How do I make the melodic parts of Prurient?

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

How do I make the melodic parts of Prurient?

Post by NaiveMelody » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:58 am

This might be a pretty basic question, but some guidance and help would still be appreciated.

How do I make the more melodic synth sounds from Prurient's music?

Examples:






Are they just simple detuned saw waves with effects? I've tried making them but it's tricky to get it sounding exactly right.

What kind of synth would you use to make them? A Virus?

I've asked on Reddit and GS too, but have got really useful responses on recent qs on here.

User avatar
shred
desperation tentacle
Posts: 1140
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:41 am
Location: delaware

Re: How do I make the melodic parts of Prurient?

Post by shred » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:00 pm

NaiveMelody wrote:
Are they just simple detuned saw waves with effects? I've tried making them but it's tricky to get it sounding exactly right.
yeah probably. decent amount of reverb, chorus, some delay. it may be more about getting the filter/filter modulation right.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com



User avatar
Zerius
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:37 pm
Location: BZH

Post by Zerius » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:17 pm

I believe he uses an old Korg ms 2000 in live if that helps you

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Post by NaiveMelody » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:52 am

Zerius wrote:I believe he uses an old Korg ms 2000 in live if that helps you
It does, thanks very much!

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: How do I make the melodic parts of Prurient?

Post by NaiveMelody » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:52 am

shred wrote:
NaiveMelody wrote:
Are they just simple detuned saw waves with effects? I've tried making them but it's tricky to get it sounding exactly right.
yeah probably. decent amount of reverb, chorus, some delay. it may be more about getting the filter/filter modulation right.
Played about with a bit of this last night - you're definitely right on the filter / modulation.

Post Reply

Return to “Synth Noise”