Forest Mims 555 timer circuit from days of yore. Very chiptune sounding, but in a left out in the sun, malfunctioning kind of way.

If as you say, you aren't terribly interested in patching to get the sound you are talking about, but rather want a one stop module, that is a cheap, easy place to go.

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hyena » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:07 pm

-the harvestman zorlon cannon mk2 for digital LFSR type noises (but also quasi random gates and tonality)
-a-189-1,also self patched, also with algo 11,no input and a sequence or random in the BC cv in and bc cv level up to taste
-4ms vca matrix because matrix mixers
-a-199 spring reverb, especially in a feedback loop with another reverb or a short time long feedback delay and eqs on a proper mixer. infinite darkambient\noisescapes
-tyme sefari mk2 under heavy modulations, with or without SOT
-plague bearer
-abusing switches in audio rate
-abusing clock dividers
-sending white noise into clock dividers that can handle audio rate signals (like SSSR labs vc divider)

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Future Sound Systems Gristleizer
WMD Synchrodyne
WMD Micro Hadron Collider
WMD Gamma Wave
Elby Bi'n'Tic

TheBoraxKid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheBoraxKid » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:11 pm

NLC (Nonlinearcircuits) is a one-stop shop for modulation chaos, disruption, and futility in my opinion. Nearly any setup can become a noise machine if some chaos is patched in.

Sound source, feedback/delay, distortion = "classic noise"

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:19 am

make some noise...

My noise section:
-- Schlappi Engineering - Interstellar Radio
-- Erica Synths - Black CodeSource & Expander
-- Erica Synths - Black Modulator
-- Erica Synths - Black Digital Noise
red

radin
Common Wiggler

Post by radin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:39 pm

See above but I second the Schlappi Engineering Interstellar Radio.

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:46 pm

radin wrote:See above but I second the Schlappi Engineering Interstellar Radio.
Different things but the result sounds a lot like my Jupiter Storm

mmelnick
No melody, no harmony

Post by mmelnick » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Just got an X1L3 Shard module and it’s awesome. So raw and has a finger sensor/slider that responds to touch. Killer for power electronics
matthewmelnick.com
metrono.me
bloodofazombie.com
darksidenyc.com
myworld.ebay.com/brooklyn_collectables

TRUE DEEP
Common Wiggler

Post by TRUE DEEP » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:14 am

mmelnick wrote:Just got an X1L3 Shard module and it’s awesome.
Damn, checked it out on youtube and that stuff is brutal.

Todai
Common Wiggler

Post by Todai » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 am

SSF Quantum Rainbow

Excellent, simple noise source - that 'Quanta' output is great both for crackle and as modulation source.

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Infinity Curve » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:11 pm

mmelnick wrote:Just got an X1L3 Shard module and it’s awesome. So raw and has a finger sensor/slider that responds to touch. Killer for power electronics
I have a Wreckage in the mail at the moment, will likely be grabbing a Shard next. Have any recordings with it yet?

bibleblack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bibleblack » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:
mmelnick wrote:Just got an X1L3 Shard module and it’s awesome. So raw and has a finger sensor/slider that responds to touch. Killer for power electronics
I have a Wreckage in the mail at the moment, will likely be grabbing a Shard next. Have any recordings with it yet?
Wreckage is great if you mult the pitch cv you can get epic chords with it as well as destroy the sound completely

Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:51 pm

I love Shard but I wish I could filter or equalise it because I find most of the sounds I get from it a bit similar. But it's all about how one patches it, as usual, as I managed to get some really intense stuff from it when I patched it with Maths and Elements.

I also used Shard on an upcoming release of mine to simulate human screams but I cant't share the recording while the tape's not out from the label

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:46 am

gotthavok wrote:dont forget the doepfer filter bank for dialing in the exact tone you want, just wish each band was cv capable
I just received a Doepfer A-104 Trautonium Formant filter. Four LP/BP filters with resonance on each filter. Nice with the noise sources I have for sure.

My only Fixed Filter is the limited Makenoise FXDf that I use w/ some attenuators and a mixer. I love it with the EMW Noisestation into VCA's.

I use the Doepfer A-135-1 VCMix/VCA 4 channel for a lot of drone/noise duties. Can be voltage controlled mixing for slamming a voice into a mix via cv all of a sudden. Can be used for abrupt four channel mixing changes, etc. It has a Gain control as well as cv and input levels. It sits next to the Doepfer A-138-M Matrix Mixer.

Also possibly of interest (if you use a lot of crossfading for noise) there is the fairly new Doepfer A-184-2 Crossfader/Waveshaper. It is a two input crossfader and a Triangle to Sine converting waveshaper in 4 HP. Cool little module. I use an EMW 3X TRI LFO that has three different ranged Triangle LFO's. The A-184-2 is cool to tame on of the Triangles into a slow Sine. The crossfader section has LED monitoring for good visual feedback. Stoked over simple modules like this.

I've also added a Noise Reap ISD Sampler. Great for vocal one shots or loops under or on top of the noise. Versatile and lo-fi. For $100.00, I should have two: https://noisereap.com/product/isd-sampler/

Off to check out some suggestions from above. Noise On!

snowday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snowday » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:27 am

bought an arcade noise on your recommendation, great module, I don't entirely understand how it works, plus there's no manual, but you can get all sorts of looping and non looping noise tones as well as some noisy-ish pitches out of it.

Recently got a ritual electronics miasma, awesome feedback and distortion capabilities, I love making a loop with the feedback in and out. gonna get the expander soon so I can switch the diodes on the fly.

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Infinity Curve » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:50 am

Infinity Curve wrote:
And I have a Shard in the mail now too, really loving the wreckage, and recently grabbed his Nihil CB mic module, excellent for harshnoise, had a blast messing with it and a phonogene with some modulation :sb:

mmelnick
No melody, no harmony

Post by mmelnick » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:02 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:
No recordings but I did a gig with it and i'm using it in this video

matthewmelnick.com
metrono.me
bloodofazombie.com
darksidenyc.com
myworld.ebay.com/brooklyn_collectables

Return to “Synth Noise”