5U and the soldering iron thing

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Whats your preffered front panel format?

MU
72%
MOTM
28%

Total votes: 164

Jamnuska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jamnuska » Thu May 19, 2016 12:03 pm

Flareless wrote:
The Canadian dollar is literally in the shitter. While many US and UK products are very reasonably priced, conversion to Canadian dollars is a killer. Even worse is Duty charges. Today I just paid $115 duty for a $650 Dotcom order that cost me over $940 CAD after conversion. Talk about a nightmare.
Stupid question, but aren't Dotcom made in the US? Hence duty free?

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Thu May 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Jamnuska wrote:
Flareless wrote:
The Canadian dollar is literally in the shitter. While many US and UK products are very reasonably priced, conversion to Canadian dollars is a killer. Even worse is Duty charges. Today I just paid $115 duty for a $650 Dotcom order that cost me over $940 CAD after conversion. Talk about a nightmare.
Stupid question, but aren't Dotcom made in the US? Hence duty free?
No duty on US made but I believe we do have to pay GST/PST http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyag ... ng.html#a4

GiliRose
Common Wiggler

As to the last two posts...

Post by GiliRose » Thu May 19, 2016 3:47 pm

As to the last two posts... ... I think they got here by error... ?

However, that just proves another great point for DIY - Customs and VAT!

Hanging from my ceiling is a very heavy-lift 8 motor 16KG professional
grade multi-rotor. It was literally built wire by wire, connector by connector,
motors arriving one by one so as to stay under the import quota -
lots of time and patience - and legally - NO customs!

Hell yeah, I did order the full dotcom power kit and modules, and paid customs
on it much like our Canadian friend - but those many boxes arriving with chips,
resistors, tempcos, PCBs, diodes etc just showed up in the mail with no extra fireworks :-)

I do opt for the occasional Ready-Made module, but do my best to be patient and locate
good second hand gear here on the forum -
and it DOES pay off in mucho $$$ savings!!!
:bananaguitar: :banana: :bananaguitar: :nana: :bananaguitar:
Too many guitars and PC's, Kurzweil K2600X, K2600R, K2500, Roland D-50, JD-800, JD-990,
JX-10, Casio CZ-1, Yamaha SY-77, TX-7, Novation Bass Station II, Ensoniq SQ80, Ensoniq VFX-SD,
Korg Poly-800, time and patience. and a soldering iron.

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Thu May 19, 2016 4:44 pm

I looked into the Customs thing as I was curious as to why I was paying all these extra fees and I was more confused than before I asked....

It seems those were not Customs charges I was paying but more likely additional taxes (provincial sales tax) although the amounts seemed higher than the 13% HST than we pay here in Ontario (yes, it's like dropping the soap in a prison shower). The Customs guy said that unless there were accompanying Customs Invoices (which there were not) then the charges aren't from them. I've been meaning to ask my postal carrier what the charges were all about but I haven't had a chance.

When I order parts from Digikey.ca and ca.mouser.com I'm billed in Canadian dollars plus I pay HST with the order even though the parts are delivered from the USA so I'm guessing our government is just billing us extra for money they don't deserve and didn't earn (not to mention and then spend on things I would never approve).

I should mention that the orders I have placed to the UK for boards (Oakley and Frequency Central) have never had additional charges placed upon them.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Jamnuska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jamnuska » Thu May 19, 2016 5:05 pm

Not in error, just quoting from first page. Not trying to hijack thread.

Yes we are taxed. No customs due to Nafta on N. American made goods but fully taxable. We are supposed to pay duty on stuff from Europe/UK because we have no free trade deal yet. So lucky on you.

I just had to pay duty on a UK made used sailboat I brought in from the US, plus taxes. Dicks.

Just worried you were paying duty on something that you shouldn't (Dotcom modules, confirmed they are made in Texas).

GiliRose
Common Wiggler

Post by GiliRose » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:54 am

OK - Lets get back on track !
I just pulled these here links from the "State of the MOTM" topic...

ArcEnSon

Thanks Coyoteous!
Some modules based on MOTM schematics - If anyone has more info, let us know :-)

http://www.arcenson.com/projects/Modular/
http://synthcube.com/cart/arcenson
https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/pro ... brand=1192

Too many guitars and PC's, Kurzweil K2600X, K2600R, K2500, Roland D-50, JD-800, JD-990,
JX-10, Casio CZ-1, Yamaha SY-77, TX-7, Novation Bass Station II, Ensoniq SQ80, Ensoniq VFX-SD,

jford
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jford » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:55 am

GiliRose wrote: Some modules based on MOTM schematics - If anyone has more info, let us know :-)

http://www.arcenson.com/projects/Modular/
Do they need the services of a web designer, like desperately? :confused:

peachfuzzmcgee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachfuzzmcgee » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:18 am

So talking about DIY I want to try and build the CGS VC ADSR in like probably a 2u panel (I doubt it can fit in a 1u) MU of course. I was just wondering how do you go about powering it? What is this talk about changing the resistor I've only done kits so I'm not sure what would go about with that.

Otherwise anyone know a nice voltage controlled adsr that I can DIY?

GiliRose
Common Wiggler

Post by GiliRose » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:55 am

Hi PeachFuzzMcgee -
It really depends how much Y you want to get into with DIY :-)

CGS, Oakley, MFOS and many others have available PCBs with or
without panels and component kits to give you a good head start.
Take a deep dive into the 1st post on page one, I'm pretty sure you will find
a number of solutions.

And you can go full DIY via the "French Connection"- Yusynth, ACXsynth
and the lot!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:43 am

peachfuzzmcgee wrote:
Otherwise anyone know a nice voltage controlled adsr that I can DIY?
I recently built Frequency Central's System X ADSR and I'm very happy with it. It's a very easy build and works great.

It's a PCB and panel so just add parts, time and solder
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

peachfuzzmcgee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachfuzzmcgee » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:22 pm

oh sorry if I wasnt clear, I wanted something with voltage control over parameters. I wanted to build a cgs vcadsr and drill my own panel but I saw that it was 12v rail to rail and I wanted to figure out how to make it compatible with MU.

that frequency central adsr seems cool if I can mod it to loop or control the parameters that would be rad. currently Im building a MU dusg from synthcube, the wiring is a bit strange to decipher as its not as well documented I feel like the others

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:07 am

I stumbled on this group making DIY PCBs and other components for 5U
http://www.mattsonminimodular.com/shop/ ... cf1f68181a

I don't know anything about them - they seem to offer pre-stuffed boards that only need panel and wiring? A large selection as well.

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:15 am

DrReverendSeance wrote:I stumbled on this group making DIY PCBs and other components for 5U

I don't know anything about them - they seem to offer pre-stuffed boards that only need panel and wiring? A large selection as well.
George Mattson is a very well known and respected member of the synth and modular community, and a great guy! He also has a Manufacturer's Forum Area on Muff's: viewforum.php?f=39 Many people have used his prebuilt pcbs as a basis for a semi-DIY module, they are very good quality and very useful.

Highly recommended!!!
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Dotcom Box 11 case, and Moogerfooger and Minifooger pedals!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:26 pm

Henfield wrote:
DrReverendSeance wrote:I stumbled on this group making DIY PCBs and other components for 5U

George Mattson is a very well known and respected member of the synth and modular community, and a great guy! He also has a Manufacturer's Forum Area on Muff's: viewforum.php?f=39 Many people have used his prebuilt pcbs as a basis for a semi-DIY module, they are very good quality and very useful.

Highly recommended!!!
Agreed! :tu: :loves:

magman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by magman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:05 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but there are a good selection of 5U panel designs avaiable on the Yahoo Group ModularSynthPanels

Quite a few folks from these forums have posted panel designs on here, mostly MOTM designs, but some MU as well. I've had access problems to this group for ages, but just got my access back today, so will be posting a few more designs in the coming weeks.

I believe this group started out from discussions on the Electro Music forums and was used to test out designs for Bridechamber, so hasn't seen a lot of updates recently. I hope to change that slightly. There are plenty of designs in Scaeffer .fpd format that you can easily reproduce though.

Regards

Magman

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:18 am

magman wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but there are a good selection of 5U panel designs avaiable on the Yahoo Group ModularSynthPanels

Quite a few folks from these forums have posted panel designs on here, mostly MOTM designs, but some MU as well. I've had access problems to this group for ages, but just got my access back today, so will be posting a few more designs in the coming weeks.

I believe this group started out from discussions on the Electro Music forums and was used to test out designs for Bridechamber, so hasn't seen a lot of updates recently. I hope to change that slightly. There are plenty of designs in Scaeffer .fpd format that you can easily reproduce though.

Regards

Magman
Is this group accepting new members now?

magman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by magman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:33 am

DrReverendSeance wrote:Is this group accepting new members now?
To be honest, I'm not sure, the Last newby post was from 2015.

You can always try sending an email to this address modularsynthpanels-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and see if anyone responds.

Regards

Magman

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:08 am

magman wrote:

You can always try sending an email to this address modularsynthpanels-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and see if anyone responds.

Regards

Magman
I've tried to join again. I've tried twice before but never received a response, but perhaps third times a charm?

EDITED: just received an auto-email asking me to send an email to Contact at Bridechamber to confirm my identity (and avoid spam). I wonder if the Bridechamber email is still operating?

magman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by magman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:08 am

I just spotted that one new member has been added to the group this week. If this wasn't you, then at least you know someone is still validating membership. If it was you, then welcome to the group. :hihi:

Regards

Magman

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:43 am

DrReverendSeance wrote:
magman wrote:

Regards

Magman
I've tried to join again. I've tried twice before but never received a response, but perhaps third times a charm?

EDITED: just received an auto-email asking me to send an email to Contact at Bridechamber to confirm my identity (and avoid spam). I wonder if the Bridechamber email is still operating?
Just FYI: you might try reaching out to sduck who is a member of both Muff's and modularsynthpanels and he is a moderator here in the 5U section. I don't know if he had any connections or powers to approve members over on modularsynthpanels but I know he has been fairly active there in the past. If you PM him be patient though because he is in the middle of moving his home.

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:24 pm

magman wrote:I just spotted that one new member has been added to the group this week. If this wasn't you, then at least you know someone is still validating membership. If it was you, then welcome to the group. :hihi:

Regards

Magman
That's good news! It wasn't me though.

Thanks for the tip JLR, I'll see if anything comes through the regular channels first.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Oh ya - just got my new uverse set up so I have internet, and my basic cumputur set up also in the new house, so can muff again!

I have no admin powers over on modularsynthpanels. That's all in Scott Deyo's hands, and he seems to be pretty hard to reach on a regular basis these days, it seems.

And this reminds me that I have about a dozen new panels I've never posted up over there - it's not a very friendly user interface, so it takes some time, and I have very little of that it seems.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:23 pm

sduck wrote:I have no admin powers over on modularsynthpanels. That's all in Scott Deyo's hands, and he seems to be pretty hard to reach on a regular basis these days, it seems.
Ahh, that's right! Scott has a Facebook page, but I recently nuked my Facebook pages so I can't ping him.

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:28 am

Oh well, looks like no one is letting new users into the ModularSynthPanels Yahoo group. Just got this message:
Your membership was automatically rejected because the moderator didn't approve it within 14 days. We do this to provide a high quality
of service for our users.

SynthmonkE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SynthmonkE » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:26 pm

For the DIY schematics, are there places to have the pcb and front panel etched if they are not sold? As much as I am into the DIY to save money, I really do not have the space or resources to be messing with pcb etching or panel creation.

Return to “5U Format Modules”