SSL Woven Spirits (Plaits)

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

SSL Woven Spirits (Plaits)

Post by dslocum » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:33 pm

Yeah, the COVID lockdown has made me a bit crazier and productive than usual. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Here's another teaser of things to come. Panels ordered, prototypes on the way.
Woven Spirits Panel Rev 1.0.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

AMJ
Learning to Wiggle

Re: SSL Woven Spirits (Plaits)

Post by AMJ » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:27 pm

well right on Doug! Looking forward and will order this for sure! The Thundrum kicks ass by the way and digging the Radio Music Chord Organ module too!

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:42 pm

For anyone who is not familiar, this is an EXCELLENT multi-mode oscillator module (I was lucky enough to score a very similar MU version built in a very small batch about a year ago). Unlike some other digital oscs that attempt to offer a wide variety of functions/modes, the feature and options in the Plaits are all musical and useful and interesting (IMO). And this MU panel format is just about perfect. I frikken love this module and it's a great choice for adding some complex osc timbres to a mostly-analog modular rig.

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:09 pm

dslocum wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:33 pm
Yeah, the COVID lockdown has made me a bit crazier and productive than usual. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Jeez Doug, do you ever sleep??

I'm happy to send coffee to help keep this streak going! :)

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:00 pm

dslocum wrote:

Here's another teaser of things to come. Panels ordered, prototypes on the way.

Woven Spirits Panel Rev 1.0.png
It's called "mania" (aka "manic period") ..... haahaa! .. welcome to my house! I get like that, sometimes for MONTHS STRAIGHT .... mega-highly inventive, creative, and productive time periods.
:tu: :hihi:

Then comes the crash ........ like running into a tree doing a hundred miles per hour ... dead stop, dazed, "WFT?", creativty simply shut off, inventiveness has taken a hike, production is a foreign concept. :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

EDIT: And we'll happily take advantage of your manic period and purchase your fruit. Well, except for me, I'm about a broke ass bitch. In any case ... SUPER EXCELLENTO WORK-O ..... great judgement in selecting the Plaits to do the 5U Boogie with ... clearly a popular device.

... no I'm not drunk or high ... I'm just in a silly ass mood ...
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:22 pm

For someone with a NE Cursus and Dove WTF, what would this bring to the table different then the others?

Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chrutil » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:14 pm

Plaits is a wonderful module, if I didn't already have four of them I'd get a couple of these.. :hihi:
Woven Spirits is such a great name for it too, nicely done Doug!

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:20 am

oldgearguy wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:22 pm
For someone with a NE Cursus and Dove WTF, what would this bring to the table different then the others?
A lot!

8 synthesis models for pitched sounds
  • Two detuned virtual analog oscillators with continuously variable waveforms.
    Variable slope triangle oscillator processed by a waveshaper and wavefolder.
    2-operator FM with continuously variable feedback path.
    Two independently controllable formants modulated by a variable shape window (VOSIM, Pulsar, Grainlet, Casio CZ-style resonant filter…).
    24-harmonic additive oscillator.
    Wavetable oscillator with four banks of 8x8 waves, with or without interpolation.
    Chord generator, with divide down string/organ emulation or wavetables.
    A collection of speech synthesis algorithms (formant filter, SAM, LPC), with phoneme control and formant shifting. Several banks of phonemes or segments of words are available.
8 synthesis models for noise and percussions
  • Granular sawtooth or sine oscillator, with variable grain density, duration and frequency randomization.
    Clocked noise processed by a variable shape resonant filter.
    8 layers of dust/particle noise processed by resonators or all-pass filters.
    Extended Karplus-Strong (aka Rings’ red mode), excited by bursts of white noise or dust noise.
    Modal resonator (aka Rings’ green mode), excited by a mallet or dust noise.
    Analog kick drum emulation (two flavors).
    Analog snare drum emulation (two flavors).
    Analog high-hat emulation (two flavors).
There's also a low-pass gate emulation.

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/plaits/
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:48 am

Prunesquallor wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:20 am
oldgearguy wrote:
A lot!

Two independently controllable formants modulated by a variable shape window (VOSIM, Pulsar, Grainlet, Casio CZ-style resonant filter…).
    Wavetable oscillator with four banks of 8x8 waves, with or without interpolation.
    A collection of speech synthesis algorithms (formant filter, SAM, LPC), with phoneme control and formant shifting. Several banks of phonemes or segments of words are available.
  • Granular sawtooth or sine oscillator, with variable grain density, duration and frequency randomization.
    Extended Karplus-Strong (aka Rings’ red mode), excited by bursts of white noise or dust noise.

But Wait There's More.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 am

levelhead3 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:09 pm
dslocum wrote:
Jeez Doug, do you ever sleep??

I'm happy to send coffee to help keep this streak going! :)
Mmmm. My favorite is Doi Chaang from Chiang Rai Thailand - but it's almost unobtainium here, so no worries! Thanks for the thought though. :hihi: :guinness:
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:35 pm

Prunesquallor wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:20 am
oldgearguy wrote:
A lot!

.... And BTW, some of those models in the second group, intended for 'noise and percussion', can ALSO be used to create some really great pitched sounds, like breathy flute-type sounds reminiscent of really well done physical modeling techniques.

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:04 pm

What’s the difference between this and the Plaits from Martin-Jan(EOTS)
viewtopic.php?t=224200
3B1890FB-20C4-4065-8D0B-B2A275B86A30.png
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

Return to “5U Format Modules”