5U and the soldering iron thing

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Whats your preffered front panel format?

MU
72%
MOTM
28%

Total votes: 180

GiliRose
Common Wiggler

Re: 5U and the soldering iron thing

Post by GiliRose » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:01 pm

Get Back On Topic Notice!
Hey boys and girls - this is a 5U DIY reference post,
I am glad it is still somewhat active, but do get back on topic.
As much as I still have a Soundblaster stashed away somewhere,
I am keen on keeping this a discreet components and solder smoke
thing. Nothing beats DIYing 5U during lockdown!
Too many guitars and PC's, Kurzweil K2600X, K2600R, K2500, Roland D-50, JD-800, JD-990,
JX-10, Casio CZ-1, Yamaha SY-77, TX-7, Novation Bass Station II, Ensoniq SQ80, Ensoniq VFX-SD,
Korg Poly-800, time and patience. and a soldering iron.

m0n0mania
Common Wiggler

Post by m0n0mania » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:58 am

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:45 am

Interesting,

As first blush I thought these were the Roginator clone set :

https://www.resynthesis.shop/epages/zuu ... _MU_Panels

But, nope - a pre-order new line up from Japan. And a spacious design...

m0n0mania wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:58 am
Here's one I've not seen before https://www.pharmasonic.jp/shop/index.p ... r=category
Seeking the esoteric and funky in 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:33 am

JP Desroches(sp?) I think. Knows his stuff, has done quite a few DIY sets over the years. Best get in early, as the only down side seems to be an uneven time frame before things go unavailable. Sometimes forever, sometimes only a while. Generally poositive responses all around.

Right now, this 5U offering has a few people worried who ordered the Pharmasonic Roland700 sequencer for euro and haven't had contact since. Details are in the Roland 700 pharmasonic thread in DIY. Concern existed before pandemic became widespread so it may or may not be a factor.

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Re: DIY dayz

Post by Synth Con Meo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:14 pm

Faustgeist wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:53 pm
A bit of rain and "working" from home allowed me to clean the electronics room. Thank goodness.

And delve into the DIY Kit-Closet! Three Voice of Saturns built - now moving on to two MFOS 16step Sequencers. Hmm, wiring!
I am finally trying to finish up my VOS Sequencer. I actually soldered all the components on the PCB probably 3 - 4 years ago then got to the wiring. Was a bit hesitant to get into that then it got pushed off for other projects. I am going to mount it in it's own case so I can move it around for different setups. With that said I am going wire a 5.5 x 2.1 socket that I can plug a 9V power supply too. Am I correct to assume that I could just use a One Spot power supply (or equivalent) to power it? I am not sure what he MH requirement is.

Thanks
Attachments
VOS Sequencer.jpg
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Re: DIY dayz

Post by Faustgeist » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:21 pm

The BOM does not state the exact power jack which came with my kits... but the break out power board certainly can accept a direct 9v source from either a battery or jack.

https://www.synthrotek.com/kit-assembly ... encer-bom/

Here is the build guide as well for either the 5U kit or the euro kit:

https://www.synthrotek.com/kit-assembly ... tructions/

Hope this helps.
Synth Con Meo wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:14 pm
Faustgeist wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:53 pm
A bit of rain and "working" from home allowed me to clean the electronics room. Thank goodness.

And delve into the DIY Kit-Closet! Three Voice of Saturns built - now moving on to two MFOS 16step Sequencers. Hmm, wiring!
I am finally trying to finish up my VOS Sequencer. I actually soldered all the components on the PCB probably 3 - 4 years ago then got to the wiring. Was a bit hesitant to get into that then it got pushed off for other projects. I am going to mount it in it's own case so I can move it around for different setups. With that said I am going wire a 5.5 x 2.1 socket that I can plug a 9V power supply too. Am I correct to assume that I could just use a One Spot power supply (or equivalent) to power it? I am not sure what he MH requirement is.

Thanks
Seeking the esoteric and funky in 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:49 pm

Thanks Faustgeist. Yeah I have all that information but as you stated nothing really states what kind of MH's it can take. With being able to run off a 9V battery I figured it wouldn't take much but was kind of curious if you or anyone knew for sure. Synthrotek (don't everyone slap me) was local until a couple years or so back. In fact I stopped by there to pick the kit up originally. Anyway, thank you for your response.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:57 pm

If you have a meter set it to amps and put it in series with one of the power rails. V+ suggested as that's usually a higher current draw. Choosing Amps instead of mA's because you don't know what it could be and some meters have a pretty low mA range. Once the Amp range shows that you're low enough not to blow your meter or fuse, switch to the mA range to get a decent reading. Then you'll know for sure for your module.

Repeat with negative rail, and then 5V if present.

It's not hard to do this, but it can feel finicky. You can make it easier to do more often by cobbling up a little Radio Shack project box or hammond 1590 box with appropriate jacks for your meter and modules.
Four banana jacks in a 3/4" 19mm x 1" 25mm square arangement on top of the box lets you use standard banana shorting blocks to bridge the rail your meter is NOT plugged into, and lets you use std banana patchcords to your meter vonthe rail you are measuring.. Use whatever connectors your power needs, one female and one male. A more universal box can have more generic polarized connectors on the ends and then you make up power connector adapters to fit this generic polarized connector and your various module formats.

Can be fancier or much simpler than this if you prefer. A PCB with Brass grommets for the meter 'nana's. Something fly-wired harness-ish.

The big deal is that once you have some sort of easily used setup -or simple procedure- to measure the current draw of your modules, you'll be more likely to actually do it. And that's a very good start to getting better results with your SDIY. And dealing with the discrepancies and vagariesof mfrs current draw specs and claims.

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:13 am

Ok I actually came across the description on Synthroteks Website and it states:

"•Hold Switch pauses sequence, manually steps when clock is off 9V Battery or Power Supply (AC or DC 12V)"
VOS Sequencer kit store page

So it looks like it can take up to a 12v power supply.

I also found a page with a schematic: VOS Sequencer Schematic
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

MarkLaEl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MarkLaEl » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:41 am

I have had great success with modules from Michael Barton (Barton Musical circuits) and YUSynth.

Most of them are easily configured for either +/- 12 or 15V with +5V regulators as part of the circuit where necessary.

Building a module from the PCB upwards is very rewarding, but I always treat myself to Front Panels from Schaeffer to complete the project!

lusoman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lusoman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:27 am

Can anyone recommend a good 5U buffered mult for use with MFOS modules?
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it devastating.

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:12 am

Please tell me if anyone here has an experience with AmSynths AM8109 in MU format.
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:38 am

Another day, another question.

I've bought AMSynths filter in eurorack (about 9cm deep) and want to convert it to MU format.
It will be my first experience and take my fellow engineer for a help.
I understand that I can google answers on the questions below but I can understand it wrong:)

1) Which pots, switches and jacks (and leds/lamps) do you use for your MU modules (if you can recommend US store it will be great). Should I choose any special wiring cable between PCB and jacks/pots or not?
2) Which connector (dotcom type is the best). I don't know but it can be different brands, ...

3) Which service do you use for MU Anodized panels (i prefer it and all other modules are in the same style which I like). Can I take any templates with a standard fonts, graphic, circles icons for a drilling?

4) How do you connect PCBs to panels, if they can't be connected with nut for pots/jacks?

Thank you again
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:56 am

^You'll find these answers in the DIY section of MW.

Return to “5U Format Modules”