SSL Scat-Talker update

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:49 am

I was thinking I would have the Scat-Talker sing the whole Carol Of The Bells . . with no computer, just analog sequencers and multi-tracking . . . . :eek: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :doh: :oops: :oops: :oops: Maybe I'd have it ready for Christmas 2016 if I started now! :lol:

Anyway, my lovely Scat-Talker sang "Ding Dong" at least, without too much improvising (the damn diva! :roll: ) and then I noodled around on a bunch of other instruments. :spin: :stardance: :spin:

[video][/video]
Last edited by JohnLRice on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Savage
Cogito Pro Mundus
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Currently visiting Earth

Post by Savage » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:57 pm

I just got my Scat-Talker yesterday! (Doug, you recently shipped one to a guy with the initials 'KR'. 8-) ) I didn't even check out the documentation here yet, and I've already had a lot of fun with it. I'm already familiar with phonemes. A couple decades ago, my father had a program on his Commodore-64 called 'SAM'. With it, you could string phonemes together to make your computer talk. I strung together whatever sentences he wanted, and it was a lot of fun, even without modular sequencing.

And I'm off to bury myself in modular synthesis for the rest of the day! Woo-hoo! Thanks for an interesting and wonderful module, Doug!

P.S.O.T. Doug, I'm pretty sure I've talked my wife into a Double Deka, as she asked me, "Are there any other modules you'd want from that company?" I told her I wanted the Double Deka VCO for quite some time. She didn't say anything else, but it looks promising. So I hope you have them in inventory!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

User avatar
Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 am
Location: San Rafael, California

Post by Chrutil » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:49 am

I got my scat talker just before Christmas and it is so much fun to play with!
I have lots of fun stringing together words by programming sequencers, but I have discovered that for natural sounding speech, you really need a custom step speed per phoneme. I'm going to have to add this as a feature to my sequencers, then it'd be killer!

The phoneme list and spreadsheet posted earlier in the thread is super-useful! Thanks guys!!

If there is ever a firmware update for this thing I have two wishes -

1 - Ditch Dolly (Demo Phoneme 64). Having programmed it for a while I do appreciated the effort that must have taken! However when you are programming phonemes using an external sequencer hooked up to Phoneme-CV / Gate , and you accidentally hit phoneme 64 it basically hangs there until it is done playing - it is very disruptive when programming a sequence.

2 - A 'screen saver' that turns off the display backlight after a few minutes of no input.

Thanks for a great module!!
C

User avatar
Dob
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Post by Dob » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:31 am

I've been tempted a lot by this module, to use it as 'oddball' oscillator / sounds source in soundscapes, or just to have a good time with playing around, but the thing that keeps on holding me back is that high buzz (digital clock?) at lower pitches. In general I like the type of timbres/artifacts that arise when digital oscillators run at low frequencies a lot.

But this seems one hell of an annoying buzz...
Is it easily filtered out?

User avatar
dslocum
darwin's nemesis
Posts: 1885
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 am
Location: "Exit 89", NJ USA
Contact:

Post by dslocum » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:22 am

Dob wrote:I've been tempted a lot by this module, to use it as 'oddball' oscillator / sounds source in soundscapes, or just to have a good time with playing around, but the thing that keeps on holding me back is that high buzz (digital clock?) at lower pitches. In general I like the type of timbres/artifacts that arise when digital oscillators run at low frequencies a lot.

But this seems one hell of an annoying buzz...
Is it easily filtered out?
Yeah, it's an annoying artifact (sampling noise?) from the chip when slowed down. I've had pretty good results by simply adding a VC lowpass after the ST. Just track it at the same CV scale (1v/oct?). Gets rid of that whistle nicely.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

User avatar
dslocum
darwin's nemesis
Posts: 1885
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 am
Location: "Exit 89", NJ USA
Contact:

Post by dslocum » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:29 am

Chrutil wrote: If there is ever a firmware update for this thing I have two wishes -

1 - Ditch Dolly (Demo Phoneme 64). Having programmed it for a while I do appreciated the effort that must have taken! However when you are programming phonemes using an external sequencer hooked up to Phoneme-CV / Gate , and you accidentally hit phoneme 64 it basically hangs there until it is done playing - it is very disruptive when programming a sequence.

2 - A 'screen saver' that turns off the display backlight after a few minutes of no input.

Thanks for a great module!!
C
Agreed about Daisy / Dolly. There's a Calibration mode that is entered by holding the ST button while turning on power. I could put it in the menus there. What do you guys think? Poll?

A screen saver isn't possible because I didn't add anything in hardware to control it from the CPU. I'll remember that for future modules though. Is your complaint that you don't like the glow it makes, or something else?
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

User avatar
Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 am
Location: San Rafael, California

Post by Chrutil » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:41 pm

dslocum wrote: Agreed about Daisy / Dolly. There's a Calibration mode that is entered by holding the ST button while turning on power. I could put it in the menus there. What do you guys think? Poll?
Oh, I don't know where I got dolly from, of course I meant daisy. Must have had cloned sheep in my mind.
I haven't entered the calibration menus yet, but I think a demo mode would work like that.
dslocum wrote: A screen saver isn't possible because I didn't add anything in hardware to control it from the CPU. I'll remember that for future modules though. Is your complaint that you don't like the glow it makes, or something else?
Well, first if all it's no big deal at all to me, but it's a mix of worry that I'll burn it out in a year, and a screen that is brighter and a different color that the rest if the system. Neither is a big deal.

Thanks!
C

Vacancy Of Disco
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Post by Vacancy Of Disco » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:41 pm

dslocum wrote:
Chrutil wrote: If there is ever a firmware update for this thing I have two wishes -

1 - Ditch Dolly (Demo Phoneme 64). Having programmed it for a while I do appreciated the effort that must have taken! However when you are programming phonemes using an external sequencer hooked up to Phoneme-CV / Gate , and you accidentally hit phoneme 64 it basically hangs there until it is done playing - it is very disruptive when programming a sequence.


Thanks for a great module!!
C
Agreed about Daisy / Dolly. There's a Calibration mode that is entered by holding the ST button while turning on power. I could put it in the menus there. What do you guys think? Poll?
I haven't had much time to play with mine yet! It's staring at me... Taunting me! But the time I did spend with it I ran into the Daisy problem a little bit. I do appreciate you putting that in there though! But if there was a way to disable it that would be cool. Thanks!

User avatar
whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:52 pm
Location: C-YXD (Edmonton, Canada)

Post by whitewulfe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Okay, after watching a few demos of this modular I definitely want one!

User avatar
Savage
Cogito Pro Mundus
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Currently visiting Earth

Post by Savage » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:33 pm

I was having waaaaaay too much fun with the Scat-Talker last night! Thanks to the ARPABET Dictionary from robotmakers, I was able to sequence the phrase, "I love you, Precious" in somewhere between ten and twenty minutes, maybe less, as I'm including the time to patch up the sequencer, row switching, output, and everything. Including spaces, it worked out to sixteen phonemes. I didn't even tell my wife what it was saying, merely letting her hear the results, and she immediately knew what it was saying, causing a cute grin to appear on her face as she repeated the line with it. I know Doug himself described setting up words and phrases as "tedious", and I admit that I'm already familiar with the concept of stringing together phonemes, but, really, it came together pretty easily with the help of the ARPABET Dictionary and turned out to be very intelligible.

What really surprised me in setting it up was that I couldn't find a 'long i' phoneme in the Votrax listing anywhere! (If there is one and I'm just blind or stupid, someone please point it out to me. I found five different 'i' sounds, none of which were a 'long i', as in mind. Maybe it's there but not listed correctly?) I ended up creating the word "I" with 49 AW2 (salty) and 45 E (meet), which worked sufficiently.

I had another eight spaces from the third sequencer row after the phrase to keep it from running into itself. I may come up with a more efficient way of doing that without using up the sequencer row. I think I want to use it for something else. Since it was precisely 16 phonemes in the phrase, I was already four-in-the-floor. So I sync'ed another sequencer to it with pitch information going to the Scat-Talker's Pitch CV. I then quantized the pitch output so the Scat-Talker was 'singing' rather than 'talking'. Using another sync'ed sequencer, I set up one row with filtered noise for an eight-beat drum line, and a sixteen-beat bass line that was quantized in tune with the Scat-Talker's 'singing'. I then patched up an Emo-like sawtooth keyboard and jammed out over it all for a while.

Tonight, I'm going to add some switching, transposition, and Dotcom RP-20 Ribbon Controller for some change-ups in the madness. When I get it all organized and to my liking, I'll be recording it. I don't usually post music online ("Audio or it didn't happen" has no effect on me because I don't care), but I may have to figure out a way for you folks to hear this one. I usually have everything all planned out before I start patching, but other than the Scat-Talker phoneme phrase, I didn't really plan anything. This tune just kind of 'evolved' with a will of its own.

Edit: Changed ARPANET to ARPABET. You old-timers know why. :hihi:
My hovercraft is full of eels.

User avatar
Chrutil
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 am
Location: San Rafael, California

Post by Chrutil » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:58 pm

Savage wrote:What really surprised me in setting it up was that I couldn't find a 'long i' phoneme in the Votrax listing anywhere! (If there is one and I'm just blind or stupid, someone please point it out to me. I found five different 'i' sounds, none of which were a 'long i', as in mind. Maybe it's there but not listed correctly?) I ended up creating the word "I" with 49 AW2 (salty) and 45 E (meet), which worked sufficiently.
Huh.. I can't find that either. I'm not at home at the moment, but your 49+45 or possibly 49+35 looks like the closest on the list.

User avatar
dslocum
darwin's nemesis
Posts: 1885
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 am
Location: "Exit 89", NJ USA
Contact:

Post by dslocum » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Chrutil wrote:
Savage wrote:What really surprised me in setting it up was that I couldn't find a 'long i' phoneme in the Votrax listing anywhere! (If there is one and I'm just blind or stupid, someone please point it out to me. I found five different 'i' sounds, none of which were a 'long i', as in mind. Maybe it's there but not listed correctly?) I ended up creating the word "I" with 49 AW2 (salty) and 45 E (meet), which worked sufficiently.
Huh.. I can't find that either. I'm not at home at the moment, but your 49+45 or possibly 49+35 looks like the closest on the list.
As far as phonemes are concerned, that "I" sound would actually be a concatenation of two (or more) phonemes. Slow down and listen to yourself pronounce it - 'ah', 'E'.

Try:
AH1, EH3, I3, Y
or
AH1. Y
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

User avatar
fac
wig MUffler
Posts: 3573
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 am
Location: Mexico

Post by fac » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:42 pm

Finally received mine! Serial number 0002 :banana:

User avatar
dslocum
darwin's nemesis
Posts: 1885
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 am
Location: "Exit 89", NJ USA
Contact:

Post by dslocum » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Savage wrote:...I didn't really plan anything. This tune just kind of 'evolved' with a will of its own.
Pretty much what happens to me. I started trying to create a jet airplane engine noise one day, and it ended up as a field full of crickets. Go figure. :hihi:
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

User avatar
dslocum
darwin's nemesis
Posts: 1885
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 am
Location: "Exit 89", NJ USA
Contact:

Post by dslocum » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:50 pm

fac wrote:Finally received mine! Serial number 0002 :banana:
:party: :guinness:

FYI - Serial number 1 went to Boyd Mathews (Dr. Max Mathews son!), so you have the first one 'in the wild' !!!! :yay:
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

User avatar
erroraudio
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:37 am
Location: Danmark

Post by erroraudio » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:22 pm

I will most likely be in L.A in the beginning of Febuary. Will any of these have been shipped to noisebug by then???

Or is there another place around LA where I can find one of these little chatty modules :hihi:


Edit: Two times is have scrolled right past it on their page where it says IN STOCK! :banana:

User avatar
dslocum
darwin's nemesis
Posts: 1885
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 am
Location: "Exit 89", NJ USA
Contact:

Post by dslocum » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:35 pm

erroraudio wrote:I will most likely be in L.A in the beginning of Febuary. Will any of these have been shipped to noisebug by then???

Or is there another place around LA where I can find one of these little chatty modules :hihi:


Edit: Two times is have scrolled right past it on their page where it says IN STOCK! :banana:
Maybe call ahead. From what I understand, they're moving fast!
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

User avatar
erroraudio
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:37 am
Location: Danmark

Post by erroraudio » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:58 pm

dslocum wrote:
erroraudio wrote:I will most likely be in L.A in the beginning of Febuary. Will any of these have been shipped to noisebug by then???

Or is there another place around LA where I can find one of these little chatty modules :hihi:


Edit: Two times is have scrolled right past it on their page where it says IN STOCK! :banana:
Maybe call ahead. From what I understand, they're moving fast!

Thanks for the heads up. Once the trip is booked I will get in contact. If they are sold out what are my options? Will you be shipping more to them?

User avatar
dslocum
darwin's nemesis
Posts: 1885
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 am
Location: "Exit 89", NJ USA
Contact:

Post by dslocum » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:02 pm

erroraudio wrote:
dslocum wrote:
erroraudio wrote:I will most likely be in L.A in the beginning of Febuary. Will any of these have been shipped to noisebug by then???

Or is there another place around LA where I can find one of these little chatty modules :hihi:


Edit: Two times is have scrolled right past it on their page where it says IN STOCK! :banana:
Maybe call ahead. From what I understand, they're moving fast!

Thanks for the heads up. Once the trip is booked I will get in contact. If they are sold out what are my options? Will you be shipping more to them?
They usually (noise)Bug me when they need more. I also have them available on my website.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:15 pm

erroraudio wrote:
dslocum wrote:
erroraudio wrote:I will most likely be in L.A in the beginning of Febuary. Will any of these have been shipped to noisebug by then???

Or is there another place around LA where I can find one of these little chatty modules :hihi:


Edit: Two times is have scrolled right past it on their page where it says IN STOCK! :banana:
Maybe call ahead. From what I understand, they're moving fast!

Thanks for the heads up. Once the trip is booked I will get in contact. If they are sold out what are my options? Will you be shipping more to them?
Just to make sure, you may want to buy one and have Noisebug (or Doug) hold it for you? Waiting until after NAMM might be risky? :eek: 8-)

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:22 pm

This piece has some randomish Scat-Talker non-word mutterings in it for what it's worth:

[video][/video]

User avatar
fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:35 pm
Location: United States

Post by fantastic apparatus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:37 am

order placed. goddamn, you guys gassed me into one of these. the THAT chips for my uncompleted L-1 vocoder are going to have to wait. this will be the only black panel in my 110MU system and the only module that i don't personally build. it's shallow enough too, that it should not be an issue in the top row of my top slant cab which will cut down the number of modules i have to design specifically for that row.

User avatar
erroraudio
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:37 am
Location: Danmark

Post by erroraudio » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:10 am

Yeah I know but the problem with buying from you US guys is the import tax that we get hit with here in Denmark.

User avatar
fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:35 pm
Location: United States

Post by fantastic apparatus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:17 am

Is it worse than buying stuff from the UK? I always cringe when I have to source stuff from there (though the oakley stuff is still a bargain- VAT/exchange rate be damned). Of course, now that the euro is on par with the dollar I have not had to source anything from there. I'm sure the next time I need some German inductors or Italian DOAs the euro will have crept back up to a US$1.50.

drob842
Common Wiggler
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Post by drob842 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:11 pm

Dob wrote:Damnit.
Now I understand the practical use of a ponytail... 'cause pretty soon I won't even be able to get a decent haircut anymore.

:moneyburn:
:yay: :yay:

This module is incredible. I don't think I would use it very often, other than for sheer fun, but I'm glad I read this entire thread, if only for this comment. Well done.

Post Reply

Return to “5U Format Modules”