5U module that sends out just a consistent "on" 5v signal

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

5U module that sends out just a consistent "on" 5v signal

Post by EPTC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:58 pm

Hey all! Simple request here, ideally there's something already panel designed and cheap in 5U. Is there a module that just sends out a constant on 5v signal? I'd like to use it to switch back and forth on things that are gate triggered. I've already made the switch and have a few gate circuits that work fine. But curious if there's anything that just sends out 5v constantly.

Seems like the Q143 Presets module does this? Or am I misunderstanding how that module works?

Fairly sure I can get this with a Gate Math, too, setting the multiplier on a channel to divided by zero and sending the reverse of the gate signal out - but that uses up an entire Gate Math channel.

Thanks for any suggestions. Mostly curious what's out there.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 5U module that sends out just a consistent "on" 5v signal

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:04 pm

Both the top & bottom sections of the Dotcom Q125 Signal Processor can do this. With no input signal patched, the 'offset' control sends a variable DC voltage to the output.

Similarly, the Q114 Mixer++ can provide a variable DC voltage at each channel's dedicated output jack. Channel 2 is already set to do this when the switch is in the "ADD 5V" position, and the other three channels can be set to do this too using jumpers on the PCB

Several other similar modules that provide DC offset will provide a DC voltage output when no signal is patched to their input. Like S&TG triple attenuator, etc.

TimeRaveler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TimeRaveler » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:38 pm

If you have an extra 960 laying around you could use a single stage output!

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:47 pm

...Or briefly send a 5V signal from a GATE output to a spare S/H that is triggered from that same gate, then disconnect the gate from the S/H trigger input so it doesn't sample anything new, and the S/H will continue to provide the 5V output indefinitely (or until the S/H circuit eventually starts to 'droop' a bit).

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:06 pm

The Q147 Distributor sends a 5V signal from output 4 if nothing is send to input.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:13 pm

steffengrondahl wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:06 pm
The Q147 Distributor sends a 5V signal from output 4 if nothing is send to input.
That might be great! Will look into that one

Awesome suggestions, all of these! (Thank you as well, Dave and TimeRaveler!)

I like the sample hold theory. Only S&H module I have here is a CP251 - I'd be curious if it retains memory on power down (unlikely) but this opens up an idea about of S&H uses - Thank you!

Ha, regarding the 960: I've explored that idea, but I think I'd lose the halted sequencer that way, stuck in step? That's a funny idea.

Present solution is to use a channel of Pam's New Workout to send a consistent 'on' as a gate. But I'd love to not have my 5U tethered to a euro cable. Also have looked at the analog Arcade, which does what I'm looking for, but then we're looking at $400 for what should be a cheap solution: http://analogcraftsman.com/?product=arc ... escription

I'm also thinking, as I have a few foot pedals unused, to get a foot pedal interface and just connect a pedal to a Q142 https://synthesizers.com/q142.html

Think I'm wrong to presume a pedal left up or down will be an everpresent 5v output?
Last edited by EPTC on Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:21 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:04 pm
Both the top & bottom sections of the Dotcom Q125 Signal Processor can do this. With no input signal patched, the 'offset' control sends a variable DC voltage to the output.
Yeah! This might be the winner!

So, just to clarify: I can still use the top half of the module as a proper offset with anything plugged in and then, regardless of what I'm doing with the top panel, separately the bottom, unpatched, would be a 5v output if i dial it to +5v?

Thanks man

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:37 pm

The Q147 Distributor, with nothing plugged in, produces +5V on output #4.

You could even do this with a Q123 Standards module, set to Octave=5, Semitone=0.

Unfortunately so many options feel like a waste of a module. The Q114 and Q125 are probably your best bang for the buck, and still leave you with other features. When I need just a steady +5V I usually use the bottom section of my Q125.

You could always DIY something if you are so inclined. For instance if the Q130 Clipper/Rectifier uses normalled jacks (or, if not, swap it out for one) you could connect +5V to the switch lug of the rectifier input jack. When nothing is plugged into the input jack, you'll have +5V at the "+" output jack. And it will behave normally when you have something plugged into the input jack.

You could always do something similar on a multiple, too, but that might feel a bit less safe... having to always remember to plug the input into a particular jack when using it otherwise.

FWIW I like having a +5V signal available... on some of my systems I'll just use a voltage/signal processor, but in my Frac system I've got a couple inverters built into my MiniWave expanders... the input is normalled to +5V, so with nothing plugged into the input I've got +5V at the "thru" output and -5V at the "inv" output. The +5 and -5 comes in particularly handy there for the octave switching feature on the Blacet VCOs...

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 pm

EPTC wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:21 pm
So, just to clarify: I can still use the top half of the module as a proper offset with anything plugged in and then, regardless of what I'm doing with the top panel, separately the bottom, unpatched, would be a 5v output if i dial it to +5v?
Yeah, the top & bottom sections are completely independent.

And yup, the bottom section, with no input connected, will produce ~+5V when the knob is fully clockwise.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:44 pm

diophantine wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 pm

And yup, the bottom section, with no input connected, will produce ~+5V when the knob is fully clockwise.
Rockin! - Thanks for both your comments, and for this reply - Yep, I think we have a winner. I need more offsets, anyway! :)

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:32 pm

Oakley control does (did) this as well.

http://www.oakleysound.co.uk/control.htm

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:04 am

diophantine wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:37 pm
You could even do this with a Q123 Standards module, set to Octave=5, Semitone=0.
I was sure I tried this once as I had the same requirement and it didnt work, then after seeing this, I tried again and it worked!
diophantine wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 pm

This is actually IMHO a flaw, as sometimes you want both normal and inverted waves out of a single processor, so having the top one replicate output to the bottom, seems in keeping with other dot com designs. plugging into bottom input would break circuit as with other normalled modules.

I've realised I can do this putting a DC wave into STG mixer and taking both positive and negative outputs, but its the sort of thing that should be abread and butter to a signal processor.

might ask dotcom if a wee mod can be done....
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

m0n0mania
Common Wiggler

Post by m0n0mania » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:21 am

STG mixer can do it too

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:32 am

How about any EG?
Patch its output to the gate in -trigger too if necessary, set A and D to minimum -or whatever, but that will take more time to get to steady state, which could be a good thing- and use Sustain to set the output level. Press manual gate to start the process. Depending on the EGs I/O you might need a mult.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:35 pm

Easy way that doesn't eat module space.
Add a toggle switch and jack to a panel that has wasted space on it. (A lot of 1MU modules have this.)
Tie the 5 volt from the header to the common of the switch.
Tie the switched leg to the 1/4" jack.
I've even added lamps to illuminate the state of the switch. (I have this mod on 3 panels)
2014-11-22_09-39-44_279.jpg
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

umma gumma
Ultra Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:06 pm

just me, that is a great idea!

to the OP, doesn't your CP251 have an attenuator output you can set to +5v?

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:20 pm

umma gumma wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:06 pm
to the OP, doesn't your CP251 have an attenuator output you can set to +5v?
Thanks umma gumma, yep! But the mixer is taken with a bunch of other uses.

It's a good suggestion, as is every suggestion here (particular interested in KSS' one on a constantly triggering envelope with long decay)

I'm just looking for a permanent jack on the wall outputing 5v that I can mult to tons of things, which LOOKS like I'll get with the dotcom Q125. What's nice is I'll now have a second usable offset with the other row on the Q125, so I can use the CP251 to be more of a dedicated mixer in that section.

umma gumma
Ultra Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:57 pm

yep, I need the same thing actually, so this is a very useful thread!

Xero
Common Wiggler

Post by Xero » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:36 pm

the moon m525 quad reversible attenuators also can act as a +/-10v variable voltage source when nothing is plugged into the 1st input, but you'd have to find where 5v is and mark it, as they have a wider range than the Q125. very similar idea though.

m544 cp has +/-5v attenuators, but not as many people have half-height CP rows....

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:10 am

EPTC wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:20 pm
(particular interested in KSS' one on a constantly triggering envelope with long decay)
Decay doesn't matter as it never comes into play after the first firing. Not even then if the EG is maxed at 5V. With its output patched to gate, as soon as the output reaches the gate-trigger threshold, the module is locked on. It will run through attack and decay and sit happily outputting whatever sustain level is set. You have to manually fire the EG to begin the process, unless you use some other module to do that.*

*This means you can set up EGs in this way to be fired -'at will', manually or by the patch- and then hold their sustain level after attack and decay has processed. This can be a very power ful technique!

----------
One hole for a jack and three 10K resistors also answer the question. You could literally even twist them into the 'circuit' you need. Two in parallel and one in series with them will split the 15V rail to 5 and 10V. Depending which end you put at GND-0V and 15V the junction between the paralleled and series resistor will be either 5 or 10V . Put that junction on the tip of a jack and you have your 5V or 10V solution. Less than a dollar and 15 minutes of your time.

You could make this as part of a mult to eliminate the jack and hole drilling and lower your cost to a few cents.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

Return to “5U Format Modules”