What are your 5U plans for the weekend?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

sbuge
Common Wiggler

Re: What are your 5U plans for the weekend?

Post by sbuge » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:32 am

No but I can take pictures tomorrow...
x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x_x
paitapes.bandcamp.com

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:42 am

hey! been a while.

not had any time to play with modular at all for over a year now :( but back on it now.

My plan for this weekend was to try a cool variable shape filter patch tony told me about in the oakley forum using the oakley SVF and dual vca.

this turned into fuck i tried to plug in a power cable with the modular powered up, and accidently connected 15v to ground, causing a quite impressive spark, and taking out an SVCO and who knows what else yet :waah:

i really need to learn to not do this. ]

hope all your weekends have been better ! :hihi:
Last edited by Paradigm X on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:59 pm

Wiggling on a Snowy Sunday afternoon, with my Box 11 “Space Case”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Dotcom Box 11 case, and Moogerfooger and Minifooger pedals!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:47 pm

Totally spacey! :sb:

We've had nothing but snow falling all day long. Beautiful powder snow! The local ski clubs are loving it.

I've spent some time today rearranging some of my studio. I picked up a used Roland JX-8P the other day and I have to find it a home, MIDI channel, patch bay location, etc...

And since I'm already wiring.... :roll: It never ends

Plus on the 5U side of things I got this bitchin' sounding percussion patch that I'm now working with to see if it goes anywhere.
IMG_3214.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

kcd06
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kcd06 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:50 pm

Apparently, it was my turn to support the 5U manufacturers and Noisebug this month.
DSC_0001.JPG
Happy Nerding Fun VCF, STG Mixer, Moon VC Gate Delay, SSL Thundrum, Dove WTF Oscillator, FSFX Topographic Sequencer
FSFX Klee, Dove Waveplane Oscillator
(Not shown: very much lighter wallet)

By the way, if yall would reserve for me s/n 10 for new modules, I might break down and buy without too many awkward questions...
The most powerful, dangerous, wonderful word in any language occurs when an engineer-type person says "Huh..."

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:15 am

Wow nice haul.

sbuge
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by sbuge » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:30 pm

Henfield wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:03 pm
sbuge wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:29 am
I added noise and slew limiter dirctly to my Box Elevens.

Maybe not the best result :hihi: but I am happy with it :party:

I used shorter pcb legs (1cm) and I screw the pcbs directly to the bottom of box11. There is still space left to insert some shallow modules on top of it.
Do you have pictures to show the mounting of the PCBs?
This is from "Slew box" but "noise box" is similar.
You may ask why the pcb is not straight? Well - there are in the bottom of the box11 couple of holes - so I decided to use two of those. If you put the pcb diagonally you can use those and then you need to drill only two extra holes LOL

Yeah I am lazy ;)
paitapes.bandcamp.com

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:53 pm

K, you know how sometime you have a job that you keep putting off and putting off and putting off etc...

Mine was to convert my own, personal Fixed Filter Bank into a Fixed Filter Bank Pro. After all.... why should everyone else have all the fun :hihi:

So this weekend I finally sat down and upgraded my filter and I can't be happier! Fixed Filter Banks by themselves are fantastic for sculpting sounds. Folks who have never used one may think "big deal, it's an EQ" but it really is far more.
IMG_3310 (1).jpeg
Ok.... enough fun toys for me. Back to work 8-)
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 am

hopefully next weekend I will be building a Plaits in MU. maybe also some FFB tweaking.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:19 am

ha, me too. except in motm.

was perfect serendipity, my mate has bought a microfreak and i was really impressed with it. then i saw the post about the motm version and i was like :party: :75:

this weekend i had a really cool jam in my studio, for the first time in ages. Had to move and rebuild everything but its finally almost perfect, and sounds awesome. Im so happy. My old dynacords and Dominion are back from the repair shop, ive fixed a few other bits myself, and wired it up. Sounding incredible.

we did manage a recording of a decent 100% oakley modular (except a little step sequencer - make yours 5u tony please!) and tm3030 jam. ill have a listen back and post it if its as good as the late night music goggles (?) suggested :hihi:

cheers

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:41 am

hamildad wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 am
hopefully next weekend I will be building a Plaits in MU. maybe also some FFB tweaking.
got a dreaded card through the door, meaning I had missed the PCB and panel delivery, will try to pick up the parcel this evening..

then its Plaits in MU all weekend.

:goo:
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 am

ha mine arrived today too. i havent ordered the other bits off the bom yet tho. ILl do that this weekend and stuff what i can.

:sb:

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:35 pm

Well, I got into the studio this morning and bashed this one out. About all the time I'm going to have for fun with the 5U. I snuck-in an Instruo Harmonaig to handle the chord voicings and a Z-DSP with Halls of Valhalla for nirvana. Description of the patch below.

I had some fun with INSTRUo Harmonaig and a few select 5U modules.
The modulation to the Harmonaig (Inversion and Voicing) was with a pair of STG Soundlabs Voltage Mini Store modules.
The main transpose sequence was from a Mini Sequencer built by Synthetic Sound Labs.
The pattern gate selection and VMS stepping were done with the STG Time Divider.
Some magic mojo was stirred in with the selection of dotted notes against straight notes. The Trigger Sequencer was the Moon Modular 563. It sent gate timings to the four voices run through the SSL Octal VCA and AD/AR Expander.
The four oscillators were a Mos Lab 901 bank, DDVCO, SSL 1200 and Q106.
Filters included Yusynth Arp 4072, Dotcom Q107 in high pass mode and Mos Lab 904-A.
The final reverb is the Z-DSP from TipTop Audio with a "Halls of Valhalla" card.

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Well, my modular can talk to me now (as well as make a lot of other new noises as well, now that I have added this........
2768DB57-4652-439C-9666-4DB475CA662D.jpeg
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Dotcom Box 11 case, and Moogerfooger and Minifooger pedals!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:43 pm

I was playing around in the studio this weekend and I connected an old Dauz drum pad I had lying around to my modular as an input source.

The Dauz is basically a microphone encased in a shell with a 1/4" output. I connected the output into a BMC030 Instrument Interface and took the envelope signal and ran it into a CGS62 Slope detector.

From there I was able to generate 3 envelopes; one on rise, one on fall and one on steady.

I connected a few oscillators up to a few filters (feeding an Oakley DLF back into itself) and got some cool effects.

IMG_3488.jpeg

I had shot a video of the process but can't seem to get it off of my iPhone so I uploaded a segment of the sound to SoundCloud

Rich

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm

I've posted a video of the drum pad / modular session in the video section
Rich

dml
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dml » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:02 am

Unfortunately, I have NO 5U plans for the weekend as the University, where I have my modular housed, is shut down for the rest of the month due to the Corona virus. I'm gonna have to find contentment with my Oberheim Xpander this weekend.

~ D.
Best,

dml

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:24 am

dml wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:02 am
Unfortunately, I have NO 5U plans for the weekend as the University, where I have my modular housed, is shut down for the rest of the month due to the Corona virus. I'm gonna have to find contentment with my Oberheim Xpander this weekend.

~ D.
TOTAL bummer! :bang:

DaviT
Common Wiggler

Post by DaviT » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:20 pm

Nice sunday to y'all!

DaviT
Common Wiggler

5U Moon Modular Patch & Tweak no#15

Post by DaviT » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Second part of the series exploring the Moon Modular case, using the strymon Bluesky and El Capistan. Just launching ableton clips..
Be safe everyone!!

HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HowDoIKnow » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Really lovely Davit - well done!

hdik
Berlin School Sequencer Addict

HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HowDoIKnow » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:12 pm

Both videos...really lovely Davit - well done!

hdik
Berlin School Sequencer Addict

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:23 pm

My new plan is to release one track per week during quarantine period. It will help me not to lose my mind ;)
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm

My plan for the weekend: getting my newly acquired 5U modular pieces set up and running! :sb:

Teaser from Instagram:

I also have a few Oakley MU modules and one MOTM module, for which I need to make adapter cables to attach them to the Marienberg Precision PSU ... or maybe I‘ll just make a little power distribution board with MU / MOTM connectors that plugs into the PSU. Either way ... I‘ll need power cables. I already screwed some wooden mounting boards into my synth wardrobe today real quick, so that I don‘t need to worry about screw hole spacings and module widths with this mix of 5U formats. Really looking forward to this new project!

The VC Envelope prototype which I received from Marienberg looks bonkers. I‘ll post more info about that as soon as I’m allowed to talk about it. I‘ll also film some videos with their VC Multimode Filter.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

zeta
Common Wiggler

Post by zeta » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:19 pm

Here is the eternal weekend since weekends.
Switch on/wow, lights/off, family on.
Racks'NTracks ig.welt_am_draht

Return to “5U Format Modules”