Noise musicians: How do you release your work?

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

carbonhazard
Common Wiggler

Re: Noise musicians: How do you release your work?

Post by carbonhazard » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:33 am

sparood wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:17 am
Making a tape with bizzarro artwork is half the fun of what makes noise noise.
agreed, and then trading said tape for someone elses bizzarro tape. while i do listen to noise from bandcamp and youtube for convenience, it's mostly stuff that's either oop or too expensive to ship from the states. i don't think i've ever put on a digital only release.

finalplane
Common Wiggler

Post by finalplane » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:12 pm

secretly
whipcreamsfruitquartet.bandcamp.com

sparood
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sparood » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:40 pm

carbonhazard wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:33 am
sparood wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:17 am
Making a tape with bizzarro artwork is half the fun of what makes noise noise.
agreed, and then trading said tape for someone elses bizzarro tape. while i do listen to noise from bandcamp and youtube for convenience, it's mostly stuff that's either oop or too expensive to ship from the states. i don't think i've ever put on a digital only release.
Yes exactly. I can live with electronic music being only digitally on my PC (and also 'm to lazy to change those short 12" all the time, nor am I a DJ), but with noise I like to see there was commitment and dedication, a sign of love to the release rather than put it online and be done with it.

Maybe that is also the big difference between noise (and also punk) and most music for me, it's not only the sound, but more so the attitude, approach, investment and commitment doing your own thing and totally own it, be proud of it even if it's ugly as fuck and no one likes shit about it.

*Plays Sheer Terrors Ugly and Proud in the background*

At the moment I am doing a fanzine and however I am not making any music, the freedom and energy of totally doing your own thing matches the energy I get out of noise, and I also really like it haha. Maybe I have 2 readers, maybe I get 20 readers, whatever the amount of readers I get it's probably negligent to the amount of time and energy I put into this thing, but I am still proud to create it and proud when I finished it and get a cool product at the end of the process. Fuck yes.

So to all out there, go and create something physical, something you can hold on to and still be proud of after 20 years. Because really, no one is going to listen to your digital only release after 20 years, 10 years, 2 years, or even 6 months. Except when it's really, really good, so why not invest it little more in it?

dangayle
Common Wiggler

Post by dangayle » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:39 pm

sparood wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:40 pm
So to all out there, go and create something physical, something you can hold on to and still be proud of after 20 years. Because really, no one is going to listen to your digital only release after 20 years, 10 years, 2 years, or even 6 months. Except when it's really, really good, so why not invest it little more in it?
Dang. This is the thing to think about, isn't it. Makes me want to think about everything I've made.

dangayle
Common Wiggler

Post by dangayle » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:41 pm

Why is it specifically cassette tapes that everyone here is interested in? Why not vinyl? Does the end format really matter that much, as long as you have a physical thing in your hands?

cierny_vlk
Common Wiggler

Post by cierny_vlk » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:52 pm

dangayle wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:41 pm
Why is it specifically cassette tapes that everyone here is interested in? Why not vinyl? Does the end format really matter that much, as long as you have a physical thing in your hands?
I imagine the cost difference for a vinyl pressing is prohibitive for many people. There is very little, if any, return on the cost/investment.

s.pwyll
Common Wiggler

Post by s.pwyll » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:01 pm

dangayle wrote:
Cassettes can be made/dubbed in small batches (as low as 1), and can be DIY.

Vinyl takes an MOQ of 200 (I've seen one place that offered MOQ as low as 50, but the price was the same as their 200, so I suspect they were just disposing of the extras), and cannot be considered DIY for the vast majority of people.

carbonhazard
Common Wiggler

Post by carbonhazard » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:15 pm

Yeah, theyre cheap. Cd-r's used to be just as popular and are making a comeback! I wish minidisc made a comeback honestly, along with tapes my favourite and a perfect format for noise.

I'm kind of surprised how little most posters here seem to be involved in or know about the noise scene. I mean its as old as punk and there are a huge number of artists and labels who have been releasing weird and wonderful stuff for decades.

funeralcake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funeralcake » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:38 pm

Leave it to a modular synth person to wonder why people don't just shell out for vinyl pressings (or even pressed CD's, my preferred format).
useless

stepvhen
Common Wiggler

Post by stepvhen » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:06 am

dangayle wrote:
If other artists are anything like me, they recorded live to tape, copied to tape, and released tapes. Tape hiss and the other characteristics of tapes either go unnoticed or add flavor to noise music. Also cheap to buy and produce. Also you can make tape loops if you want. Also LPs are heckin expensive and probably wouldn't add anything to the experience.

euu3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by euu3 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:56 am

Most of my albums are recorded to tape, & also uploaded to computer to release on bandcamp also.

I duplicate all of my own tapes, generally between 2-100 copies.
http://youdontlikeit.bandcamp.com/
-------
experimental/ dark ambient/ drone/ noise/ industrial/
_____
you dont like it products.
new tape & lathe cut 8" in next few months.

''Continuous vast gasps along a stagnant point we all physically have fomented further during, I relapse amidst my own lurking depth. Overly absorbed for only a branch I can grasp and withdraw.''

carbonhazard
Common Wiggler

Post by carbonhazard » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:47 am

euu3 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:56 am
Do you listen to every one of them or risk sending defects?

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:01 am

IEC wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:38 pm
dangayle wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:02 pm
IEC wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:53 am
i normally tilt my pelvis so one cheek lifts up (if im sitting)
What if you thought was just going to be noise turns out to be... more solid?
i guess then i can say i finally have a solid release under my belt? :foul:
Nice setup, great punchline! You two should form a new comedy double act

IEC
Wiggling with Experience

Post by IEC » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:24 am

thanks glad you enjoyed it, we will be here... well probably till our family shows up asking how much our stuffs worth...

euu3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by euu3 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:10 am

carbonhazard wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:47 am
euu3 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:56 am
Do you listen to every one of them or risk sending defects?
I listen to a few throughout. occasionally a problem here or there, just redo a copy. some people might like the problems ha
http://youdontlikeit.bandcamp.com/
-------
experimental/ dark ambient/ drone/ noise/ industrial/
_____
you dont like it products.
new tape & lathe cut 8" in next few months.

''Continuous vast gasps along a stagnant point we all physically have fomented further during, I relapse amidst my own lurking depth. Overly absorbed for only a branch I can grasp and withdraw.''

Return to “Synth Noise”