Fuck Or Get Fucked By Distortion Pedals

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Can't stand the cassette sound. Especially when pushed it just sounds flat. Real tape on the other hand can be amazing.

Always found the Rodec Sherman Restyler and the Overstayer ID4 great distortion boxes made for higher signal levels.
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:36 am

Tape saturation can sound amazing on certain sounds. But it isn't quite the same as what a Proco Rat box can do.
The way different boxes add harmonics is basically what we are talking about. Not just even/odd harmonics. But also the way that they dynamically add harmonics (or don't) with varying input level or program frequency content.
Overdriven tape sounds for instance are kind of dependent on having some bass/low mid content. A rat box and other fuzz/distortions will still output crazy harmonics even with the most castrated trebly guitar as a source.

As far as synths sounding shit on distortion boxes. Try a distortion box like the Barker Assmaster by Malekko. It allows you to mix in some clean signal to put a foundation under the jacked up signal.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:04 pm

I'd like to, but I'd be afraid of cutting my weewee.
They always said I would be nothin' but a fishhead -- look at me now!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:54 pm

OP, for technical accuracy and to prevent future confusions due to ambiguity, please revise this thread's to with the following:
Fuck Or Get Fucked By Distortion Pedals

LHOOQtius
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LHOOQtius » Sun May 06, 2018 2:26 am

Cassette is all fine and well but I second the vote for open reel machines (with integral tube amps)

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sun May 06, 2018 7:33 am

so many options to get distortion. and all sound different. i just find it very hard to justify spending the kind of money some of those boutique guys are asking.
so i confess not having tried 'm all. atm using my old mesa Vtwin. still sounds good. i did put in some better valves obviously. and an AT instead of an AX for the distortion part.
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

PapaLazarou
Common Wiggler

Post by PapaLazarou » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:04 pm

That's great, and I'mma let you finish....but I use two Metal X's and a buzz box

RUMPLEDFORESKIN
Common Wiggler

Post by RUMPLEDFORESKIN » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:36 pm

As someone who has (for 20 some odd years) used pedals, microcassette, Tascam 424, reel to reel, bitcrushing through old samplers, pre-amps (from pricey ones to a Realistic Reverb with the echo turned off), tube & solid state bass/guitar amps, and over-driving mics to get my distortion fix, I still love pedals.

Also, "pedal" is a vastly generalized term. I can show you two Rats from the same year that sound different. The tape sound has it's place, but it's not the end all be all.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 pm

[quote="RUMPLEDFORESKIN"
Also, "pedal" is a vastly generalized term. I can show you two Rats from the same year that sound different. The tape sound has it's place, but it's not the end all be all.[/quote]
well 'it's only a distortion pedal' was the usual way of building 'm in those days. like with the big muffs they just used whatever parts were in stock.
so yeah, there is quite some spread ...
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

Return to “Synth Noise”