5U and the soldering iron thing

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Whats your preffered front panel format?

MU
71%
MOTM
29%

Total votes: 175

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:28 am

SynthmonkE wrote:For the DIY schematics, are there places to have the pcb and front panel etched if they are not sold? As much as I am into the DIY to save money, I really do not have the space or resources to be messing with pcb etching or panel creation.
There are indeed services to create both panels and pcbs. For panels, providing you stick with MOTM, you can go with Front Panel Express. You provide them a template and specs and you get excellent quality products at a pretty good price.

PCBs will require more work as you will have to submit a design file to a service that will produce the board for you. These services, however, are generally for production runs so getting a single board made will be either very difficult or very expensive.

As for you mention of DIY to save money - forget it. DIY is not less expensive than purchasing modules outright. You will get a better ROI buy purchasing a PCB from Modular Addict, SynthCube or another vendor rather than paying a manufacturer to produce it for you.

In addition, parts are more expensive the fewer you buy. Manufacturers purchase parts in the hundreds and thousands to reduce the cost.

For example, one of the toggle switches on a module I build / sell costs me over $18. In order to reduce the price to a mere $15 I'd have to buy 100 of them. Since this switch is used in only one type of module out of the dozens I build it really isn't worth the $1500 outlay.

You also have to factor time in to your cost calculations. It can take several days to build a module even if you have a PCB, panel and all the parts handy. Having to produce your PCBs and panels adds another layer of your time that has to be added into the cost.

For the most part, DIYers tend to build out of love rather than to try to save money. This (I feel) is because the thrill of producing a product or even potentially improving on a product through mods is what they (we) seek.

You can accomplish great things by building your modules yourself. It's a lot of fun, if meticulously wiring tiny components is your idea of fun, but it's definitely not the way to save a lot of cash.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:23 am

For cost savings for DIY.. it is really only there if you build a metric shit ton of modules.

I am building a 157U of MOTM and 6U/150HP of Euro.

For the MOTM, the estimated cost is going to be about $10,000, or $64/Module. That includes tools, and most PCBs for the Euro side of things as well.

From Synthcube, you can see the price of a full kit is almost the same as a completed module. Yu really only start to save when you build a shit load, and you buy parts in bulk.
Abandon all hope, ye who wiggle.

SynthmonkE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SynthmonkE » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Luckily for me, the time factor of building these things is not really an issue. I have access to many of the components I would ever want for next to nothing, so all I would need is the PCB/Pannel combo. As I mentioned earlier, I am just not comfortable doing the etchings. Regardless, $60-70 a module with some time soldering is much more appetizing to me than $100-300. I guess I'll have to skip on the completely DIY modules for now. :(

GiliRose
Common Wiggler

Post by GiliRose » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:04 pm

S o ....
I'ts been like two and half something years since my last post here - wow!
As they say, life got in the way and I had like a zillion other things to deal with besides modular.
So it's good to be back and find most of the old nicks and some new ones too!

For most of last year I was working closely with my friend Yoad Nevo on the relocation and new design of his London studio,
so that was good fun, lots of acoustic isolation and absorption stuff, smart routing etc.

And now I'm back and hey - I still got a load of PCBs and components waiting for that magic smoke!

I find that the key PLUS for DIY is the time factor -
take it easy, spend what you can when you can, and build as you go.
And if it actually works when you power up, well - all the better!

So it is like exchanging time for money and large chunks of $$$ for smaller ones - a cap here, a tempco there, some knobs etc. - rather than shelling out for a complete module.
Too many guitars and PC's, Kurzweil K2600X, K2600R, K2500, Roland D-50, JD-800, JD-990,
JX-10, Casio CZ-1, Yamaha SY-77, TX-7, Novation Bass Station II, Ensoniq SQ80, Ensoniq VFX-SD,
Korg Poly-800, time and patience. and a soldering iron.

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:59 pm

For page 1, another one to do to the list is Non Linear Circuits out of Australia. Even though all of the designs are for the Eurorack crowd, most of them work for +/- 15v.
Abandon all hope, ye who wiggle.

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Tue May 07, 2019 3:20 am

Interesting for NLC. I like some of their designs and 15v compatibility good to hear!
-R
Seeking the esoteric and funky in 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

DIY dayz

Post by Faustgeist » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:53 pm

A bit of rain and "working" from home allowed me to clean the electronics room. Thank goodness.

And delve into the DIY Kit-Closet! Three Voice of Saturns built - now moving on to two MFOS 16step Sequencers. Hmm, wiring!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seeking the esoteric and funky in 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: DIY dayz

Post by Flareless » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:00 pm

Faustgeist wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:53 pm
... now moving on to two MFOS 16step Sequencers. Hmm, wiring!
:bang: :hihi:

Man that's a lot of wire!

Nice WASP panel on your workbench! It really stands out :love:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Re: 5U and the soldering iron thing

Post by Faustgeist » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 pm

You have a keen eye Rich! lol, I am mounting it as we speak :)

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:07 pm

Good lord, man, what do you torque your nuts down with, an auto mechanic's pneumatic? Lol

Ps: Enter here, Daveholiday, with inappropriate comments about Rich's "nuts" ;)

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:47 pm

Beautiful workspace Faustgeist!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:34 am

Just noticed the RATE knob on the middle VOS. Very cool!
Rich

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:53 am

When Radio Shack collapsed I visited a few local stores buying as many parts as I could. Mad discounts of 90%. I was new to the world of DIY and was not an intelligent shopper, more like "I'll have that drawer of caps and resistors". But the price was good.

The dials on all three of the VoS's are from Radio Shack - and truth be told they are kinda cheap - they are not true round and have sharp edges. But these modules are simple, playful things - so I figured why not stick a skull guitar dial on one!

The next two, on the other hand, are more serious builds and I am trying to find a batch of the connectors used by dotcom and others. Anyone know where I can order these in bulk? Or even better, where to find them with 10 inch wires on the males?
Molex.jpg
Here is Thomas White showing off the rear of the two on my bench. Yipes :omg:

Any advise would be great!
~R
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GiliRose
Common Wiggler

Post by GiliRose » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:23 pm

Faustgeist, I'm still enjoying looking at your work space!!!
Too many guitars and PC's, Kurzweil K2600X, K2600R, K2500, Roland D-50, JD-800, JD-990,
JX-10, Casio CZ-1, Yamaha SY-77, TX-7, Novation Bass Station II, Ensoniq SQ80, Ensoniq VFX-SD,
Korg Poly-800, time and patience. and a soldering iron.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:35 am

OMG, the wiring on that MFOS 16-step sequencer...

I'm going to build one of those soon. I wanted to do it a few years ago, but other things (and illness) got in the way. However, I'm going to design a Panel PCB, so mine will involve no panel wiring at all. I'm not sure whether I will plug the circuit boards into the panel PCB or connect them with wiring to pin connectors, but either way, the panel components will be soldered into a PCB and all the panel wiring will be traces on the PCB. I started laying out this PCB a few years ago -- not sure how far I got. However, based on the projects I've been doing lately, I don't expect the layout to require more than a day or two to complete, and probably a single day to build.

I'll also be doing my own layouts of the circuit boards. I've never bought a PCB in my life -- I'm certainly not going to start now!
this night wounds time,

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:55 am

Faustgeist wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:07 pm
Good lord, man, what do you torque your nuts down with, an auto mechanic's pneumatic? Lol

Ps: Enter here, Daveholiday, with inappropriate comments about Rich's "nuts" ;)
Did somebody say tight nuts? :razz:

Been gearing up for a weekend of DIY as well. I have put my first FCUK waverunner through the paces and I am loving the BPM sync goodness! I have two more kits ready to go this weekend so I will have LFO duties covered!

One of the things I would like to do is "see" what the LFO shapes do with the distort knob. I don't have a scope, is there a plug in, or software that might handle a simple task such as this? Or should I just spring for a scope at some point, as I am sure it would cone in handy every so often!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:50 am

I've used Hantek's 6022BE USB scope and now their DSO5102P. Both are excellent solutions. The USB version is much less expensive but there's something wonderful about just being able to grab the scope, sit it next to your rig and see what's happening without all the futzing around that always accompanies a computer / hardware / software solution.

And the best nuts are the tight ones! :sb:
Rich

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:49 am

Flareless wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:50 am
without all the futzing around that always accompanies a computer / hardware / software solution.
Awww c'mon......some of us have the futzing around with a computer down pretty good! All of my futzing around with analog shit gets "realized" in the ultimate form in my DAW!

Will check out your scope recommendations!

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:12 am

The 6022 looks like the solution for me! I have an old laptop that would easily pair with it, so somewhat portable! I like the option of the bigger screen....for those of us with poor eyesight and huge cocks. Speaking of which.....I need to go feed my roosters!

There ya go Faust.....you were waiting for it!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:36 am

daveholiday wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:49 am
Flareless wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:50 am
without all the futzing around that always accompanies a computer / hardware / software solution.
Awww c'mon......some of us have the futzing around with a computer down pretty good! All of my futzing around with analog shit gets "realized" in the ultimate form in my DAW!

Will check out your scope recommendations!
Ah these young folks who've never had to map an IRQ or memory address or worse yet.... deal with drivers that didn't allow you to adjust these things.

I think BBPP (Born Before Plug n Play) should be a sub-title in Computer Guy nomenclature to identify the REAL technical hardcore dudes :sstorm:

Of course those guys would be laughed at by older Computer Guys with the sub-title IPFA (I Programmed FORTRAN asshole :hihi: )

But seriously folks..... good choice. The software is Windows only (but it will also run under Parallels on a Mac). The device requires 2 USB ports and comes with a funky Y-USB cable. It handles 2 channels and I honestly can't say I've ever had a problem with mine.

and finally..... who didn't think GEM would be the dominant graphical operating system... discuss :slapfight:
Rich

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:48 am

Flareless wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:36 am
folks who've never had to map an IRQ or memory address
I fought with the first windows box I ever built for weeks trying to get a sound card and MIDI device to play nicely with the OS. The next step was getting Cubase to play nicely with both as well! Thankfully most shit is pretty plug and play nowadays. I very rarely delve into the bios unless I am trying to do some "hot rodding"!

Ordered a 6022! Thanks for the recommendation!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:10 am

Oh man sound cards. Just when everything was working in your PC a sound card was added and boom:boom:.
Rich

kcd06
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kcd06 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:35 pm

"...when everything was working in your PC a sound card was added and boom"

Yes, because the damm output amp let its magic smoke out, so now you had to restart from scratch and gfl getting Sound Blaster to honor a warranty...
The most powerful, dangerous, wonderful word in any language occurs when an engineer-type person says "Huh..."

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:26 pm

So I wander in here, hoping to find some crazy new 5U project - and instead find out that soundblasters are still a thing. I mean I guess learning something new is great and alll that, but... soundblaster? Wasn't that a 90's thing?
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:38 am

Faustgeist wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:53 am
The next two, on the other hand, are more serious builds and I am trying to find a batch of the connectors used by dotcom and others. Anyone know where I can order these in bulk? Or even better, where to find them with 10 inch wires on the males?
Those aren't molex. They're AMP/Tyco MTA100 IDC connectors and headers. Pretty much everyone carries them. The white bodies are made for #24 wires and red for #22. Other colors for other gauges. Don't mix these with wires not the correct size.

George Mattson sells the F MTA100 conns with leads already attached. Not sure if they're 10" or not, but Geroge is a helpful friendly guy. I'd get in touch with him and see what he can do for you.

Seems like Synthcube might also benefit offering this? Don't know if they already do.

Return to “5U Format Modules”