Post pics of your 5U format setup!

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Portland-Bill
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Post pics of your 5U format setup!

Post by Portland-Bill » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:04 am

rogueelement wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:35 pm
Expanded yet again.
Is that safe having your modular gear next to a combi-boiler system ?

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:20 am

Scot Solida wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:59 pm
Yep, A lovely sound effects sculpture from Azzam Bells. It’s easy enough to make something like it in one’s garage, but I loved the aesthetic of this one... it looks like something made by the Lectroids from Buckaroo Banzai. I like ‘The Crown’ too, and would like to buy one of those as well. On its own, it sounds okay, but run it through a long reverb and sounds like the machinery of nightmares.

This isn’t my video, but it gives an idea of the kind of sounds it can produce.
... try using a bass guitar configured as a type of "desktop instrument". I used to place it on top of my Hammond which made the bass work out sortof like a steel guitar (playing technique-wise). Use 6" to 8" long pieces of bronze (*brass) bare brazing rod as "hammers" to strike the strings while using either a slide of choice or even just "fretting" the desired note with the free hand. Mind your output levels since this *hammered bass* can create some very powerful transients.

Bare, uncoated brazing rod is available all over the web, or one may just walk-in to any open for business welding supply store ... the likes of the super-store home improvement outfits also carry "cut length" bare bronze in various diameters. Bare stainless steel cut length TIG welding wire/rod may also be used. 6-to-8 inch long pieces of wire coat-hanger can be used as a "hammer". Varying diameters (maybe 1/16" on up to as large as 3/16 or thereabouts) can be tried out, as well as the various materials (brass, stainless, carbon, etc.) ... all of which produce different tones. Let's not forget how much variation different bass guitar strings can change the sound as well as the "bias" between how loud the "strike" is vs the fundamental tone.

4 string bass is easiest to use in this context ... the wider spacing between the strings of a 4-stringer makes it simpler to target the desired string with the hammer(s). Multi-operator "FM" type bass sounds are easily produced as well as ~everwhat~ happens between the strike and the speaker cone.

I reckon one can do this same thing using pretty much ~any~ electric guitar or electric bass ... it works so well that years ago the bassist for Peter Gabriel made up his own "hammers" that attached to his fingers that he used to hammer his bass ... massive low end with such wonderous transients and glorious top end. I think they were called "funky fingers" or something. Point being .. the concept works.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. as of Dec 8th 2020 on a break for a bit .. contact me via bamco60@hotmail.com if needed.
WELCOME TO 2021 .. THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

Scot Solida
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scot Solida » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:06 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:20 am
try using a bass guitar configured as a type of "desktop instrument". I used to place it on top of my Hammond which made the bass work out sortof like a steel guitar (playing technique-wise). Use 6" to 8" long pieces of bronze (*brass) bare brazing rod as "hammers" to strike the strings while using either a slide of choice or even just "fretting" the desired note with the free hand. Mind your output levels since this *hammered bass* can create some very powerful transients.

Bare, uncoated brazing rod is available all over the web, or one may just walk-in to any open for business welding supply store ... the likes of the super-store home improvement outfits also carry "cut length" bare bronze in various diameters. Bare stainless steel cut length TIG welding wire/rod may also be used. 6-to-8 inch long pieces of wire coat-hanger can be used as a "hammer". Varying diameters (maybe 1/16" on up to as large as 3/16 or thereabouts) can be tried out, as well as the various materials (brass, stainless, carbon, etc.) ... all of which produce different tones. Let's not forget how much variation different bass guitar strings can change the sound as well as the "bias" between how loud the "strike" is vs the fundamental tone.

4 string bass is easiest to use in this context ... the wider spacing between the strings of a 4-stringer makes it simpler to target the desired string with the hammer(s). Multi-operator "FM" type bass sounds are easily produced as well as ~everwhat~ happens between the strike and the speaker cone.

I reckon one can do this same thing using pretty much ~any~ electric guitar or electric bass ... it works so well that years ago the bassist for Peter Gabriel made up his own "hammers" that attached to his fingers that he used to hammer his bass ... massive low end with such wonderous transients and glorious top end. I think they were called "funky fingers" or something. Point being .. the concept works.
Some very good ideas here! :love:

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:17 am

^ Just re-read Rex's suggestion and as you mention Scot, there are some good ideas!

I have my old Fender Jazz bass sitting next to my PAiA Stringz n Thingz in a corner of my studio cuz arthritis has limited my bass playing to pretty much zero and the PAiA is.... well....

I'm going to try laying the bass out out across an extra keyboard stand I have, hooking it up through a BMC030 and seeing what I can come up with.

Thanks Rex!
Rich

Lower West Side Studio's March Madness Sale is HAPPENING NOW.
Save 10% on all modules and get a chance to win an M122 Master Divider

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 am

Flareless wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:34 am
Great pics and very curious about this master plan of Alternating Bit.
So my "master plan," as Flareless put it, was delayed a month due to shipping, but here it is (as many of you may have already seen leaked out via some posts and videos I shared along the way).

I went from massive, multiple column wall science lab of modular several years ago to a major downsizing with just one MOTM portable cabinet, plus 2 MU 22-pace portables. Then I decided to upgrade my MU setup a bit via the angled 11-space cabinet from Dotcom to make a more uniformed, stacked "instrument" that I think is just beautiful. Before the bottom row jacks always suffered from having a sharp 90 degree angle to whatever surface it was resting on. That has been resolved along with cool angled module access.

I also swapped out my 10-step voice of saturn sequencer to have yet another 16-step MFOS exclusive to the MU setup. I re-acquired some classic COTK modules I missed (particularly the VC Analog Delay and Instrument Amplifier combo) and obtained a fixed filter bank with inductors. My system is SO different from what I had and yet it is much more powerful. I have a lot of the more contemporary modules in 5U format (PEAKS, BRAIDS, CLOUDS, PLAITS, GRIDS, Tau Pipe Phaser and a Basimilus for instance). However, instead of filling the rest of the system with more of such razzle dazzle modules I wanted to retain some classic ones... the ones that got me into modular in the first place with the beauty of simple analog basics; hence the upper section with standard waveform VCOs, Ring Mod and previously mentioned FFB.

I have to add that two SSL modules that really became instant essentials for me was the Radio Music module (which allows you to load any sound you want to your system) as well as the Thundrum which adds a nice FM voice along with cool drum sounds.

For anyone who actually wants to see the modules clearer...

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:42 am

Looks like a nice, unique setup.
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:42 pm

This just in!!!

As we all know the beauty of modular is an ever-changing system to suit your needs... and since I made my update post just earlier today I could not stand that POWER INTERFACE module taking up a space a module could be in... you may notice my mid 22 space cab doesn't have one, that's because years ago I modified the case to have a power module w/ AC plug to be mounted on the back of the unit. Well today I decided to finally do a similar thing with the top case, however with a much more minimal fashion; simply exposing the PIN connector on the back, like some of the Dotcom smaller cases do.

Reminder: I'm not a handy man / electronics expert by any means!! I just have lots of drive.

Just to prove my insanity, here are the rudimentary tools I had to work with:

(Pretend you don't see that drilling I did into the module face to try to fit the pin connector through the hole before giving up and just cutting the wires to get rid of one of the connectors)... that metal is TOUGH and without a vice it was dangerous to drill holes in!

Sadly the power drill bit I had was too small so it was a mess. But I got it to fit just right.

I filled any missing wood space from my sloppy drilling with some hot glue to help affix the PIN connector. Ideal? NO... does it work? YES.

I just taped the cable linking to the power harness / mini power board to the side of the case to keep it from moving around.

Here's the "final" (ha, this is modular) product. I got to put my MA20 filter back in!

And finally, the strap I ordered came in the mail... just to give the unit a bit of extra security from toppling over, not that it ever seems like it will but you never know, especially when pulling cables out.

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:45 am

You’ve inspired me alternating.bit! Thanks!

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:57 am

Nice!! Just be careful. Power is a very dangerous thing... I'm actually waiting for an expert here to jump in and say "Nooooo!! Cutting those wires is not safe, and not grounded" or what have you. All I did was tie each end off with some electric tape. :|

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:59 pm

alternating.bit wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:57 am
Nice!! Just be careful. Power is a very dangerous thing... I'm actually waiting for an expert here to jump in and say "Nooooo!! Cutting those wires is not safe, and not grounded" or what have you. All I did was tie each end off with some electric tape. :|
lol, get some wire nuts for those ends is all I'd say. They're cheap and actually even easier than tape to use. I've had some experiences with just using electrical tape that taught me not to trust it.

I'm no expert, though.

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:37 pm

^ Thanks for the tip!! In my limited experience with wire nuts I've only seen big ones and thought I'd only be able to fit all of the wires into ONE, which would probably be really bad... but looking them up I see they make smaller ones, so I'm on it! Thanks

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:57 am

Flareless wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:17 am
^ Just re-read Rex's suggestion and as you mention Scot, there are some good ideas!

I have my old Fender Jazz bass sitting next to my PAiA Stringz n Thingz in a corner of my studio cuz arthritis has limited my bass playing to pretty much zero and the PAiA is.... well....

I'm going to try laying the bass out out across an extra keyboard stand I have, hooking it up through a BMC030 and seeing what I can come up with.

Thanks Rex!
.. the hammering technique is very similar to how one plays the "Hammered Dulcimer" .. bit of a quick sortof ~snap~ on the strike ... mind those volume levels if you're using headphones or any sound system really. I used it playing live in the last band I was in, sometime around the discovery of fire I think. Use of a well-set compressor (stompbox type) allowed jumping from fingerstyle bass to hammered bass fairly easily.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. as of Dec 8th 2020 on a break for a bit .. contact me via bamco60@hotmail.com if needed.
WELCOME TO 2021 .. THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

Return to “5U Format Modules”